A 'what camera,' and, 'what PC' thread

tenohfive

n3wb
Reaction score
I've recently set up a small system using a PC with BI, and my first camera is an IPC-HDBW4631R-ZS (picked up for £60 through a Warehouse Deal.) I'm pretty happy with it, it covers an area that I'm most interested in motion detection both during the day and at night time.

I'd like to add a couple more - one to cover the front where I'm most interested in daytime image sharpness, and a second to cover the back where night vision and motion detection are the priorities.

For around £100 each are there any cameras the forum would recommend?

Second question, I really need to put together a PC to run as a server. I can't imagine I'll get beyond 4 cameras. I'm wondering what the minimum spec I'd need to run comfortably would be. I've currently got an AMD Phenom X4 955BE, 16GB DDR2 and a 650W PSU. Can I re-use some/all of that, chuck in a 64GB SSD and suitable HDD and be confident it'll hold up? Or should I build something from the ground up?

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've recently set up a small system using a PC with BI, and my first camera is an IPC-HDBW4631R-ZS (picked up for £60 through a Warehouse Deal.) I'm pretty happy with it, it covers an area that I'm most interested in motion detection both during the day and at night time.

I'd like to add a couple more - one to cover the front where I'm most interested in daytime image sharpness, and a second to cover the back where night vision and motion detection are the priorities.

For around £100 each are there any cameras the forum would recommend?

Second question, I really need to put together a PC to run as a server. I can't imagine I'll get beyond 4 cameras. I'm wondering what the minimum spec I'd need to run comfortably would be. I've currently got an AMD Phenom X4 955BE, 16GB DDR2 and a 650W PSU. Can I re-use some/all of that, chuck in a 64GB SSD and suitable HDD and be confident it'll hold up? Or should I build something from the ground up?
The recommendation is to get an Intel CPU that support QuickSync. BI can use that to accelerate with hardware.

I am currently using BI on a Windows instance under ESXi. It burns through a lot of CPU. I have one permanent camera and am working on a second install. I think I am ok for now, but the third or fourth camera will peg my CPU. Currently, looking to get a dedicated PC that can be controlled remotely.

You can use what you have for maybe a couple of Cameras but once you go with many cameras you will want to follow the recommendations.

There is a Wiki up top which talks about the hardware requirements.

tenohfive

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn't realise there was a wiki, that was a great link.
If I'm honest I was looking for an excuse to upgrade my main PC under the guise of donating the parts to the CCTV system, but it looks like Intel is the way ahead. I've taken the wiki advice (and comments above) and ordered a manufacturer refurbed Zoostorm with an i5-6400, 4GB RAM and 120GB SSD. I've also ordered a 3TB WD Purple - I considered the 4TB for an extra £25, but figured that the main captures I'd be interested in are motion.
RAM if it's DDR3 (they don't say on specs) will get upgraded to 16GB when I eventually upgrade the main PC, but 4GB should do me for now.

Will I have any licencing issues installing BI on the new system - I won't need a second licence or anything will I?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tenohfive.. you can move the bi license between systems. You can also save and move your configuration. See the wiki and the bi help files.