Adding older Linksys mjpeg stream to Dahua NVR question

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a way to do this somehow? I have been given a couple of old linksys wired cameras, and I can access an MJPEG stream at
http://192.168.0.111/img/mjpeg.jpg

I tried configuring the camera manually but I keep getting told that the URL is invalid.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Kruuth, how did you try to add them? OSD of the NVR? Through Webinterface? Through SmartPSS? Does it find the camera? Can you see the preview? Which type of Linksys Cam do you want to add? Is your Linksys ONVIF compatible? What firmware is your NVR on?

Lots of questions ;-)

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm a little new at this. I tried adding via the web interface. This is an older Linksys, maybe 10+ years old. It's not onvif. This is a WVC54G camera, and it appears to have 4.000.0000001.4, Build Date: 2018-03-17 as the firmware.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm a little new at this. I tried adding via the web interface. This is an older Linksys, maybe 10+ years old. It's not onvif. This is a WVC54G camera, and it appears to have 4.000.0000001.4, Build Date: 2018-03-17 as the firmware.
Those old mjpeg cameras are not even worth your time... They won't work with the NVR.. the image is crap... Toss them in the trash...

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. I have a few laying around and figured I'd try. Is there a cheap RTSP or ONVIF indoor camera I can sit on a table or something that's wired? It seems like all the cameras are either wifi and indoor, or wired and outdoor.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. I have a few laying around and figured I'd try. Is there a cheap RTSP or ONVIF indoor camera I can sit on a table or something that's wired? It seems like all the cameras are either wifi and indoor, or wired and outdoor.
These used to be a deal on rebranded hikvision cubes for 50. They are going for about 90 now. They support wifi and wired POE and have a PIR sensor... Most indoor cameras support wired as well but generally not POE.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As @fenderman said, investing a lot of time only to be rewarded with such a dismal image wouldn't appeal to most folks. But just in case you'd like to get it up and running so you can give it to your brother-in-law's 10 year old so he'll agree to leave your tech alone when they visit, have you tried the 'Setup Wizard' under 'Hardware version 1.0' ==>> here ?

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where should I find them?
Hi Kruuth,

You can also keep an eye out for some of the affordable indoor WiFi PT(no Z) cameras from LaView and Amcrest - they can sometimes be as low as $50-60 and seem popular.

Remember to secure your network ( see the notes in the wiki )

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok well I have a new camera, but in the v4 firmware I can't seem to find where to add them. The wiki is not for the v4 firmware. Is there a place to do to do this?

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm sorry, what notes in the wiki? I'm not sure I follow.

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok. I managed how to add cameras. The problems that I can see the rtsp stream in a browser, and I can see it in VLC. It opens up like this:

rtsp://192.168.0.X:554/user=admin&password=&channel=1&stream=0.sdp?

Now when I add the camera in the NVR, it selects under "Manual Add" and selects custom. I put the long URL I put in up there and I don't get a picture. Is something wrong? How it added?

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where do I put that then? I don't see where when I do a manual add. If I select Onvif for the Manufacturer, then I can give it an RTSP port and an IP but I don't see anything for a path. If I select customized, I only have a URL.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where do I put that then? I don't see where when I do a manual add. If I select Onvif for the Manufacturer, then I can give it an RTSP port and an IP but I don't see anything for a path. If I select customized, I only have a URL.
Select 'Custom', then for URL enter:
Code:
/user=admin&password=&channel=1&stream=0.sdp?
The IP address and port are elsewhere.

If user and password are also elsewhere, try for URL:
Code:
/&channel=1&stream=0.sdp?

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Where do I put the IP? I just have that URL Address

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, well I managed to get this to detect in the GUI. However, I don't get an image no matter what I do. It's supposed to be H264 , and I can see it in VLC but no matter what I do, I can't see an image in the dahua unit. I have a little red dot in the status window under registration.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe the firmware for your NVR is too old to offer that screen. Is the NVR about the same age as the camera?

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just got the NVR. Is there a place for the firmware?

Little update, I can actually see the video from the dahua, just not anything on iexplore.