adding external IR light to a camera without IR

Spirch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
this might be a stupid question ... or not

the DS-2DE3304W-DE camera doesn't have built-in IR, can I get an external IR light and would it work?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this might be a stupid question ... or not

the DS-2DE3304W-DE camera doesn't have built-in IR, can I get an external IR light and would it work?
This might be a stupid reply but you actually asked 2 questions ::rolleyes:

1) "can I get an external IR light?" The answer is yes
2) "...and would it work?" The answer is also yes. (it should!)

Most have their own light-sensitive control to turn them ON/OFF, most require 12VDC and many include a wall wart power supply. There are various wattage and beam angles too so happy shopping!

Spirch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This might be a stupid reply but you actually asked 2 questions ::rolleyes:

1) "can I get an external IR light?" The answer is yes
2) "...and would it work?" The answer is also yes. (it should!)

Most have their own light-sensitive control to turn them ON/OFF, most require 12VDC and many include a wall wart power supply. There are various wattage and beam angles too so happy shopping!
thanks, perfect :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oops, more info:
Most cams "see" IR emitters of 850nm wavelength , so insure the one you buy can be seen by your cam, as there are some 940nm emitters out there (not as common).

Spirch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oops, more info:
Most cams "see" IR emitters of 850nm wavelength , so insure the one you buy can be seen by your cam, as there are some 940nm emitters out there (not as common).
good to know! I will try to get one from a place that accept return just in case

Ookie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes. The question is why you would want it.

I've spent quite a bit of time as a police detective in a major US metropolitan area. Been around lots of bad guys. They are overwhelmingly creatures of opportunity.

Well-lit areas are a substantial deterrent.

The answer is white light. Either constant on or motion activated.

If even mid-range cams are not getting a decent image for you, the hole in your security plan is lighting related.

A chance at deterrence is always better than getting good video of bad guys who made off with the loot. Whatever was stolen is long gone. It was likely sold ten minutes after they left. Your best hope is getting the judge to order restitution.

Anyone who says otherwise has never been to court in support of video.

I don't know what the Canadian court system is like. But in the US, you are going to be in court 5-10 times. As crazy as it sounds, the person who owns/controls the video system has to be at every appearance in many states.

We only mess with active IR for LPR (license plate reader) applications.