Accessing Hikvision camera attached to NVR from outside LAN

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
I know this has been done to death here and there on the forums but if anyone has the continued patience i would defo appreciate some more pointers

Hikvision 2CD2342WD-I camera
Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A nvr
both running latest firmwares
V Host enabled
Hik DDNS enabled and working fine

I can access the NVR with no issues from a Pc using all of the Hik remote software outside of the nvr local Lan where the kit is installed, i had access using a Pc web browser to the camera connected to the nvr POE port, i accessed the camera by using the NVR`s ext IP and then :65001, so far so good, this gave me full access to the options on the camera not surfaced by the Hikvision web UI

This was all done before the telco company changed the nvr`s ext IP address, not sure about you guys in the States but in the Uk the ext IP address supplied by companies randomly changes, sometimes after a few days and sometimes after months, there appears to be no rime or reason to it

So because the Ip address changed i lost remote connections to the NVR and camera annoyingly, so at that point i decided to use Hiks DDNS service, once set up i again have access to the NVR and hopefully from here on in all will be well

BUT i still cannot regain access to the camera from outside of its LAN from a remote Pc ?? and i am foxed as to why not

Vhost is enabled, everything is working but if i type the ext address of the nvr shown to me in DDNS and :65001 which the camera is using, the web browser just fails to connect ?

the camera is using 192.168.254.2 management port 8000
The NVR is 192.168.0.16 and given a static Ip from the router

The NVR has DHCP off to enable DDNS

i have opened the routers ports for the NVR`s ports
and opened the router for the camera port 192.168.254.2 Tcp/Udp 65001

what the heck am i missing ?? i have been trying to ignore the issue as everything is working fine but a recent power cut at the NVR/camera end makes me want to check the cameras day/night settings have remained.. at the moment i cant and just cant fig out why i cant access the camera

I can access the camera from within its Lan no issues but i cannot always go there so i need remote access

any pointers ?

and as a side question.. is it possible to add a camera connected to an NVR poe port to Hiks DDNS ?? i guess not but it would so useful if it could be, infact going on from that, if Hikvision had surfaced the cameras options properly in the webUI then i wouldnt need to gain access to the camera at all... very annoying tbh

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I can access the camera from within its Lan no issues but i cannot always go there so i need remote access
Can you actually access the camera web GUI from the LAN directly on 192.168.254.2 or is it only via the NAT facilities of the NVR Virtual Host at 192.168.0.16:65001 ?

Have you added a static route on your router to tell it how to connect to the 192.168.254.0 subnet?
Something like route 192.168.254.0 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.16

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you actually access the camera web GUI from the LAN directly on 192.168.254.2 or is it only via the NAT facilities of the NVR Virtual Host at 192.168.0.16:65001 ?

Have you added a static route on your router to tell it how to connect to the 192.168.254.0 subnet?
Something like route 192.168.254.0 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.16
Having tried on site today alastair, no i cant ? i cannot access the camera webui directly from the lan, only from the nvr vhost

I have reserved the nvr address 192.168.0.16 within the router so it always has the same address if that is what is meant by your second paragraph

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have reserved the nvr address 192.168.0.16 within the router so it always has the same address if that is what is meant by your second paragraph
No - unless you tell the router to direct traffic for the 192.168.254.0 subnet via the NVR LAN IP address, it will attempt to deliver any packets aimed at that address out to the internet, as it does for all traffic outside it's LAN segment.
So the 192.168.254.0 subnet will appear to be inaccessible.
Adding a private route is where you configure the router to direct packets aimed at devices on the 192.168.254.0 subnet to the NVR LAN address, where the NVR will then forward them internally.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
This worked for you before with Virtual Host, and presumably with the cameras default gateway=192.168.254.1 :
For anyone still interested in accessing your Hik camera which is attached to a POE NVR running the latest firmware

in the end it turned out to be quite simple

enable Virtual host on the NVR using the web ui
go to cameras on the NVR web ui and look at the link for the camera you want to access
note the port number for the camera you want to access :)77777)
from a remote location ie outside of the local NVR lan use your preferred browser and type the external address of the NVR which you use to access the NVR`s web ui and the cameras port at the end
example ( 100.100.100.100:77777 )
tada

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
absolutely it did Alastair, but since then the telco company updated the routers firmware, deleted everything saved from its memory and so adding back the saved config will not work, i wish that still worked

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
and finally it works... i was correct just as you were alastair, however the router for whatever reason did not want to forward from 0.16 to 254.2 ?? so i changed forwarding to
Lan 192.168.0.16 ( as is expected )

but then changed

wan to ( any ) instead of 192.168.254.2

obviously my complete lack of understanding was stopping me from doing this easily.... but it is now working, ty alastair