Advice for novice on security cameras

Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking for some advise on setting up security cameras on a construction site.

Can anyone recommend a system for setting up a camera with 4 cameras on a 1/2 acre single plot?

We envisage 4 cameras at the side and walk ways and then more powerful cameras covering the front drive, Road and back access.
The front drive cameras need to read number plates and have a range of 20m and night vision.
Ideally the cameras output is viewable and videoed online as well as on onsite recorders.
We have wifi connected and will have mains power onsite and will do the installation ourselves.

Can you recommend which camera to use and what quality they should be?
Which recorder should we use?

We are also potentially looking at setting up multiple cameras now on multiple sites and would be looking at getting a command control centre in our office.
Can you recommend what software we could use to set this up, would we need specific pc's. How many sites could we cover with this system, would that be one screen per site.
Any you could tell me about setting this up would be very much appreciated.

TIA
Maria

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Most of what you are asking is covered in multiple threads on this forum.

First learn to crawl before you walk. Get a security system that will fit your needs meaning get the coverage you want. Then after that and once your comfortable you can move onto trying to capture license plates. LPR is a whole different ball game. These camera you use for that will need to be dedicated to that and nothing else as it will require custom image settings in order to catch plates at night.

Sorry, without typing answers I and others have typed a million times over, I would encourage you spending sometime browsing the forum and you'll find everything you asked above in great detail.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Maria, this advice is going to require a professional to visit your site or sites and conduct a walk through of the property. Once that is done, a budget is going to need to be established. Then a plan for each site can be put together. Make sure that the first site is set up properly, with the idea of other sites that will need to be all using the same equipment, or else you will be wasting money. Hikvision and Dahua both have very robust Video Management Softwares that will give you what you need, and they are free. They will give you the ability to view multiple sites on one pc, laptop, or phone app.