Advice appreciated

Reaction score
What would be the best location and camera for the driveway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

You need a test rig but probably one in the middle and one on the end, or maybe one centered on each garage door. Something around 6mm, the dahua turrets are popular, hikvision are also decent. Pick your form factor.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I struggled with the same question as do I think a lot of folks. Most end up with one camera trying to do the job of two and fail miserably. The object is to capture with enough detail for facial recognition around your vehicles, not just ID on "a guy in jeans with a black tshirt".

I'm pretty happy with my solution as it gives me good facial ID on either side of the vehicles, and with the Bonus of overview of the street. The right camera of course makes a difference and I chose the Dahua Starlights. Mine are the 3231 HD-CVI version - identical to the IP versions mentioned here in nayr's post. I would recommend the best cameras you can afford for driveway and front door surveillance as this is where 90% of your most important activity is likely to occur.

***Makes sure to choose 1080p playback for these youtube clips

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I struggled with the same question as do I think a lot of folks. Most end up with one camera trying to do the job of two and fail miserably. The object is to capture with enough detail for facial recognition around your vehicles, not just ID on "a guy in jeans with a black tshirt".

I'm pretty happy with my solution as it gives me good facial ID on either side of the vehicles, and with the Bonus of overview of the street. The right camera of course makes a difference and I chose the Dahua Starlights. Mine are the 3231 HD-CVI version - identical to the IP versions mentioned here in nayr's post. I would recommend the best cameras you can afford for driveway and front door surveillance as this is where 90% of your most important activity is likely to occur.

***Makes sure to choose 1080p playback for these youtube clips

Did you already have an HD-CVI system in place?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a 2012 analog system originally, fortunately I had anticipated equipment upgrades in the future so I ran Cat5 to each location, so in 2015 picked up a Tribrid DVR that allows me to run CVI and/or IP cams. At roughly 1/2 the price with very close to the same performance, I went with CVI cams to start. I may add IP cams where there is a clear benefit/improvement, but so far the 2MP Dahua CVI cams have worked well., Hell they even have 4MP and soon 4K CVI cams out now o_O Right now I'd like to upgrade one cam to that 5231 IP turret cam as there isn't anything with that form factor with that Starlight quality in the CVI line. I'm just not an IP network guru so the CVI/DVR system has been a good way to still do quality video. I think a lot of "IP network stupid" folks like me have that same networking learning curve.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a 2012 analog system originally, fortunately I had anticipated equipment upgrades in the future so I ran Cat5 to each location, so in 2015 picked up a Tribrid DVR that allows me to run CVI and/or IP cams. At roughly 1/2 the price with very close to the same performance, I went with CVI cams to start. I may add IP cams where there is a clear benefit/improvement, but so far the 2MP Dahua CVI cams have worked well., Hell they even have 4MP and soon 4K CVI cams out now o_O Right now I'd like to upgrade one cam to that 5231 IP turret cam as there isn't anything with that form factor with that Starlight quality in the CVI line. I'm just not an IP network guru so the CVI/DVR system has been a good way to still do quality video. I think a lot of "IP network stupid" folks like me have that same networking learning curve.
No judgement here dude, whatever tool does the job well. I'm not a zealot, I personally wouldn't buy analog cams but if I had an analog system, and didn't know much about computers and didn't really care to learn nothing wrong with sticking with that. There is something retro and cool about it to me in fact.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
you can pretty much figure on one camera per car, 2mp starlight zoomed in for good enough pixel density, will not cover two cars, if that one car is all you have, one cam in the middle of where you park will be fine.

Reaction score
I appreciate the information. We currently have two vehicles. Im leaning towards the Dahua turrents for this portion of the house.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
greenmarcus_02,
Welcome to the forum!

You need a test rig
+1 on that advice!

Most cameras I mounted (temporarily) were moved later as I learned and got up to speed.
Important considerations I learned about:
1) "Choke points", to get facial id
2) Height: No higher than 8ft, if you can help it. Unless you wanna see the top of a hoody, ball cap, or bald spots.
3) FOV: Don't think "wide angle" means you see more. Avoid 2.8mm lens for outdoors, anything more than 10ft away won't have enough detail.

Play around with this, keep PFF 100 or above: Camera Calculator / Design Software
+1 on that advice!

About "test rigs":

Make a test rig that you can move about and find the best FOV, give it a few days to sink in and ensure your satisfied.. 5g Bucket of Rocks/Sand + 2x4 works well enough, just make sure bad weather wont get to it for those test periods
Doing it right!

Mount the camera to a long 1x4 or a tripod and try it in a bunch of the locations you're considering. Pay attention to night performance.
Once you've got narrowed down some, evaluate how hard it would be to run the cable / how ugly conduit would look in that location.
Where to install turret camera I'm about to purchase?

you should pick your locations first w/camera and then run conduit to it; the view you think you have and the view you end up getting are rarely the same until you've done this a few times.. as I was saying in another thread today; a big benifit to DIY installing over hiring a pro is you can take your sweet time.. install locations can make or break a camera, you'd be amazed what a few feet difference can make.
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

The 3 linnks above should help....

Fastb

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I will say on test rigs really try to get a tripod, trying to haul a 5 gallon bucket full of rocks and a long piece of wood sticking out is a pain in the ass, lol.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Many tripods won't go as high as cameras are often mounted but they can still be a useful first pass.
Well, I mean, you might be able to modify one, or use the kind that holds up a big background for taking pictures, they go pretty high, don't remember how high

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are about 4 locations I'd suggest you try:
upload_2017-3-12_16-14-2.png

You may need 2 cameras to fully cover the driveway, depends on how often the car is in the driveway.

A varifocal camera is a good choice so you can zoom in and out to get the image just right.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
My favorite "test rig" is a light bulb changer. The pole is extendable (easy height adjustable) (without unscrewing the cam from a 2x4 in a bucket to change height). The end has a spring basket, to grab the bulb. I screw the cam to a 6" chunk of 2x4. The 2x4 is inserted into the spring basket. The 2x4 can be moved withing the basket, to tilt down or up. This is an easier adjustment than removing the camera cover to re-aim the turret, bullet, dome, etc. I lean the pole against the house, or fasten it to a ladder using bungee cords.
Fastb

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your question seems to indicate a single camera for the driveway. I think you should considered what cameras and views you desire for the entire front of you house. For example, I have wide driveway for a 3 car garage. I installed cams on the opposite ends of the garage with them pointing across each other. Therefore, there's overlapping views and I can see both approaches on my street. Also, I have side yard access on the side opposite of my front door. So for this side access choke point I installed a varifocal to achieve a better facial ID. Lastly, I have a front door cam covering the other side of my house.

If your budget is limited now, then try to prioritize your needs and add cams as your budget allows.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
greenmarcu_2,

Check the tool at this site:
Camera Calculator / Design Software

Enter your address, google maps will be used to pull up a view.
Then place a cam on your house. Pick a lens, aim the cam, and you'll have an idea for FOV. And pic quality at various distances (ie: PPF)

Fastb

Reaction score
Wow thanks for all the helpful information. I have a lot of work to do and this will get me going in the right direction! Glad I joined the forum!