Advice needed and apreciated for rural outdoor system in mountains *newb*

awlectric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello to all. Advice greatly needed on rural property security camera system , we have no internet here, and the property consists of various slopes and is heavily wooded. Im pretty sold on the 1080p cameras, but i dont know where to start with this. It gets cold here and sometimes snows so i will need some weatherized style. There will need to be a few aprox 200 ft away from the dvr. A good nightvision is a must for us due to bear activity and whatever/whoever else.The motion kind might be ok too, not sure. Kind of looking for something that can we can expand on, if ever any other internet other than huesnet satellite becomes available. After almost pulling the trigger on a lorex, the more I read, the more I think the hikvision might be a better quality setup. With all of this being said , can any of you help me design a system? I haven't seen any hikvision complete in a box setup anywhere. The hikvision turbo sounds interesting tho! Where do I start here?

CYANiDE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How are you running cables to the cameras? Trenching?

awlectric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't know where to start. How should I run the cables, or even what cable to run

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@awlectric What do you mean by motion settings style?
Match your cameras to the NVR..dont mix and match brands...also note there is nothing wrong with lorex ip 1080p systems...they are generally rebranded hikvision...also the amount of cameras you can have is not depended on what internet service you use..so you dont have to wait to expand.

awlectric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I dont know what I mean by that,because I don't know what to do or whats available. Lol. I dont have any internet connection, does NVR need internet? I need help building a system. I thought lorex systems were not as good as hikvision? Im lost !

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont know what I mean by that,because I don't know what to do or whats available. Lol. I dont have any internet connection, does NVR need internet? I need help building a system. I thought lorex systems were not as good as hikvision? Im lost !
You dont need internet at all..only reason why you would need internet is for remote viewing.
Lorex sells many different types of systems..some are analog junk..others are just rebranded hikvision or dahua...same with swann...
If you are a novice and non technical, all the more reason to get an ip system form costco, swann, lorex, qsee
http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?storeId=10301&catalogId=10701&langId=-1&refine=&keyword=ip+camera
if you ever have any issues you bring it back..

awlectric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any recomendation on one of the lorex systems? How do I tell witch ones are the rebranded hikis? I was trying to stay away from lorex because I have read the customer service isn't all thst good, hence the request for hikivision system ideas.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
200 feet is pretty long for a network cable. Still within spec though. You may be able to save some cable by putting a PoE switch closer to the furthest cameras, that way you only have to run one cable to the switch, and shorter cables to each camera.

I would recommend an all-hikvision system. These can be found from Nelly's security, Wrightwoord Surveillance, or from the forum user @milkisbad who sells rebranded Hikvision gear.

Having tried remote security cameras hosted by satellite internet, I have to say it works very poorly and you won't want to do much remote access with that kind of internet, so don't bother if you don't have satellite internet already.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Any recomendation on one of the lorex systems? How do I tell witch ones are the rebranded hikis? I was trying to stay away from lorex because I have read the customer service isn't all thst good, hence the request for hikivision system ideas.
It seems like lorex was purchased by flir back in december of 2012. The new lorex systems at costco are flir..as you can see the camera design matches...now as to who makes that camera for them..maybe dahua...
http://www.flirsecurity.com/pro/product/n133-233-bullet-ip-cameras-poe-hd-tdn-ir-cold-climate/
The older lorex systems with hikvision rebrands..

awlectric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's EXACTLY the problem I was thinking I would have, ive read everywhere that satellite internet dosent (hnet) jive at all with any of the camera systems at all due to a firewall? Issue. Its looking like a 16 channel poe hiki setup it is!!!! It looks like the price tag Is going up fast! But with everything quality costs.The pan tilt zoom camera will be awesome for the entryway. Thank you so much everyone for responding! (Finally getting the hang of it :) )

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's EXACTLY the problem I was thinking I would have, ive read everywhere that satellite internet dosent (hnet) jive at all with any of the camera systems at all due to a firewall? Issue. Its looking like a 16 channel poe hiki setup it is!!!! It looks like the price tag Is going up fast! But with everything quality costs.The pan tilt zoom camera will be awesome for the entryway. Thank you so much everyone for responding! (Finally getting the hang of it :) )
The issue with satellite ONLY relates to remote viewing...nothing else....ptz are generally not worth the extra cost, unless you have a specific application, are going to sit there manning the ptz controls, or set up special sensors to trigger the ptz...

awlectric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok guys, is this a good setup?
Hiki 7716 unbranded nvr with 16 chanells and upgraded to 9tb hard drive, poe, 20 fps hikvision 2032 cameras x3 cameras, and then upgrade as necessary?
Good to go?

awlectric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh forgot to say, that setup is around 1600.00, WITHOUT cable. What say you?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i would go with the 2332 turret over the 2032 bullet..they are more aesthetically pleasing, have slightly better ir and are harder to push out of position..