Advise on camera locations to cover driveway

Ajpepe72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just had a couple of 4mp Varifocal dahuas delivered to replace my single hikvision 2032 that covers our driveway, the hikvision is positioned just below the sill of the small first floor window on right of house as shown by arrow (other visible cameras are old ones)

The second image is the camera image.
We are an end terrace house so the driveway entrance is the only way in unless they jump over wall or neighbours fence.

Is 2 cameras sufficient and what would be their best location? The location of my current camera works well so more after advice for second camera.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi AJpepe

What are the 2 items by the front door and 1st story window by the front door?

You would also want a lower view to catch facial images for ID purposes.

BTW - in case you have not yet seen these notes:
It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Ajpepe72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The object arrows is my hikvision, the camera to the left of the front door is an old camera that is coming down, the object in top corner of front door is a dusk/dawn sensor for the wall lights and there is a really old Foscam up by the roof which is also coming down.
I will look at those threads.
Thanks.

Ajpepe72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have got two of the 4431rz Varifocals just been delivered but there seem to be mixed reviews on them now I’ve had a good root around.
So not sure whether to sell them on and pay more for the 2mp Dahua starlight which everyone is raving about ?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe keep them but put Dahua IPC-HDB5231R-Z Starlight varifocals in the critical areas. Use the cheapos in other places. More is better but use the good cams where you expect trouble and want a good ID.