Access Hikvision NVR PoE Cameras via WiFi

abhinandan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to ask if it is possible to access the individual camera IPs (192.168.254.XXX) for RTSP streaming via a Wifi Connection to the same router as the one the NVR is connected to. As of now, the NVR was on a different subnet because of the LAN connection, but I managed to tweak this and can now access the NVR web browser management page via WiFi. I can even access the individual cameras via unique ports (192.168.50.18:6500X) and can view their feed on the web browser. However, for RTSP streaming, I need to access the internal IPs of the cameras since the RTSP port is fixed at 554. Basically, I want to access this camera feed via OpenCV for some AI applications.

If anyone has done this before or knows how to go about it, please help out since I am new to networking and I don't quite understand why I am unable to access the individual camera IPs despite being connected to the same router as the NVR and even being able to access the NVR itself.

Thanks in advance!

-Abhi

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to ask if it is possible to access the individual camera IPs (192.168.254.XXX) for RTSP streaming via a Wifi Connection to the same router as the one the NVR is connected to.
Leaving aside for the moment the fact that running RTSP camera streams over WiFi is going to be a troublesome and unreliable arrangement (loads of posts about problems doing that) ...
Yes, Hikvision NVR PoE-connected cameras can be directly accessed from NVR LAN IP addresses, by making a couple of network changes.
Example how to :

abhinandan

n3wb
Reaction score
Leaving aside for the moment the fact that running RTSP camera streams over WiFi is going to be a troublesome and unreliable arrangement (loads of posts about problems doing that) ...
Yes, Hikvision NVR PoE-connected cameras can be directly accessed from NVR LAN IP addresses, by making a couple of network changes.
Example how to :
Thank you! Correct me if I am wrong, but this is to access the camera feed via RTSP while connected to the same router as the NVR through a LAN connection. However, my question was how to access the camera feed if I am connected to the same router as the NVR through a WiFi connection. Please help out if you know how this can be done.

Moreover, the method you have suggested does not seem to work for me...
I have enabled virtual host and set the IP camera default gateway to 192.168.254.1. I have also added static routes from 192.168.254.1 and 192.168.254.3 (IP camera internal address) to the <NVR_LAN_Interface_IP_Address> in my router admin website. But when I ping 192.168.254.1 or 192.168.254.3, I do not receive any response. My SADP tool application can find the NVR when I am connected through LAN or WiFi to the router, but it cannot see the IP camera. Please do help out if you can identify what I am doing wrong.

Thank you in advance!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
However, my question was how to access the camera feed if I am connected to the same router as the NVR through a WiFi connection. Please help out if you know how this can be done.
Yes, that should work OK, provided the WiFi is using the same DHCP server and settings as LAN-connected devices.

I have also added static routes from 192.168.254.1 and 192.168.254.3 (IP camera internal address) to the <NVR_LAN_Interface_IP_Address> in my router admin website.
You need to create a static route for the 192.168.254.0/24 network, as opposed to for devices on that network.
Presumably in the router configuration for the static route, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255 was used for a device, instead of the needed 255.255.255.0 for the 192.168.254.0 network.

abhinandan

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, that should work OK, provided the WiFi is using the same DHCP server and settings as LAN-connected devices.

You need to create a static route for the 192.168.254.0/24 network, as opposed to for devices on that network.
Presumably in the router configuration for the static route, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255 was used for a device, instead of the needed 255.255.255.0 for the 192.168.254.0 network.
Thank you! The streaming of camera feed over Local Network (both LAN and WiFi) are working! For anyone who runs into the same problems, I created static routes for BOTH 192.168.254.0 and 192.168.254.24, using 255.255.255.0 subnet mask and <NVR_LAN_Interface_IP_Address> as gateway.