Adding external lighting added so much to my cams:

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been upgrading a bunch of my older Dahuas with 1/1.8" 5442's from Andy and over the past couple weekends I've put up four external dawn to dusk LED yard lights (1X- 100W, 2x - 150W, 1x - 120W) around the property. WOW, have they upped my night image game with these new cameras!! I can now have 6 of my 5442's in full color mode at night with 6.66 - 8.33ms (1/120 - 1/150s) exposure time.

Luckily I don't have very close neighbors :cool: . My yard has been referred to as "the compound" lately by a house member. Hey, I bought the cameras to see things....

Here's a couple before/after pics with details that I knew about the cams at the time. It the shot of the house front, you can see the new side light shining in the background... I also blocked out the vehicle's license plate numbers as they were clearly readable. The first pic below was shot at ~10pm but I only just put up the camera and didn't set the time yet - hence showing year 2000.

The reason I stuck with the Unifi cams in spots is only because they had built-in audio. Now all my new 5442's have audio too!

With the longest exposure set to 6.66ms, I can get great clarity even when there's motion in the frame. I could increase the exposure to 8.33ms (1/120) and get a bit more light in the image but I think it's still good using 6.66ms.

Side Drive comparison.jpg

House front.jpg

Last edited:

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Very nice, I should probably do the same! Would love to see any “before and afters” you’d be willing to share!

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Very nice, I should probably do the same! Would love to see any “before and afters” you’d be willing to share!
I'll give it a go - problem I find with BI is that when I change a cam name, I seem to "lose" the previously saved clips from the old cam name somewhere...but I'll dig up something and post.

edit: added a couple pics to 1st post

Last edited: