Actual human detection vs Camera "Intrusion Detection" features

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by emerb, Aug 28, 2018.

Share This Page

1. emerb

emerb n3wb

Anybody has experimented with or has any recommendations on how to deal with this?

I had the opportunity to test Dahua and Hikvision cameras.
    They both have really nice "smart features" as they are able to detect when:
    • "Something" is crossing a line.
    • "Something" is entering or leaving an area.
    • "Something" is moving through the picture.
    However, "something" could be a person, tree leaves, a cat wondering around or even a shadow from a tree.

While I can see these features being bulletproof indoors (where the only thing moving should be a person), they become almost useless outdoors (for me at least) due to trees, wind, animals and even the occasional spider crawling in front of the camera.

So I was wondering: Isn't there already a solution that can detect human body and alert me only - and if only - a person is present? If not, how are you remediating false positives?

With today's technology the perfect solution is so "easy" to build that I almost can't believe a it doesn't already exist.

If I can't find anything I might build it, the principle is simple (using AI):
    • Tap in one of the camera's stream or NVR (low res, low frame rate )
    • Continuously run each frame through a pre-trained model
    • Take action if it detects a person, an animal or both in at least one frame.
    Actions could be:
    • Communicate with NVR so it can bookmark the video or use its built in alert system
    • Send an email or text message with the video frame.
    • Depending on time of the night, turn lights on (through integration with smart home) and... wake me up so I can take a shoot at the bastard :)
    The goal is simple: Be aware of people wondering around my house while filtering out all false positives.

Francisco73 likes this.
  2. looney2ns

looney2ns Known around here

They make excellent outdoor rated PIR motion sensors for this.
    And Blue Iris can do a MUCH better job when properly tuned than any in camera or NVR based motion.

3. eggsan

eggsan Getting the hang of it

Camera image sensors are almost useless to perform an effective detection. Instead, use an external PIR, as mentioned by looney2ns. I can only speak about NVR input relays, connected to wired/wireless PIR sensors (understand BI is superior in terms of the conditional if/then statements). Recommend the PIR with combined Infrared/Microwave detection, in which the two technologies needs to be crossed in order to triggered the alert.

4. john-ipvm

john-ipvm Pulling my weight

We recently tested Nest, Arlo, Ring and they did quite well, much better than low-cost professional cameras like Dahua, Hikvision and Uniview. In particular, Nest and Ring had person detection and Nest worked extremely well. Of course, those products are more expensive and require monthly charges. Related, from our test:
    [​IMG]

fenderman likes this.
  5. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

6. emerb

emerb n3wb

Thanks everyone, lots of good information. Love the comparison chart between those cameras.

@looney2ns @eggsan I thought about a PIR sensor but all my searches came out empty so I gave up.
    Maybe because I was looking for something very specific:
    • No lights attached to it, just the sensor.
    • Outdoor
    • Z-Wave
    • Battery powered
    Do you have something you can recommend? Even it not zwave, if it is a good PIR sensor I can wire it to a Z-Wave door window sensor to open and close it and then I will be all set.

7. emerb

emerb n3wb

This "Object detection" post you referred to is exactly what I'm talking about. Maybe I should join the discussion there.
    Meanwhile if I can find some decent PIR sensors out there I will definitely go for it.

8. eggsan

emerb, look for the Optex VX-i (Infiniti) series, it includes both wired and wireless PIR. You may go ok with the wired dual tech series.The wireless series are battery power and include a compartment for the transmitter contact, normally intended for security alarm panels.

9. eggsan

in case you need to use the wireless PIR (stand-alone, without a security panel), check the Inovonics Echostream Relay Output Receiver, model EN4204 (4 channels), EN4216 (16CH) or EN4232 (32CH). The wireless transmitter (to include inside the VX-i compartment) is model EN1210. After programming each zones, just connect the output of the receiver directly to the NVR input.

10. Francisco73

Francisco73 Getting the hang of it

We are low tech and have dogs. When they alert I go out and later check recordings if necessary.

bigredfish likes this.
  11. emerb

emerb n3wb

Wow, looked into the documentation (manufacturer website) and this thing looks good - pretty expense if compared to some others I have found but if it works as promised it is well worth it.

12. emerb

emerb n3wb

It is easier, cheaper and very reliable :lol:

Francisco73 likes this.
  13. eggsan

Yes, Optex is an installer favorite. You won't go wrong with it

14. Francisco73

Francisco73 Getting the hang of it

In addition to an alert some dogs will attack especially night time. We have a fence and a wall and the gate is locked. Nobody can accidentally be attacked by the dogs.