Abus TVIP 21550 / 21551 / 21000 motion detection not compatible with QNAP NVR

DiliMe

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Looking for some advice if anyone has experience with an Abus TVIP 21550 camera (model sold also as 21551 and similar to 21000). Camera is pretty old (from year 2011 and is ONVIF 1.02 compatible).
Here are the specs of the camera: ABUS IR Pan/Tilt 1.3 MPx WLAN Network Camera (TVIP21551)

Abus TVIP 21550 is not listed in QNAP compatibility list.
In QNAP Surveillance Station (SS) I have added the camera as ONVIF ProfileS and it works OK connecting to it and recording on schedule.
Also, it records OK files to \\NAS network folder on motion detection.
My big problem is that I cannot make it to record on motion detection in QNAP SS.
I have tried without success all other ONVIF options available in QNAP SS (Grundig, Bosch, LevelOne, Everfocus, etc) and of course I have tried all the other Abus TVIP models.

Does anyone know how I can accomplish this motion detection? Or if the same camera is rebranded by other OEM manufacturer with different name?

Thank you in advance!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My big problem is that I cannot make it to record on motion detection in QNAP SS.
A likely cause is that the camera does not generate ONVIF events for motion. Despite it natively supporting motion detection capabilities. That's not uncommon.
A way to confirm this would be with 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
ODM will automatically find all ONVIF devices on the same IP segment as the PC.
Give it some logon credentials (top left of the window) and you can see if any motion or other events get generated in the Events page.

DiliMe

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you Alastair for the suggestion,

I have used ONVIF Device Manager and I cooled down and relaxed after that. It couldn't work simply because Abus TVIP21550 is ONVIF 1.02 compatible while record on motion is defined in ONVIF 2.2 (which I think is not even part of Profile S which was defined for ONVIF 2.0).
Alternatively I have also browsed the internet for more information. Based on this discussion Onvif Version Compatibility - CCTV Forum there's a reputable member from IPVM organization who states that there is very low probability for ONVIF 1.x products to trigger motion events on VMS/NVR devices ONVIF 2.x Profile S.
In this case I shall be happy that it works in QNAP SS on scheduled recording 24/7 as an ONVIF Profile S device or the option to record on motion detection on \\NAS folders.

Cheers!

DiliMe

n3wb
Reaction score
... ooh, another problem is that in ODM it doesn't even lists the SystemLog or the Events, so there's not very much extra info to be digested from ODM.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
there's not very much extra info to be digested from ODM
Sometimes pretty useful as they are not in product documentation are the 'RTSP URL' at the bottom of the Live Video page, and the 'ONVIF port' in the URL at the Identification page for non-native generic NVR connections.

I'm not sure if this still exists in Surveillance Station - if the camera can generate an HTTP notification on motion, there is (or used to be, ages since I looked) a 'user defined event' in SS that can be triggered with an HTTP GET.

DiliMe

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I find it a very nice ideea to trigger an HTTP notification on motion as the camera seems to support it. But unfortunately it seems that the QNAP SS user-defined HTTP events it is having bugs, as I am receiving error.

http://192.168.1.5:8080/cgi-bin/logical ... ?name=buzz. I have associated a neutral action to activate the Buzzer of the NAS.
gives the same error that you also received 3-4 years ago. But it looks that it worked for you on a new SS release.

Browser message shows:
"input name=[buzz]
logical input trigger error ret=-1"

I will open a helpdesk ticket with QNAP.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting - and potentially promising.
One thing I did find, and I suspect you've seen this already, is that the name is case sensitive.
Hopefully the Help desk will be helpful - they usually are.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
And one more thing I just remembered - it's tied to the IP address of the source, so testing on the PC is problematic.

DiliMe

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Alastair,
I do not understand what you mean with
it's tied to the IP address of the source, so testing on the PC is problematic.
Can you please be a little bit more specific?
I tried testing it from my Windows IE/Firefox browsers and I also tested from the ABUS HTTP Event trigger, but unortunately I receive a Bad URL message.

PS: I figured it that it might be case sensitive

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
it's tied to the IP address of the source, so testing on the PC is problematic.
Sorry if that was not clear.
What I meant was - the HTTP trigger for the motion event is associated with the IP address of the camera that it's being set up for.
When you try to test it from a browser on the PC, it fails, because the PC IP address is not the same as that of the camera (the intended source) that the event is being created for.
PS: I figured it that it might be case sensitive
Yes, it is case sensitive.