Adding non Swann IP cameras to a Swann NVR system

Reaction score
Good afternoon everybody. I hope everyone is doing well during this time of madness. Please excuse my newbie question as I'm not the greatest with IP cameras. I have a buddy who has a Swann NVR and some of the cameras keep crapping out on him. Can I use any IP camera or is Swann Systems proprietary and only work with there cameras. I've installed other cameras like Axis, Vivotech and a few others but that was some time ago and those worked off of a server. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good afternoon everybody. I hope everyone is doing well during this time of madness. Please excuse my newbie question as I'm not the greatest with IP cameras. I have a buddy who has a Swann NVR and some of the cameras keep crapping out on him. Can I use any IP camera or is Swann Systems proprietary and only work with there cameras. I've installed other cameras like Axis, Vivotech and a few others but that was some time ago and those worked off of a server. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Hi @Thecableguy34

For the best results, look for the compatibility chart on the NVR at Swann's website and get those models. ( you may still need to configure the IPs, ports, user / passwords,.. )

Note Swann has used recently a couple of OEMs - and thus you will want to take that into account. ( best to pair the same OEM for both camera and NVR - remember to double check resolution supported.. )

Reaction score
Hi @Thecableguy34

For the best results, look for the compatibility chart on the NVR at Swann's website and get those models. ( you may still need to configure the IPs, ports, user / passwords,.. )

Note Swann has used recently a couple of OEMs - and thus you will want to take that into account. ( best to pair the same OEM for both camera and NVR - remember to double check resolution supported.. )
Hi thanks for the info. Would you know were I could look for hikvison cameras as far as compatibility.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I've added Hikvision cameras to a Swann NVR (hikvision re-brand, that one). So if the NVR is Hikvision-based, Hikvision cams would be your best bet, but the NVR I worked with also supported ONVIF cameras (an open standard for IP cameras). It didn't work with ONVIF at first, but once I updated to latest Swann firmware, ONVIF cams could be added, so that might give you more options... This was a Costco-special Swann NVR and camera package from 7-8 years back.