A strange request...

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Took a call from a long time client of mine today and his request has thrown me for a loop. Maybe someone here has input or ideas that would help.

Client has Hikvision NVR and Hikvision cameras set to record on motion. Something happened at his house last week that he needs to take a 54 second motion clip from one of his cameras, edit this clip (trim out a few seconds), and put it back onto the NVR so that this clip in question can be played back from his app. He has a professional video editing guy who can do the actual editing. I know the time stamp will be a problem, but other than that is this even possible?

I told him there's no way due to the fact that it needs to be played back from the NVR but the reward for this is substantial so it's worth a shot to ask.

Any ideas?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A strange request indeed. Either this request comes from simple incompetence (not knowing how to play a video any other way than through the NVR's app) … or the intent could be less innocent in which case you should not want anything to do with it.

NVRs aren't usually designed to accept clips from other sources. It can be done, for example, with Blue Iris, but a Hik NVR is completely different and not nearly as open of a system. I doubt you even have write access to the directory where the NVR would store the clip. I also don't know what format the NVR uses for clips, or what (if any) metadata is stored about each clip or how to repair said metadata after modifying a clip.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This sounds like straight tampering with a video to hide some evidence.. Or at least something very fishy if you ask me :D

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Probably nefarious since you could just save the clip and say it was exported from the NVR.

Also you cant write to the NVR as mentioned above.