Adding Camera on a Separate Network

ZigBlazer

n3wb
Reaction score
Trying to setup Blue Iris to see if it will work for me. I have a home network. With a second router in another building connected by ethernet. I have 5 cheap cameras; wansview, reolink, and amcrest. 4 of the 5 are connected directly to the first router, and one wansview is connected to the second router. I've managed, with some help, to get the first 4 working on Blue Iris. The last one is proving difficult. Tried a couple different ways. Have been informed not to use port forwarding, which I must not have done right anyway because it didn't work.

So before I waste a while trying to figure out how to make it work. Does anyone have a good way to do it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Trying to setup Blue Iris to see if it will work for me. I have a home network. With a second router in another building connected by ethernet. I have 5 cheap cameras; wansview, reolink, and amcrest. 4 of the 5 are connected directly to the first router, and one wansview is connected to the second router. I've managed, with some help, to get the first 4 working on Blue Iris. The last one is proving difficult. Tried a couple different ways. Have been informed not to use port forwarding, which I must not have done right anyway because it didn't work.

So before I waste a while trying to figure out how to make it work. Does anyone have a good way to do it?
when you say other building do you mean a remote location with a separate modem and internet connection? if so, read the vpn primer for noobs thread....this is not a blue iris issue, its a general network issue...you should never port forward any cameras.

ZigBlazer

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll remove the port forwarding in the morning, and re-read through the noobs threads, I admit I skimmed them searching for what I needed.

The other router is in my shop. I buried an ethernet cable from the house to the shop. The shop router is directly connected to the house router by ethernet cable. It uses the same internet connection as everything else on my property. The other camera is working fine. And can be viewed on my computer using the wansview app, as well as my phone and tablet, while on my home network or away. I just haven't figured out how to get it to work with Blue Iris, likely because it isn't directly on the same network as my computer, so I was asking for help with that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll remove the port forwarding in the morning, and re-read through the noobs threads, I admit I skimmed them searching for what I needed.

The other router is in my shop. I buried an ethernet cable from the house to the shop. The shop router is directly connected to the house router by ethernet cable. It uses the same internet connection as everything else on my property. The other camera is working fine. And can be viewed on my computer using the wansview app, as well as my phone and tablet, while on my home network or away. I just haven't figured out how to get it to work with Blue Iris, likely because it isn't directly on the same network as my computer, so I was asking for help with that.
Then you dont need to setup vpn for it to work, its on the same network...if you can see it via the same computer using the wansview app then you are simply setting it up wrong...
what is the model?
also avoid wansview in the future...its bottom barrel garbage.

ZigBlazer

n3wb
Reaction score
It is the W2 1080p outdoor. The only reason we got the cameras in the first place is they were cheap, and my wife wanted to be able to watch her litter of puppies at all times. So the cheap was the most important part. Hopefully we can keep them working for a while. I don't need cameras for any real security reasons. But it is nice to see stuff going on at home while I'm away. Usually all I see is when the deer are up feeding, and sometimes I catch my kids doing things they shouldn't.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It is the W2 1080p outdoor. The only reason we got the cameras in the first place is they were cheap, and my wife wanted to be able to watch her litter of puppies at all times. So the cheap was the most important part. Hopefully we can keep them working for a while. I don't need cameras for any real security reasons. But it is nice to see stuff going on at home while I'm away. Usually all I see is when the deer are up feeding, and sometimes I catch my kids doing things they shouldn't.
for a bit more there are much better options....never support bottom barrel scammers like wansview.

ZigBlazer

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera isn't in the shop. It is outside on my pheasant shed looking down the driveway between the shop and the house. Too far away to get a signal from the main router in the house, but plenty close enough for the shop router. Not hard wired in.

Here is the explanation for the cheap cameras. I get it, they're cheap. I don't plan on buying any more, but if I do, I'll do some research first. Unlike I did with these.
I haven't paid more than $50 for a wansview camera, I bought the Reolink indoor for $70. It started with the cheap $25 wansview, which wasn't detailed enough for my wife. So while looking for a 1080p movable camera to watch the puppies, I bought the Reolink and my wife bought the Amcrest at the same time, and we didn't tell each other that we had bought them until the next day, which was too late to cancel. We setup the amcrest and it worked great for the puppies. A couple months later I figured I'd try the reolink, which didn't work. A few months later I finally got the replacement from Reolink, they sent the better 4mp c1 pro, which I just got setup. For amazons thanksgiving sales, I got the other two outdoor wansview cameras on sale. But I didn't set them up until Christmas because they were presents, so my wife could watch the dogs while they were outside too. So I've spent less than $180 total on the 4 cameras I bought. Anything of decent quality would have cost me much more. For me the cameras are just fun, to watch the deer and see what happens in the driveway anyway, it isn't worth spending any real money on them. Since the puppies are gone, my wife doesn't need anything nice either, but would like to see what the dogs are doing outside, and they work for that.

I figured with all the experience I've seen displayed in the posts on this site, that someone would know exactly how to loop this last camera in and save me the trouble of spending another hour or two searching to figure it out.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In BI, have you used Find/Inspect instead of selecting the camera make in the drop down.
Delete cam in question from BI. Adding a new cam, enter IP address to said cam in Bi, then enter in the username and password, nothing else, now click Find/Inspect.
See if it fills in the rest of the info for you, if it does, now try to view it.

If it still doesn't work, see this: How to add camera to BI that is not in the drop down list

@ZigBlazer

ZigBlazer

n3wb
Reaction score
It did not work. However, the switch idea made me think, and I changed the router to act as an access point instead, so the camera is now part of the same network. As soon as I finished that, Blue Iris found it right away and had no problem connecting.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Bypass the router at the shop and make this real simple. No need to port forward with an internal network.

Get a cheap 5 port switch for the shop. The cable that comes from the house will now plug into the switch. The cam will also plug into the switch. Then plug the router into the switch.
Why not just set the second router in bridge mode and call it a day, no hardware changes.

ZigBlazer

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe that is pretty much what the access point mode is. And that is what worked.