Advice needed regarding cpu upgrade

Thomas B

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am currently running BI on a Dell Optiplex with an Intel E8400. The program runs fine but the CPU Usage is very high.With 2 cameras running and 1 device viewing the web server the cpu is at 60% usage and will spike into he high 90's if I need to connect with remote desktop to do anything. I was thinking of upgrading the cpu but I am not sure if it will matter. The best cpu for this socket under $100 seems to be the Q9650. The multi-core performance is a little higher but the singe core performance is only slightly better. Will upgrading to this cpu provide any benefit for BI? Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Intel Core2 Quad Q9650 vs Duo E8400

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Naaaa. Save the money put it toward something better. It's not going to be much if any upgrade and you'll still be in the same place.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am currently running BI on a Dell Optiplex with an Intel E8400. The program runs fine but the CPU Usage is very high.With 2 cameras running and 1 device viewing the web server the cpu is at 60% usage and will spike into he high 90's if I need to connect with remote desktop to do anything. I was thinking of upgrading the cpu but I am not sure if it will matter. The best cpu for this socket under $100 seems to be the Q9650. The multi-core performance is a little higher but the singe core performance is only slightly better. Will upgrading to this cpu provide any benefit for BI? Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Noooooo..as mike says...those are old slow powerhogs - you would be paying more to run them than the cost of a new system...a 9 year old processor..you can buy a third generation i5-3470 complete system for about 100...or pay a bit more and get 4th gen...

Thomas B

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Noooooo..as mike says...those are old slow powerhogs - you would be paying more to run them than the cost of a new system...a 9 year old processor..you can buy a third generation i5-3470 complete system for about 100...or pay a bit more and get 4th gen...
Thanks for the reply. I have some hp 6300's and 8300's that I was planning on using for other projects. I'll probably try to put one together for BI instead and see how it looks.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Just curious...is this unit with the high CPU usage running Windows 10?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, it's running Windows Server 2012, which is think is based on 8.1
OK, thx. I asked because Win 10 is notorious for some out-of-the-box issues with high CPU usage that can be mitigated somewhat with various quick n' easy tweaks to 'Settings' and 'Services' in Windows.

Last edited:

auscam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you enabled direct to disk recording? That helped my CPU usage a lot.