Acer Predator G3-605

OfficerD00fy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all

Just wondering if I should keep an
Acer Predator G3-605
I just purchased for Blue Iris for $200 or should i get rid of it and buy an optiplex. Bought this because it was a good second hand deal. Has a

i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz
12GB RAM
2TB HDD
GeForce GTX 745 (will remove to use the onboard).

My concerns are that it will not be as energy efficient as a mini PC or SFF optiplex?

Running roughly 40meg of cameras...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all

Just wondering if I should keep an
Acer Predator G3-605
I just purchased for Blue Iris for $200 or should i get rid of it and buy an optiplex. Bought this because it was a good second hand deal. Has a

i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz
12GB RAM
2TB HDD
GeForce GTX 745 (will remove to use the onboard).

My concerns are that it will not be as energy efficient as a mini PC or SFF optiplex?

Running roughly 40meg of cameras...
Hi @OfficerD00fy

Depends, some Optiplex models have the same chip - or even an older gen chip.

The i7-4790 is a good respectable chip from the 4th gen. I would see how well it performs before you replace it.

OfficerD00fy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @OfficerD00fy

Depends, some Optiplex models have the same chip - or even an older gen chip.

The i7-4790 is a good respectable chip from the 4th gen. I would see how well it performs before you replace it.
Thanks will give it a shot. Will have to measure the wattage. I'm concerned about it not being as efficient as the optiplex counter part. Think fenderman mentioned in another post that a normal desktop is not as efficient as incorrect and they are both as efficient?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
The current draw will to some extent depend on what is drawing the current, so remove anything you don’t need in the pc like the dvd drive and vid card and plug it into a wattage monitor to check.