Access IP camera via VPN

Gojko

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a problem with IP camera. Namely, I can't enable port forwarding (my NAT is behind NAT router on ISP's side) and the camera doesn't support P2P connection.

Is the VPN only option to access remotely? If it is, can you provide me steps how to connect camera to VPN?

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a problem with IP camera. Namely, I can't enable port forwarding (my NAT is behind NAT router on ISP's side) and the camera doesn't support P2P connection.

Is the VPN only option to access remotely? If it is, can you provide me steps how to connect camera to VPN?
You should be using a vpn either way

VPN Primer for Noobs

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your behind a double NAT your fucked; P2P is the only option you have so you better trust whatever Chinese servers havent been compromised.

unless you can run a Point to Point VPN link to another network you maintain your not going to get a VPN Server to work if you cant make any inbound connections.

Gojko

n3wb
Reaction score
If your behind a double NAT your fucked; P2P is the only option you have so you better trust whatever Chinese servers havent been compromised.

unless you can run a Point to Point VPN link to another network you maintain your not going to get a VPN Server to work if you cant make any inbound connections.

I'm behind double NAT... That's a problem..

I have the next features on camera: Port mapping (there're few fields for multicast setting), HTTPs, IEEE 802.1x, SNMP, RTP, Type of service, UPnP, Bonjour and ONVIX.

Maybe I can enable remote access using some of these features?

It's unbelievable that camera which costs over 600$ doesn't give me remote access... :(

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Its your ISP thats not permtting your Remote Access; not the camera.. P2P is considered by most to be a security backdoor and its found largely on consumer cameras.. Inbound connections are typically required for remote access

what camera?

Gojko

n3wb
Reaction score
It's ACTi b41 IP camera... ISP doesn't permit port forwarding, but what about VPN? I've never created it. Does it require port forwarding to?

I was planing to create VPN server on network where camera is connected (or buy 3G router with VPN service), install VPN client on my PC and access remotely.

But, if it is not possible, the only remeaning solution is NVR with P2P?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You cant run a VPN Server on that network if you cant make inbound connections.. you may be able to do it the other way around and run a VPN Server on your remote PC and have a VPN Client on your 3G network make an outbound connection to your external VPN Server...

its called a Site2Site VPN and its used to bridge 2 networks into one, one router runs a VPN Server, the other Router runs a VPN Client.. the VPN Server has to be remotely connectable, so it cannot run on your 3G connection.

Gojko

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't know how to access it remotely.

NVR with P2P?