ACTi

No5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We need to create an ACTi folder.

I'm sharing some pics of my E72 install on my garage last month...

Thanks to the Networkcameracritic for his continued reviews of ACTi products.

Attachments

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
We need to create an ACTi folder.

I'm sharing some pics of my E72 install on my garage last month...

Thanks to the Networkcameracritic for his continued reviews of ACTi products.

Can we get some snapshots? Nice install !!!

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I used to like ACTi quite a bit, but the stack of 20 or so bad cameras I have now is slowly changing my mind. No other cameras I have ever tested die so quickly. I literally have three bad bullets sitting to the right of my laptop as I type this. I have installed a lot of Vivotek cameras and have had a grand total of four go out, with ACTi I'm easily at 4-8 a month here. The only ACTi cameras I'm still buying are the KCM-5611 and really for everything else I've found other brands.

I just opened up the boxes from a group of eight that were sent off for repair and two of the eight still are not working. Many of these going bad are not powering up at all, and the repairs almost universally are power related. Some are not repaired for free as they say a power surge killed them and they show popped chips near power, others they apparently cannot tell where they died, but replace the power area and they are fine.
w
This issue is primarily with the bullet cameras, TCM-1111, e31, e33. I understand power issues, but if I have a mixed camera install, say 6 Vivotek and 4 ACTi, the ACTis will be the only ones dying. All installs use ZyXel switches, or Cisco depending, and all are powered POE, yet only the ACTi's are dying off like this. The 5611 is better, but I have had to have 5-6 repaired but all were covered by warranty. I also have a 3911 hemispheric camera on my desk that lasted maybe 5 months installed on an office wall before going nuts and randomly powering on, but usually off now.

They were my favorites, but they are just not good enough reliability for me over time. And for $100 a camera repair bills I'll just replace them with Hikvision. So far so good with those, not had one go bad yet. I'm putting those in where the ACTi's go out and so far not one has gone back out. It will happen of course, but I still cant believe they are better than ACTi, but so far they are for me anyway and I hope it holds up!

Last edited by a moderator:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I used to like ACTi quite a bit, but the stack of 20 or so bad cameras I have now is slowly changing my mind. No other cameras I have ever tested die so quickly. I literally have three bad bullets sitting to the right of my laptop as I type this. I have installed a lot of Vivotek cameras and have had a grand total of four go out, with ACTi I'm easily at 4-8 a month here. The only ACTi cameras I'm still buying are the KCM-5611 and really for everything else I've found other brands.

I just opened up the boxes from a group of eight that were sent off for repair and two of the eight still are not working. Many of these going bad are not powering up at all, and the repairs almost universally are power related. Some are not repaired for free as they say a power surge killed them and they show popped chips near power, others they apparently cannot tell where they died, but replace the power area and they are fine.
w
This issue is primarily with the bullet cameras, TCM-1111, e31, e33. I understand power issues, but if I have a mixed camera install, say 6 Vivotek and 4 ACTi, the ACTis will be the only ones dying. All installs use ZyXel switches, or Cisco depending, and all are powered POE, yet only the ACTi's are dying off like this. The 5611 is better, but I have had to have 5-6 repaired but all were covered by warranty. I also have a 3911 hemispheric camera on my desk that lasted maybe 5 months installed on an office wall before going nuts and randomly powering on, but usually off now.

They were my favorites, but they are just not good enough reliability for me over time. And for $100 a camera repair bills I'll just replace them with Hikvision. So far so good with those, not had one go bad yet. I'm putting those in where the ACTi's go out and so far not one has gone back out. It will happen of course, but I still cant believe they are better than ACTi, but so far they are for me anyway and I hope it holds up!

This is good to hear as hikvision is pretty much my defacto camera by default, 3rd bullet should be here today. I always try to go with the tried and true stuff other people have already been using. :D

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice and clean install, NO5.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Razer. I will stay away form acti, myself.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't seen those issues with ACTi but don't install anywhere near as much as Razer does.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Lest anyone think I jest at the amount of bad cameras, here is a shot of my current stock of bad cameras....

ACTI.jpg

The switches may or may not have issues, usually it just a port or two on the ZyXels where the Ciscos may be full on dead. They both handle RMAs easily though. :)

Going to have to send some of those back here soon and see what will be fixed for free. I'll pay for the three 5611's and the 3911 camera if they need it, the bullets I will not. I do like ACTi, but the e series has not been very reliable for me anyway. Vivoteks have been giving me no issues though, they are not the best in firmware or MP for the money, but at least they stay working. Still moving to Hik overall in bullets and domes though. Hemispheric I've found the Vivotek to work better or as well as the ACTi, and I did not care for the Axis hemispheric after trying one out. Still have it and will use it until it dies, but I'll not get more.

dalepa

Reaction score
Does anyone make a descent sub $200 hemispheric cam? Those vivoteks look like an interesting new toy..

No5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm using ToughCable from Ubiquiti which has a drain wire to deal with ESD and is shielded for extra protection. And my pc/PoE switch is also on an APC. I researched this model quite a bit before purchasing and never heard of power failures like you reported (albeit not the same model).

Time will tell (failure wise). I need something that will operate down to -40°C without using a huge enclosure for heat. Hik's are not rated down to that temperature.

I have a vari-focal E82 on order and should be arriving in the next week or two.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm using ToughCable from Ubiquiti which has a drain wire to deal with ESD and is shielded for extra protection. And my pc/PoE switch is also on an APC. I researched this model quite a bit before purchasing and never heard of power failures like you reported (albeit not the same model).

Time will tell (failure wise). I need something that will operate down to -40°C without using a huge enclosure for heat. Hik's are not rated down to that temperature.

I have a vari-focal E82 on order and should be arriving in the next week or two.

What DVR are you using for your Axis solution?

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

I also use Ubiquiti Tough Cable, usually the normal stuff and not the carrier grade stuff though I use that for my Ubiquiti NanoStation M5 installs. Lightning seems to be a constant issue at some locations, but only some. Grounded to high heaven and still have issues. Still only usually with ACTi dying though. I have installed a couple hundred of them now, and overall like them if they would stay reliable for me. Same install locations, with the same cables will be dead reliable after switching brands. Odd for sure.