Adding a Hikvision Camera

Zion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, I have a LaView LV-KN988P86A4 Premium IP Surveillance System 8 Channel NVR.

I have a bit of an unusual setup yet very thankful for what I have.

The NVR is located in the main house that has no internet.

Internet is located in guest house where Blue Iris is on it's own dedicated pc, so I ran internet cable from there over to main house from the NVR in main house and via router in guest house. So essentially I think you could say I am watching cams currently on BI through the router?

I have added a Hikvision camera and it can be seen on the NVR and I have tried many times to get Blue Iris to add it so it can also be seen in the guest house. Have also tried doing it using ONVIF and keep getting errors and watched a bunch of YouTube videos and still no success.

Any help much appreciated.

Last edited:

Zion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, new cam (like the other 6 cams) all plug into NVR in main house. I can see the new cam on the NVR monitor but unable to get it to add on BI which is in the guest house.

There is only 1 router which is located in guest house.

Thanks

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, new cam (like the other 6 cams) all plug into NVR in main house. I can see the new cam on the NVR monitor but unable to get it to add on BI which is in the guest house.

There is only 1 router which is located in guest house.

Thanks
blue iris cant see the camera connected to the nvr, you need to stream from the NVR itself, use the hikvision nvr in the dropdown..

Zion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
blue iris cant see the camera connected to the nvr, you need to stream from the NVR itself, use the hikvision nvr in the dropdown..
Thanks fenderman, Life has finally allowed me some time to get back to trying to get these 2 new camera's to be seen on blue iris.

More details would be much appreciated. "use the hikvision nvr in the dropdown" Do you mean set NVR to stream? *Currently blue iris see's my other 6 cams fine and don't want to loose what I got.

On BI I have tried so many different ways to get this to work.... no results "camera not found"

On blueiris now by default it's set up as

Make / Hikvision
Model DS-...........................RTSP
Video / Path /Streaming/channels/{CAMNO}01

More help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll add a two cents on this, based on Zion's recent note in another thread. I'll state at the outset that I'm no expert, certainly not in this specific LaView system, but this is what seems to be happening based on my understanding of the networking issues involved.

Think of the NVR as having two network adaptors. One (with multiple ports) faces the cameras, and one (with a single port) connects to your router / your LAN / and thus the internet. The adaptor which hosts the cameras is on its own subnet (different from that of your LAN) and so the cameras are (generally, depending on settings) hidden from the outside world. Only the NVR can see them (unless certain settings live virtual hosts etc. are enabled, if available). So, BI in the guest house isn't aware of the existence of those cams.

To stream the main house cameras from the guest house, you'll need to log into NVR itself. I'm not familiar with BI to know if it can accept the stream from that particular NVR, but if so, you'll need to point BI at the NVR's IP address (and use its PW and username), not the cameras.

Or, perhaps the right way to handle this is just to use your browser or PC app logged into the NVR (with it's IP address/user/password) directly not using BI, when you want to watch those cams, or use the NVR software to review footage.

Does that help at all?

Zion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks much Frankenscript, I'll try your suggestions later today and update my findings in hopes it will help others.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks much Frankenscript, I'll try your suggestions later today and update my findings in hopes it will help others.
How did it work out?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Zion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks much Frankenscript for the followup. Tried (almost) everything and still cant get Blue Iris to see the 2 new Hikvision cameras yet the LaView NVR see's them perfectly.

I'll add some pictures shortly of what I see in the LaView NVR configuration in hopes for some much needed guidance.

Thanks again.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks much Frankenscript for the followup. Tried (almost) everything and still cant get Blue Iris to see the 2 new Hikvision cameras yet the LaView NVR see's them perfectly.

I'll add some pictures shortly of what I see in the LaView NVR configuration in hopes for some much needed guidance.

Thanks again.
Right... The Hikvision are "behind" the NVR so we wouldn't expect BI to see them, unless I'm missing something. I will check back later to see your follow-up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Zion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, what is strange is Blue Iris see's the other Hikvisions on same NVR just fine. I figure it has to be a setting on Blue Iris or Information that requires to be entered that I've somehow missed in many many tries.

Here is what is setup in the LaView configuration. (except sensitive info masked as most of the world probably don't want to see!)

*Uploaded to Imgur as to not waste forum bandwidth.

Much thanks once again to anyone that can help or has suggestions.

Last edited:

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
From the review of the pictures nothing obvious stands out to me. So, let's make sure I've got this right:

1. In your main house, where there is no internet, you have an NVR.
2. There were cameras attached, which worked fine on the NVR (and still do).
3. You ran ethernet cable from the guest house (where there is internet, and presumably your router) to the main house, and connected the NVR into your LAN.
4. Blue Iris, running on a PC on your LAN, can see the NVR, AND can see the original cameras directly (as in, BI could hit the cameras directly, without logging into the NVR-- PLEASE VERIFY).
5. You added two new cameras, plugged into the NVR and set up apparently the same way as the original ones, and they communicate fine with the NVR, but they are not seen by the PC with BI.

From your settings, I'm not sure why BI can see the original two cameras. Do you have "virtual hosts" enabled? I didn't see it in the posted screen shots; not sure where it would be on LaView stuff. Oddly I've seen it on my Hikvision NVR but just now went through the menus on the NVR and didn't find it. A bit of googling and I realized it shows up when logging in remotely via a browser. See here:

[Tutorial] Using a Hikvision NVR's "Virtual Host" Feature

Probably similar instructions will apply to your LaView system, if it is supported on your system.

But I was thinking, why not do one of two things, given you have ethernet connecting the guest house and the main house:

1. Ditch the LaView NVR entirely, replace it with a PoE switch (which will feed the cameras with power, and connect them all to the single ethernet line going to the guest house), and have all the cameras tied in directly to the Blue Iris PC?

2. Alternatively, replace the NVR with the PoE switch as above, but then keep the NVR, locating it next to your BI computer in the guest house for easy access and monitoring.

Based on your description, if I've understood it right, something is different about the connection of those two new cameras, that isn't obvious to me in your pictures. Maybe they are sending a different stream type, or maybe the first two were somehow configured in the NVR to stream back out to the LAN, or some other change that is preventing them from working with your LAN and or BI. Could it be that your cameras are being provisioned by your router, but the new ones are outside the numerical address range, or too many devices already connected, or something like that? I'm still unclear why BI sees the original cameras.

Why not just remote into the NVR directly and view things that way?

I like troubleshooting, but I'm over my depth here... I'm still a novice at all this. Please keep us updated. I find this very interesting and will help if I can, but I think you need someone more experienced than me involved.

Zion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you used the SADPTool?
Hi, thanks for reply jcc.

I downloaded and installed the ONVIF mentioned in this video:
Software unfortunately still couldn't see cameras. After searching SADP I see Hikvision also has a setup and will try that option soon. (Have been very busy here)

From the review of the pictures nothing obvious stands out to me. So, let's make sure I've got this right:

1. In your main house, where there is no internet, you have an NVR.
2. There were cameras attached, which worked fine on the NVR (and still do).
3. You ran ethernet cable from the guest house (where there is internet, and presumably your router) to the main house, and connected the NVR into your LAN.
4. Blue Iris, running on a PC on your LAN, can see the NVR, AND can see the original cameras directly (as in, BI could hit the cameras directly, without logging into the NVR-- PLEASE VERIFY).
5. You added two new cameras, plugged into the NVR and set up apparently the same way as the original ones, and they communicate fine with the NVR, but they are not seen by the PC with BI.

From your settings, I'm not sure why BI can see the original two cameras. Do you have "virtual hosts" enabled? I didn't see it in the posted screen shots; not sure where it would be on LaView stuff. Oddly I've seen it on my Hikvision NVR but just now went through the menus on the NVR and didn't find it. A bit of googling and I realized it shows up when logging in remotely via a browser. See here:

[Tutorial] Using a Hikvision NVR's "Virtual Host" Feature

Probably similar instructions will apply to your LaView system, if it is supported on your system.

But I was thinking, why not do one of two things, given you have ethernet connecting the guest house and the main house:

1. Ditch the LaView NVR entirely, replace it with a PoE switch (which will feed the cameras with power, and connect them all to the single ethernet line going to the guest house), and have all the cameras tied in directly to the Blue Iris PC?

2. Alternatively, replace the NVR with the PoE switch as above, but then keep the NVR, locating it next to your BI computer in the guest house for easy access and monitoring.

Based on your description, if I've understood it right, something is different about the connection of those two new cameras, that isn't obvious to me in your pictures. Maybe they are sending a different stream type, or maybe the first two were somehow configured in the NVR to stream back out to the LAN, or some other change that is preventing them from working with your LAN and or BI. Could it be that your cameras are being provisioned by your router, but the new ones are outside the numerical address range, or too many devices already connected, or something like that? I'm still unclear why BI sees the original cameras.

Why not just remote into the NVR directly and view things that way?

I like troubleshooting, but I'm over my depth here... I'm still a novice at all this. Please keep us updated. I find this very interesting and will help if I can, but I think you need someone more experienced than me involved.
Thanks so much for your assistance Frankenscript.

Above I posted all of the options LaView offers and checked again and they do not offer "Virtual Hosts" and thanks for link to add SADP.

I also contacted LaView to make sure I don't loose what is currently working with an upgrade and to see if there is a newer Firmware. "Virtual Hosts" may possibly be included in that upgrade.

The 2 new Hikvision cameras are a newer version and I don't see it listed in the BI "add a cam" drop down so I select "other" under Hikvision and even went through all the other options under Hikvision with no success.

The NVR is designed to accommodate 8 cameras so not "too many devices" I don't think.

I'll keep in mind the PoE. Is that the preferred choice these days?

I'm back to the drawing board and going to try SADP and thanks again!

Last edited:

DZSYSTEMS

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, Life has finally allowed me some time to get back to trying to get these 2 new camera's to be seen on blue iris.

More details would be much appreciated. "use the hikvision nvr in the dropdown" Do you mean set NVR to stream? *Currently blue iris see's my other 6 cams fine and don't want to loose what I got.

On BI I have tried so many different ways to get this to work.... no results "camera not found"

On blueiris now by default it's set up as

Make / Hikvision
Model DS-...........................RTSP
Video / Path /Streaming/channels/{CAMNO}01

More help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
If you have "/Streaming/channels/{CAMNO}01" then you need to replace {CAMNO} with 1

/Streaming/channels/101