Adding a switch to a DS-7716NI-I4-16P

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do I need to plug the switch into the Lan port or into one the 16 camera ports?

Think I remember reading somewhere that it can be plugged into a camera port and a maximum of four cameras can then be added.

First time I've connected a switch so looking for any tips please.

Many thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Think I remember reading somewhere that it can be plugged into a camera port and a maximum of four cameras can then be added.
If it works the same as the 76xxN-Ex series NVRs, you can only configure one camera IP address per PoE channel.
That's logical if you think about it. One channel=one camera.
No problem using LAN-connected cameras though, even on a 16 channel NVR with 16 PoE ports.
With a 16 channel NVR with 16 PoE ports you will need to point a PoE port to a LAN-connected camera by changing the selected channel to Manual and specifying the LAN camera IP address.

Reactions: RBW

ibuyufo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just plug it into the LAN port. The only thing that should go into the POE ports are cameras. The NVR has a DHCP server specifically to assign an internal IP address to the POE ports.

Reactions: RBW

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok thanks both. So it should be just plug into Lan port and the Nve DHCP will take care of assigning the ip address. :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok thanks both. So it should be just plug into Lan port and the Nve DHCP will take care of assigning the ip address
Yes, to plug both the switch and the NVR in to your LAN.
No, the NVR does not do DHCP even on it's PoE ports (it configures those cameras directly), you will need to assign known IP addresses to your LAN-connected cameras either by the gateway/router DHCP reservations or static manually.