Advice on new camera system for RV park

be3

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been reading this forum and other places, trying to learn as much as I can about security cameras, and am hoping I can get some advice. We are building a new RV park, and want to put in a security camera system. We got one bid from a local installer, but it was around $15,000 which is well beyond our budget and it didn't exactly meet our needs, and it is a rural area without a lot of other professional options. We can get someone to do the actual installation, but I'm hoping that we can buy the cameras etc ourselves and get a system that works for us without spending so much money. Also that way we can more easily and affordably adjust the system as needed (add a camera or two, change out for different type of camera, etc). Here are our needs, and my thoughts so far:
1. We plan on installing 10-12 cameras; most indoor, some outdoor.
2. We would like to be able to archive data for 1 week. 3-5 frames per second sounds like plenty (maybe a little more in places where cash is handled).
3. Not all of the cameras will be within 100m/cat5e cable distance from the central server/switch, however there will be wired internet service to a building within 100m of all cameras (hopefully; not planning to use any wireless cameras for now, but would be nice to have that option if needed), so all can be connected to the network via ethernet cable.

My current thoughts:
1. The Hikvision cameras seem very well thought of here, and reasonably priced, so looking at them.
2. Thinking of using Blue Iris software. I put together computers for friends and family as a hobby, so I think I can handle building (or just buying from Dell) a server to run Blue Iris. I'm not sure about the storage part however, as it seems this will need a lot of storage space especially if we end up adding more cameras (depending on frame rate etc). Thinking a small NAS storage device, such as a small Synology box, may be the way to go, although I have no experience with those and don't know if that will work for the very high volume of writing it will take to archive data from 10+ cameras. I have seen threads on here where people have built Blue Iris servers with Xeon processors and used > 24 cameras, so hopefully that can work.
3. Thinking of using a PoE switch to power the cameras, and lightning arrestors inline for any outdoor cameras.

I appreciate any advice.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My thoughts:
Dont do WiFi, when your RV park is full of RV's and they are all using WiFi devices those cameras will be unavailable.. Pull the ethernet, and perhaps plan a neighboring WiFi network.. if you put 10-12 access points arround you might have a pretty decent wireless network for guests/visitiors... I know alot of RV parks make a killing selling WiFi by the hour.. Look at Ubiquiti's gear, they have have units with dual network ports that pass through PoE.. so you can power both the Access Point and a camera off the same cable run.

Screw BluIris, NAS, all that.. you will spends alot more money when a simple 4 hdd NVR will do the job.. and for cheaper.. your recording 24/7 you dont need any video processing. spend the money on storage, not cpus and electricity.

Look closely at dahua aswell, but hikvision is good... then stick with your brand and get there NVR that suites your needs.

Pick a camera that has multiple lens options available, then buy one at each lens option and use those to decide what lens works best where, have your installers pull the cable, then order the rest of your cameras.

Last edited by a moderator:

be3

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, that is very helpful, and will save a bunch of money.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Got a friend having a garage built. He wants surveillance on all sides. The Router and switch will be in the residence which is about 40 feet away. My question is, to monitor 4 cams from that far, is wireless doable? I already plan on installing a quality router. Rather not dig a trench to run Ethernet cables. Plan on 4 or more IPW5231.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got a friend having a garage built. He wants surveillance on all sides. The Router and switch will be in the residence which is about 40 feet away. My question is, to monitor 4 cams from that far, is wireless doable? I already plan on installing a quality router. Rather not dig a trench to run Ethernet cables. Plan on 4 or more IPW5231.
If you're adamant about not running cable, I would consider a Layer 2 Transparent bridge using 2 Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M5 radios. Do you have good LOS (Line Of Sight) between the mounting points of the 2 prospective radio locations, 1 at house and other at garage?

I have done several of these and they work great and are especially valuable where severe lightning can be a issue (as here in the southeast U.S.). More help on the Layer 2 Transparent Bridge setup >> here <<==.

Here's one I installed a few months ago between a customer's house and barn:

Ubiquiti_layer2_bridge-cams.jpg