Access logging for people and vehicles...

sharza

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

Being unable to determine the best forum, I take my chances and post here. Should it fit better somewhere else, feel free to move the post.

Aight - Im quite new to all this, and even after extended knowledge gathering, I find myself in a situation of confusion... or rather... lack of knowledge to make the right decision. I got the various terms in place, and have tested a number of vms softwares, including BlueIris - which was easy (somehow) to setup, and kinda works nicely enough for normal motion detected video captures.

The project I'm set out on (ambitious maybe... but still its the path I've begun travelling nonetheless ;-) ) involves having my cameras setup for motion detected video captures, with access logging of persons and vehicles based on facial recognition and license plate retrieval.

I'm not entirely sure BI is the right choice here, and hope to benefit a bit from some of the experience present here in the forums, to avoid endless trials of various non-fitting software/setups.

I could do scripted events in BI, which did the facial recognition/license plate retrieval through some of the various online deep learning cloud solutions - for a cost. I'd rather not go that route, as the development would be on me, and I'd kinda like to avoid that - it might be the end of it, and not too scary per se.

So my question would be something along the lines of:

Does anyone know of a suitable solution, which has full face recognition/license plate retrieval - either built in, or via a plugin/add-on module, which suits the needs of access logging and identification of these, especially unknown ones - preferably with a good management interface, and plugin/add-on support as well. Is there any of these?

It looks like XProtect might fit the bill, but it looks like the add-ons needed exceeds whats possible with the Essential version, which pushes the price point pretty much through the roof.

Cost does not neccessarily need to be minimal, but on the other hand I'd like to avoid products in the several $1000's range.

Thanks alot in advance for all your time and advice :)

- Sharza

hikwpg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They type of advanced analytics you require aren’t going to be cheap.

Have you thought about tying the access control to the camera?
A simple method involves using the relay output of the access control board to trigger the alarm contact on the camera. This would provide and event log for all access granted. If your access controller has programmable outputs, you could also configure a relay to fire for access denied and send that to a second alarm input in the camera for access denied.

The basic camera motion detection would work fine for most VMS applications and the advanced detection in some of the newer Hikvision cameras give you some very reliable detection tools.

This includes facial recognition! ( line crossing is nice for vehicles too)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sharza

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks alot for the input @hikwpg

The cameras I have include face recognition, object removal, line crossing and linked scene following of movable objects (people etc). iVMS 4200 can do something, however I find it very unintuitive, and don't seem to really fit the bill for me - alone that is.

I do not have any physical access control hardware in place at the time - it is planned for the future, depending on a number of factors. What I mostly want right now, is monitoring of people and vehicles, logging of times where they have been seen by the cameras, wether they are known/unknown, and the ability to alert on e.g. unknown trespassers within certain timeframes.

I have no idea about the magnitude of such a solution. I might end up scripting the stuff myself, however, as mentioned I would prefer not to. I am not unwilling to pay for a solution, but for several $1000 I can go a very long way with using e.g. Rekognition or similar services - depending on the activity on my cameras.

So I am really trying to identify my options... I quickly realized it probably would be an easy task, I am however not yet sure of how difficult it will be for me to reach my goal :)

hikwpg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Keep in mind, you can set an event strictly for logging purposes. With most VMS software, you can program macros or rules based on alarm triggers. Some clients like snapshots of access events. We typically set up different after-hours rules. For example, I like to set schedules based on whether the building security is armed or disarmed. You can link PTZ positions to these events. When the building is armed, the PTZ tightens up on a trouble area or access door. We have also set up tracking for large vehicle compounds. Using the motion detection of a fixed camera to trigger a preset of a PTZ camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk