Advice for outdoor camera (PoE)

John Joseph

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to get at least one camera put up at the back of my house, where I have been broken into a number of years back and had another attempted break in this week.

Ideally, I had something like the following in mind;

• Preferably PoE (the router sits on the other side of the wall where I want the camera to be)
  • Onboard/local storage, + cloud
  • Wall mountable
  • No visible wiring
To expand on these points a little ..
I'd prefer PoE as it seems a bit more future proof and reliable than wifi. A normal hard wired camera is also an option but PoE with a single cable would be better. For installation, I'd like the wiring from the back of the camera to be hidden behind the mount, which I can then feed through into the house via a drilled hole only big enough for the cat5 cable to go through. I have seen a few cameras where the wiring is hidden in the mount, but the wire is too short and it comes terminated with a female RJ45 socket which would be too big a hole to drill. If the cable was longer, I could cut the female off, feed through and crimp a new RJ45 pin but with a short wire it's impossible. Here's an example of what I mean (attached pic):

So, if there is a camera like that one but with a longer connecting cat5 cable, or one where the RJ45 can be connected within the camera casing, that would be ideal.

If one doesn't exist, what are my other options ?

In terms of height, the back wall runs high so it can be physically placed at roughly any height.
Does the mount height really matter? Yes, being higher means they won't be able to rip it off or smash it, however you compromise then the view of whoever is in the garden. Is it better to mount it lower, to get a better view (not for ID purposes, as they'd be covered/masked anyway, but a better profile view) ?

If i wanted to mount it higher, the installation changes somewhat, and I don't think I'd be able to use PoE unless I switched to a visible wire camera and had cable in conduit on the outside wall running down and coming in to the downstairs room where the router is.

Could anyone advise as to what would be best?

I've not mentioned the front of the house, which is even trickier. I have a very low cut roof out the front, the soffit is literally at about 6ft 6. Without the house being networked I don't think I can have a PoE camera out the front, so I'm not sure it's worth installing one at all out there? The back is far more important as that is far more vulnerable than the front. The front is fairly visible, car is on the drive.

Is it worth getting a camera there also, and is there a way of getting a single camera system rather than separates? I'm happy to go with hard wired without PoE if required, but really don't want to bother with a battery stick up cam type.

There is an outside light by the front door, which I would guess could be replaced by a cam with a light, or a cam under it. But this would be mounted at head height and below.

The last alternative for the front is a window sill cam, but these don't really work do they behind glass at night?

Any advice would be really appreciated on any of these points, thank you!

Just to mention too by the way, I have a locksmith coming today to upgrade all the locks and door handles, and windows so the most important bit is covered first before the cameras :)