Advice Needed: Installing in an EMI rich environment

Vadski

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an install in a commercial facility with an ton of EMI producing equipment. I quoted him for an IP system and I plan to run STP cat5e with shielded connectors throughout. Some of the runs will be fished behind the sheetrock so the STP is the only form of protection. The others will be ran through 1/2" EMt. I also have a steel 6u server case and a few rolls of 3M EMI foil tape to seal the cracks. The cameras will be for perimeter monitoring but the NVR will be mounted in a closet 4 feet away from a large EMI source. From my search it seems @nayr has chimed in on this subject. This is my first install in this type of environment so I know I will learn a few lessons so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It depends on the nature of the environment / EMI producing equipment. In some cases the facility may even have people on site with the knowledge and tools to test and resolve EMC issues.

I'd do the following:
-Maximize distance between noisy equipment and cables
-Install a well grounded stp patch panel
-Ground your conduit
-Use a good power conditioner/ups on your switch / nvr.

Worst case you can always force a troublesome cable to 10baseT

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you regularly have computer and telecommunication issues there (wired stuff only, wifi sucks regardless), it will likely affect the cameras as well. If not, then you probably have nothing to worry about. If you have any long network runs you could do with fiber optics then you might do that (EM won't induce current in fiber optic cable of course).

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mount em to metal junction boxes and on the far end attach the STP ground to the junction box, that should ground the chassis.. Make sure your not getting cheap plastic cameras.. rarely will a camera's ethernet port provide a chassis ground and be properly shielded.

for the EMT runs that wont be needed as long as you bond it to ground somewhere..

make sure NVR/Switch grounds are hooked up, if your putting all this in a rack cabinet might as well install some copper bus bars to tie everything into.