Adjustment suggestions for Cliff Notes: Camera height

Olof

n3wb
Reaction score
The Cliff Notes have been enormously valuable to me when starting out with ip camera's. And I still regularly go back to it.

There is however, imho, room for improvement in the Cliff Notes on the topic of camera height placement. And given the amount of times forum-questions are asked and answered on this subject I suspect others might find it also beneficial.

Current Cliff Notes on Camera Height placement:
Section 'Common mistakes': Mounted too high: Mount cameras < 8 feet high to get a good angle for potential identification.
Section on Dori: Mount the cameras &lt;8 feet to ensure a good angle for identification purposes

Why above not good enough imho:
1. not enough distinction being made between one's goals (Detection, Observation, Recognition, Identification) and ideal camera height
2. the "<8 feet" norm is generally too high for Identification on people wearing caps or hoodies. An increasing problem with burglars and car thief's over here (Netherlands)
2.1 support 1: this Axis video Note the man with cap from 0:22 in the video
2.2 support 2: UK Police recommends eye-level placement
2.3 support 3: Axis recommends a camera-to-object angle of 10 degrees which is quite shallow. But even in their example the person is not wearing a cap or hoodie. See this Axis page

Suggested text addition

Where:

• section 'Camera Location Recommendations'
  • create a new subsection called 'Placement Height'

What (concept text-proposal):
  • For Detection and Observation situations (DOri): camera's can be mounted at any reasonable height (is this true?)
  • For Recognition and 'normal' Identification situations (doRI): mount cameras < 8 feet high to get a good angle for Recognition and potential identification on people NOT wearing caps or hoodies
  • For Identification on people who DO wear caps or hoodies: mount camera at eye-level (5-6 feet)
  • link to this nice Axis video showing the difference between std height (7-8 feet) and eye-level placement

Where: section DORI parameters
What: Add this link for a quick/basic intro to the DORI concept. For the complete noobs like me in the beginning

Cheers,
Maarten

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Time again I would mount at least two of my cameras lower. I'm actually considering placing one very low looking up, as I have a position where sun can be mostly avoided.

Cheers, Steve

Olof

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Barboots and CatcamStar for responding/liking the suggestion.
But how do I go about informing whomever is responsible for updating the Cliff Notes?