Accessing IP Cam Setup Menu?

brightnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What’s the best way to change the settings on my Dahua IP camera? Basically, how do I get to the menu on the camera to change things? I have an NVR hooked up to the camera and can see the video feed but not sure how to change the camera settings like the setup page to enable microSD recording, recording quality, IR illumination, etc. I read through the Quick Start guide and have started to dive and Datasheet and have started to dive into the Operational Manual. Thanks in advance.

I assume it’s the same for most Dahua cameras, have a couple Dahua IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E cameras:
http://www.cctvcentersl.es/upload/Catalogos/IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E_eng.pdf

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use the plug in, put the ip-address of the camera in a web page and log in there
You can also use SmartPSS

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Type the IP address of your camera into a web browser to access the web interface of the camera. You will need the login/password for the camera.
If you have problems with the plugin it wants to use, try using Pale Moon browser.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use internet explorer or palemoon 32 browser, if you want to use the plugin.

I finded no need for the plugin on Dahua cameras. I am not interested in any pictures, you can set most static functions.. time, frame rate,iframe, name ... with out the plugin just eneter the IP address and the username password.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the firmware on your camera is newer, you shouldn’t need a plugin to see video when you connect to the camera with Firefox or Chrome.

You’re using a NVR? If you connect to the NVR with a browser, there is a screen that should give you the special URLs you’ll need to connect directly to the cameras. You should be able to bookmark them and connect directly after that. N

brightnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think that I read somewhere that I can't just connect the NVR to the modem with an Ethernet cable to get to the camera setup menu, I have to connect the camera directly to the modem, is that right? That would mean I'd need to order a power injector switch.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Does your NVR have a "Registration" tab under "Image" as shown top left?
Does your Registration page have cameras listed like the two shown ?

Do you have a little blue IE icon as shown circled in Red? If so click on it, it will open the login screen to your camera.

regpage.jpg

brightnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not true

What NVR model do you have and how old is it?

I have a Dahua NVR5208-8P-4KS2E, it's brand spanking new. Just trying to get everything set up for the first time. I haven't connected to the NVR over my computer yet so I haven't seen that registration tab yet. So far I've just booted it on a monitor I have. I have SMART PSS on my mac and I have to search for devices by IP address so trying to figure out how to search for the correct IP address range to search. Seems like most people are using programs with PC's, maybe I should try my PC. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it! Gonna try to follow some of your suggestions and get to the camera setup menu tonight.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Youve been using the (direct) machine interface of your NVR, cant get to cameras from there. Once you setup the basics in the NVR you want to use the Web interface.

Open a browser and type in 192.168.1.108 in the address bar. Thats likely the IP address of the web interface of your NVR. If not, you should be able to find the IP address in that machine interface under Network.

Most all of the camera settings will be done via a web browser, as well from here on with the NVR settings. Both have their own Web interface.

brightnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Awesome, after about 4 hours I’m able to connect to my camera on my computer after resetting the NVR IP address, my computers IP adress, and fixing some network issues. Having some browser plugin problems so I can’t see the video in my browser but I can probably figure that out with more digging. Even the chrome plugin app (live view) is giving me issues and saying it’s not supported. Anyways..I can see the video in the app smart PSS. If I try to change the cameras IP address from 10.1.1.xx to a 192.168.xx adress I can’t get a video feed on the nvr anymore until I change it back. Thought that odd, but definitely making some progress! Thanks for all the help.