access outside of local internet

shera

n3wb
Reaction score
i am having a problem being able to view webcam from outside of local internet. camera is airsight. using belkin router. and using hughesnet hub/router. any assistance is greatly appreciated. thanks !

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hugesnet is your problem; thats about the worst "Broadband" you could have for this... latency is atrocious (at least 1 whole second) and upstream speeds are simply not capable of streaming video well, 1Mbps is not adequate for even a single HD video stream (be prepared to live with camera at lowest possible quality settings)... And I almost guarantee you they are blocking you from running anything on port 80 (http) so you'd have to run it off a non-standard port first.

Can you provide more details about your problem? Cant connect? Poor Video? Errors?

Given your poor connectivity I'd suggest forgoing remote viewing and setup some sort of alert to email you snapshots.. It'll be more effective and allow higher quality.

We facetime with family on Hugesnet regularly; they can see us perfect but our view is just a talking blob of pixels.. then you add in the latency and it starts to become painful, but hey the grandparents get to see there grandson and thats the whole point.. in my experience facetime uses much less bandwidth than an HD IP Camera so I wouldn't have high hopes for real time remote viewing... I also hate to tell you that camera is pretty much junk for what they cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

shera

n3wb
Reaction score

yes, hughesnet sucks, but we live out in the middle of no where, and that is only service available.

how do i check to see if they are blocking ort 80 ? how do I change to port other than 80 ?

on blue iris, under webserver, there is an external ip showing. but not able to access anything on that ip address.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A quick search confirms they block port 80 and port 8080 and probably a ton of other ports..

To change ports you have to reconfigure your blueiris; no idea how I dont use it.. you will then have to port forward the ports from your router to your software, you'll have to contact Hugesnet for help with that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In blue iris under blue iris options > webserver tab> enable the http webserver on port ...change it to 8585. Now you need to port forward 8585 on your router to point to port 8585 on the lan ip of your blue iris machine. http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/
please provide the model number of the hughesnet hub/router...if its in router mode this will cause a problem.
I

shera

n3wb
Reaction score
I have change the port in blue iris >webserver tab > from 80 to 8585.

hughesnet is HT1100 system / belkn wireless router N510

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The HT1100 is a standalone modem, so you are good. Just port forward 8585 on the router and point to your blue iris local lan address and you are good to go.
Remember when you log in externally you will need to use your external ipaddres followed by :8585 for example 432.234.43.123:8585
The colon 8585 points to port 8585

shera

n3wb
Reaction score
make sure I did this right .... on webserver tab ... I enabled "descript" BLUE IRIS inbound port 80-80 type "both" to "private ip address" ... and I used the ip of my webcam ... to private port 85-85. is this correct ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When you say webserver tab im assuming you mean in your router because blue iris does not have those options. If on your router the inbound port should be 8585 to the private address of you BLUE IRIS SERVER, not your camera and private port 8585. What is the model of your router i could not find a belkin n510

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Recommended not calling Hughes, and just picking a port that is used commonly for something else that streams data both ways.

I've concealed some light web server traffic before, in the earlier days of broadband when they only wanted to allow me one computer to be online (hahaha), blocked common ports, and the infrequent web traffic would saturate the pipe and technically require me to have a business line since I was running a "server", be it infrequently for personal use, and legal purposes, like serving up a website and testing stuff. I used the ports for things like netmeeting iirc, which compares to skype these days, to bypass the blockade and upstream some.

[Edit] I see fenderman has you covered! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

shera

n3wb
Reaction score
I found the belkin n510 model f9k1001v1
changed the first line, to blue iris 80-80 to the Ip address of my blue iris serve on private port 85-85. I saved and reset router.
the external ip, shown in blue iris, on webserver tab, does have :8585 after the ip, but I am still getting "this page can't be displayed" when I try to access this ip. what am I doing wrong ?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you may not be able to open your external IP up internally if your router does not support NAT reflection... are you trying it from a mobile connection?

Needs to be configured like:

externalip:8585 -> internalip:8585

I would not worry about calling tech support; your "server" your running is to monitor your home security cam, people have to do it all the time for video game consoles, home automation, etc.. if they have a problem with that then let them terminate your service imho; they want your money and dont give a crap what you do with it.. they may try to upsell you to a higher tier tho; thats normal.

shera

n3wb
Reaction score
I updated on router "blue iris" port 80-80 to ip address of my blue iris server to port 85-85. I saved and reset router. when I type in the external ip address shown on blue iris screen for external ip, followed by :8585, I am getting page can't be displayed. what am I doing wrong ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First, since your blue iris server is on port 8585 you need to change the inbound port to 8585. Put in 8585 - 8585. Not 85-85 or 80-80. Then the private port should also be 8585-8585. To test go to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and try port 8585.

shera

n3wb
Reaction score
still not working.... is there anything else I need to do on my pc/blue iris webserver ?

shera

n3wb
Reaction score
ahhhh.... changed inbound to 8585-8585 and private to 8585-8585 ... trying now ....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
are you trying from device on your network? read nayr's post above....you may have nat loopback issue...try it from a cell phone while the phone is NOT connected to wifi..if you would like i can do a team viewer session and get you going in a few minuets...PM me. To test go to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and try port 8585.

shera

n3wb
Reaction score
I suck. still not working.

- - - Updated - - -

tried from my phone, with wifi turned OFF

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so i did a teamviewer session with Shera.... everything is set up correctly...but its still not working, here is the strange thing...the external ip address as listed in Blue iris (this is what blue iris detects as the external ip) is the same address that returns when i google what is my ip address.... however when using a port scanner like can you see me and others, it detects a TOTALLY different ip address. Im guessing this has something to do with satellite internet as ive never seen something like this before...any ideas?