Advice wireless ip cameras

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At our business our house and shop is 500 feet from each other. We also have two more buildings one is 250 the other is 400 feet from the nvr.

Is there a way to put cameras at each location and wireless back to the nvr?

The 500 feet location will have 4 cameras, the 400 feet building will have 2 cameras and the 250 feet will have three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
There is a good post here on the ubiquity nano stations.
If you have good line of sight.between the house and the shop.
Have a read up there probably the best to go with.

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is a good post here on the ubiquity nano stations.
If you have good line of sight.between the house and the shop.
Have a read up there probably the best to go with.
Will do!

So id prolly need one at each area where the cameras are located?

Also will i need one at the receiving end as well for all buildings? Or just one.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Have a read up I'm not sure,if you buy one receiver and two ap antennas?
There web site has a lot of information on how they work.

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have a read up I'm not sure,if you buy one receiver and two ap antennas?
There web site has a lot of information on how they work.
Thanks! I havnt found it yet but im looking.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Search my user name for Ubiquiti. I've made a number of posts with instructions and advice on using Ubiquiti gear for just what you want to to do.

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Search my user name for Ubiquiti. I've made a number of posts with instructions and advice on using Ubiquiti gear for just what you want to to do.
Thanks!! Will do.

Will one access point catch three total and allow 4 cameras at each spot?

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you can do it that way but they work best with direct line of site which means the endpoint needs to face the head end. general direction is good enough for short distances but you may encounter issues with a secondary site broadcasting "from the side" so to speak. think of bridge mode as a wireless wire...they do make an omnidirectional antenna for running them in ap mode but it reduces the effective distance. alot of variable for anyone to give you a guarantee but if you are dealing with a treeless area of less than 1000 yards and have the capability to mount all the antennas high and in sight then you will be fine. I have used all configs and generally window mounts rather than exterior roof or wall mounts and have had great success up to 1500 yds (no need for further distances in any of my cases)

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
This is the search result for "Ubiquiti ptmp" under my name. I've never done a peer to multi peer arrangement with that many cameras and those distances. I'm tempted to say no, particularly for a newb setting up their first network for security purposes. I'd go with a pair of Nanos for each remote location in.bridge mode.Use them as wires back to the center.

Search Results for Query: Ubiquiti ptmp | IP Cam Talk[user][0]=2164

Last edited:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh, and I'd probably use Loco Nano M5s. Program them and verify them working on your bench and then mount them after you know they're working.

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So the m5 will be better over the 900mhz?
I figured the 900mhz would reach farther.

These will all be line of site. Also nothing in the way either. And they will be able to point back to the access point straight on as well.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Lower freq is better for object penetration. Otherwise, generally go higher for better bandwidth. 2.4ghz is generally pretty cluttered in populated areas. A site survey will tell what's in your area. You can use tools built into Ubiquiti hardware to do your site survey if you want, but not much point if you're in the country. You should have a good idea what's running. 900 is pretty much a specialty tool if you can't get 2.4 to punch through something.

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lower freq is better for object penetration. Otherwise, generally go higher for better bandwidth. 2.4ghz is generally pretty cluttered in populated areas. A site survey will tell what's in your area. You can use tools built into Ubiquiti hardware to do your site survey if you want, but not much point if you're in the country. You should have a good idea what's running. 900 is pretty much a specialty tool if you can't get 2.4 to punch through something.
Gotcha. Yea the only 2.4 is the wireless in the house and the wireless in the office.

Heres a google earth to give an idea of what the layout will be.

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How many mbps are they? It says 150+. I thought n was 300?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
They run a 100mbps wire so anything over that is just excess headroom.