A word of caution regarding Liftmaster 888LM wall control

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your typical garage door lighted button, lighted doorbell button, and many older thermostats all work on the same principal. They use a small amount of current to light up or otherwise function without using so much that they trigger the the relay or other circuity to make things like your garage door open/close or furnace turn on.

Liftmaster has some wall control panels like the 888LM for their garage door openers that use more power in order to add some functions like:
-MyQ support to older openers
-Motion sensing for the light
-Automatic closing of the door
1581799636046.png

I've recommended them from time to time on various forums.

Unfortunately, sometimes the electrolytic capacitors that power them fail. When that happens, there can be spikes in power consumption large enough to make the opener think the button was pressed. Meaning the garage door may open itself (extra closings would typically go unnoticed). This has been reported in various reviews and forums. If your handy with a soldering iron it's easy enough to repair, but I'd tend to remove it and do something else that's powered independently to automate your garage door.

Liftmaster has an extended the warranty on this part and will replace it with the new model the 889LM through September 2023 They claim the incidence of of problems is small, but in my view it's largely a matter of time, temperature, and capacitor batch. People in hotter climates will likely experience this sooner.

This is likely part of the reason, some of their newer openers now use a special serial protocol with the wall control and are no longer compatible with doorbell buttons or various third party accessories.

Paging @Mike @wantafastz28 and anyone else who may have installed one of these.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had this exact failure mode with one of my two 888LM wall control panels. LM replaced it with a 889LM, as described above.