Access 10.x.x.x subnet from 192.x.x.x

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys - just setup my Dahua NVR + 4 Hikvision IPCs. The Dahua NVR receives a 192.x.x.x address (since it's directly connected to my router) but the cameras sit on 10.x.x.x.

The Dahua NVR does populate the "IE" icon which is a link to the camera (10.1.1.3 as an example), but I would need to have my laptop connected directly the to the NVR and have to change my ethernet adapter settings to the 10.1.1.1 subnet.

Is there a way for me to access the cameras web GUI without having to physically connect my laptop to the NVR and change my adapter settings each time? Can this be achieved through a managed switch, static route or VLAN/bridging in the router? I've done plenty of searching on the forums but cannot find a straight forward approach.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Dahua NVR does populate the "IE" icon which is a link to the camera (10.1.1.3 as an example), but I would need to have my laptop connected directly the to the NVR and have to change my ethernet adapter settings to the 10.1.1.1 subnet.
OK, with NVR and laptop on the same LAN (192.x.x.x subnet) what happens now when you're viewing the screen that is connected to the NVR and with the NVR's mouse you click on the cam's "IE" icon?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 - all you need to do is type in the IP address of the NVR if you have a computer on the same 192.x.x.x range. You do not need to connect your laptop to the NVR and change the subnet to 10.X.X.X.

Then log into the NVR GUI and then click the "e" from that screen.

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The link URL’s out to 10.1.1.3 and nothing happens. This is over wifi, with no adapter changes.

When connecting via LAN cable to the NVR with adapter changes to the 10.x subnet, the page opens with no problems.

I am trying to achieve this over wifi and without having to change my adapter settings each time I want to modify the camera image.

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
+1 - all you need to do is type in the IP address of the NVR if you have a computer on the same 192.x.x.x range. You do not need to connect your laptop to the NVR and change the subnet to 10.X.X.X.

Then log into the NVR GUI and then click the "e" from that screen.
It does not work because the cameras sit on the 10.x subnet

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes it does work. I did it all the time as does everyone else with a Dahua NVR.

I have TeamViewer helped many people as well and it works the way we say. We didn't have to change their IP address to get the camera gui (plus we would have lost the teamviewer connection).

If your Dahua NVR and computer are both connected to the same 192.x.x.x. then it works. If it doesn't then you are doing something wrong.

Maybe it is timing out over wifi.

Connect your laptop by wire to your router and then type in the NVR IP address in Internet Explorer. Up comes the NVR login page and log in. Then hit the e and it will go right to the cameras.

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes it does work. I did it all the time as does everyone else with a Dahua NVR.

I have TeamViewer helped many people as well and it works the way we say. We didn't have to change their IP address to get the camera gui (plus we would have lost the teamviewer connection).

If your Dahua NVR and computer are both connected to the same 192.x.x.x. then it works. If it doesn't then you are doing something wrong.

Maybe it is timing out over wifi.

Connect your laptop by wire to your router and then type in the NVR IP address in Internet Explorer. Up comes the NVR login page and log in. Then hit the e and it will go right to the cameras.
It's not working, I have tried this in various forms. I connected my laptop directly to the router and the NVR is connected directly the router as well. The NVR receives a static 192.168.1.254 address (which I setup in the NVR). I can access the NVR page with no issues.

When I click on the "E" icon, it tries to connect to 10.1.1.3 (one of my cameras) and just times out.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then it is probably a bandwidth issue in your network timing out. Confirm your subnet masks are the same in the NVR, camera, router, and computer.

But it should work as we described.

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Then it is probably a bandwidth issue in your network timing out. Confirm your subnet masks are the same in the NVR, camera, router, and computer.

But it should work as we described.
Is it because the cameras are configured as ONVIF?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It shouldn't make a difference.

Post a screenshot of what happens when it tries and doesn't connect.

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Same error over WiFi and LAN cable to the router. But if I connect to the NVR, the camera page comes up.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, so it sees it and is timing out. That could be a network or NVR bandwidth issue. Which NVR do you have and how many cameras? But I am leaning towards a bottleneck somewhere in your network.

It says you are on Firefox and could be hitting a firewall in the router. Try Explorer. Explorer is baked into Windows, so you do not need to download it. Simply type in the search bar Explorer and it will come up.

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, so it sees it and is timing out. That could be a network or NVR bandwidth issue. Which NVR do you have and how many cameras? But I am leaning towards a bottleneck somewhere in your network.

It says you are on Firefox and could be hitting a firewall in the router. Try Explorer. Explorer is baked into Windows, so you do not need to download it. Simply type in the search bar Explorer and it will come up.
I’m fairly certain it’s not a timeout issue. It instantly connects via a LAN cable to the NVR.

but for isolation purposes here it the error through IE:

Attachments

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What's the full URL the icon is pointing to? It will never connect from a 192.x.x.x to 10.x.x.x without some sort of router in between or a static route manually entered into your router.

What if you take that full URL, remove the 10.x.x.x address and replace it with the 192.x.x.x IP of the NVR? If it works, it seems like the NVR is putting the wrong IP on the "E" icon.

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What's the full URL the icon is pointing to? It will never connect from a 192.x.x.x to 10.x.x.x without some sort of router in between or a static route manually entered into your router.

What if you take that full URL, remove the 10.x.x.x address and replace it with the 192.x.x.x IP of the NVR? If it works, it seems like the NVR is putting the wrong IP on the "E" icon.
yes I believe I need to create a static route on my router. I have an Orbi, any instructions on what should go in here?
Info:
-NVR gets an IP of 192.168.1.254 (connected directly to router)
-cameras all get 10.1.1.x address

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I don't really think that's what needs to be done or is the problem. That would mean your NVR needs another direct LAN connection from the 10.x.x.x NIC to an interface on the router. The router can't magically route to a 10.x.x.x address when it isn't physically connected to that subnet.

Have you tried using the 192.x.x.x IP in place of the 10.x.x.x in the full URL? The point of that "E" icon is to allow you to directly connect to the cameras which are on the NVR subnet while you are on the 192.x.x.x subnet. The NVR is acting like the router in that situation.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The NVR essentially has two NICs - one for the internet (one IP address range) and the other for the cameras (another IP address range). The NVR serves as the go between for the two to allow you to access the 10.x.x.x when on the 192.x.x.x subnet.

My home IP is 192.168.1.X and my NVR is 192.168.1.300. The cameras are assigned by the NVR 10.1.1.X range. From my computer in another room, I simply go to Explorer and type in 192.168.1.300 and up comes my NVR login page and I login and then go to that page and hit the e and it goes to my camera gui.

This is no different than what we do for Blue Iris to access the camera GUI, or how anyone else connects to the camera GUI by logging into the NVR GUI.

It is a networking bottleneck/restriction somewhere in your system.