Accidentally upgraded to a version that is now evaluation?

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Apparently I upgraded to version I have to pay for. All my camera screens now show Blue Iris Evaluation Version. Is there any way to go back without paying for an upgrade? I'm sure I probably accidentally clicked the wrong choice when I upgraded, but
it should have been clear that this was going to cost me if I chose this option. Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Apparently I upgraded to version I have to pay for. All my camera screens now show Blue Iris Evaluation Version. Is there any way to go back without paying for an upgrade? I'm sure I probably accidentally clicked the wrong choice when I upgraded, but
it should have been clear that this was going to cost me if I chose this option. Thanks
If you don't have a valid support plan, then you can no longer update BI from within the program and have an activated version.

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can we make a sticky of a thread like this LOL - every couple days we get a new post asking this..

Sorry, I just paid for the update this time. BI needs to make it more clear that you are going to have to pay for the upgrade. I'm having some work done on my house and picked a bad time
to do an upgrade. I didn't know what I was getting myself into.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The developer only recently started enforcing the one-year of updates, so we have been getting lots of posts similar to this.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, I just paid for the update this time. BI needs to make it more clear that you are going to have to pay for the upgrade. I'm having some work done on my house and picked a bad time
to do an upgrade. I didn't know what I was getting myself into.
To be honest, the developer (Its only one guy) deserves the $30 per yr for all the work he does on a continuing basis.

Reaction score
I hope the developer has some kind of a transition plan; What if something happens to him or he decides he has had enough will we all be out of luck?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope the developer has some kind of a transition plan; What if something happens to him or he decides he has had enough will we all be out of luck?
I am certain he doesn't. Yes you'll be out of luck and you will survive, I promise. Understand that he is under no obligation to provide any updates to the software. So if 60 bux is too much to invest in software that works great right now because you are concerned he might die, then you should definitely look at other options. Let us know what you go with.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I certainly hope he has a plan for it once he is done, retires, or dies, but unless there is some fundamental coding that is slated to become obsolete, my prior experience with DVRs and it's respective VMS systems were they were never updated in the life I had them (some going on 10 years), so I would hope BI would run just fine for some period of time after he is done with how frequently he pushes out updates.

You cannot find a better value in this arena, so hopefully someone would be able to pick up the torch and run with it when that day comes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I certainly hope he has a plan for it once he is done, retires, or dies, but unless there is some fundamental coding that is slated to become obsolete, my prior experience with DVRs and it's respective VMS systems were they were never updated in the life I had them (some going on 10 years), so I would hope BI would run just fine for some period of time after he is done with how frequently he pushes out updates.

You cannot find a better value in this arena, so hopefully someone would be able to pick up the torch and run with it when that day comes.
I guarantee you that there is no plan.

Reaction score
Fenderman thank you for your reply and everything you do on this site which is alot.
I never said I didn't think we would survive if BI went away nor was I complaining about the cost of the program, was simply questioning whether he had some kind of transition plan, which you have made it clear he does not, I assume you have insight in this regard. Further I really love the program which is why I would really hate to see it fizzle away if something did happen. I currently have two copies of BI and plan to keep them as long as possible. The question seemed to rub you the wrong way?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman thank you for your reply and everything you do on this site which is alot.
I never said I didn't think we would survive if BI went away nor was I complaining about the cost of the program, was simply questioning whether he had some kind of transition plan, which you have made it clear he does not, I assume you have insight in this regard. Further I really love the program which is why I would really hate to see it fizzle away if something did happen. I currently have two copies of BI and plan to keep them as long as possible. The question seemed to rub you the wrong way?
I have common sense and I know how he operates. What do you think will happen, he will have another programmer just take over? No.
Your post reads like a panicked user who must have a backup plan god forbid one of the 200 vms options is no longer available. If you are that worried and concerned email him and ask for a copy of his will.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm more concerned that I outlive the software LOL

Reaction score
I don't know if he cares about the legacy he's built in a great program maybe he would bring in a young and apprentice or investor so that it may carry it on; sounds like common sense to me. I'm not saying give the program to someone and sure it will be challenging to find the right person or people but it could be done; he's obviously put a lot of time and effort in that program and if I was him I would hope that it would endure on after me. but you're right the choice is totally his I’m not trying to control him or make his mind up for him and maybe I will email him. It's all good bro sorry you interpreted the post I made the way you did. Peace

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Upgraded my PC and now I'm getting an error that my key is a support/maintenance key. sure seems like this guy is doing everything he can to keep us loyal customers from having a pleasant experience with his software. Say what you want, but IMHO this guy is much more interested in making a dollar than making sure his product will work for the common consumer. I've invested a chink of money in software and equipment , so I will continue to attempt to get this software to work for me, but in all honesty I have a very low opinion of this guy, or anyone else who supports him.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Just revert back to an earlier version to get rid of the eval watermark.

It does suck that you don’t get warned of what will happen, really the update dialog should just stop you from upgrading if you are out of support, maybe thats a change yet to come?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Upgraded my PC and now I'm getting an error that my key is a support/maintenance key. sure seems like this guy is doing everything he can to keep us loyal customers from having a pleasant experience with his software. Say what you want, but IMHO this guy is much more interested in making a dollar than making sure his product will work for the common consumer. I've invested a chink of money in software and equipment , so I will continue to attempt to get this software to work for me, but in all honesty I have a very low opinion of this guy, or anyone else who supports him.
Yeah it's terrible that he adds new features to the program on a very regular basis. Pay the measly $30 per yr, he deserves it. Or revert back and stop updating.

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, I was a bit harsh. I had a ton of trouble upgrading computers so I can successfully run the software with my 8 cameras, so that put me in a very bad mood. Then this license thing popped up. I looked back though my email, found a license code from BI and thought I was good to go. I had no idea this was only a support license. That still doesn't make sense to me. Anyhow, I thought I could possibly recover the license off my old pc, but apparently since I've deactivated it on that PC there is no license to recover. So now I'm dead in the water.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you keep the original email with the first license code?