After doing a Factory Default, none of my cameras can be seen.

thsears

n3wb
Reaction score
I did a Factory Default to recover my admin password. I was able to reset the password, but none of cameras will come online. They were all working before I reset to defaults. I have 4 Hikvision cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How are you trying to see them - NVR, Blue Iris, browser?

Sounds like they now have different IP addresses than before.

thsears

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt response.
I'm using a Hikvision NVR. I'm thinking you are correct, I guess I'll just have to go un-install one of them (outdoors) and try to get into it directly?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about unplugging them from the NVR and delete the existing cameras in the NVR and then plug one in and see if the NVR finds it and initializes it and then repeat process.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah, the admin password gets assigned to the cameras in most cases with NVR's. So you might need to do some trickery. unplug plug into diff ports, or push the reset on the cams( not fun in Winter) On my Amcrest, If I wait a minute or 2 it seems to recognize what happened and then plays nice with reacquiring the device. or manually doing a device search from the menus and re adding what it finds.

thsears

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks,
How do you like Blue Iris? I am good and sick of the Hikvision support and the GUI is pretty damn clunky.

My Hikvision worked flawlessly when I purchased the equipment in 2015, but my ISP changed out my router and we updated our phones. The setup still worked internally with all all cameras showing up on my monitor, but I lost all ability to access them remotely. That's when I went the factory default route. I was able to reset my password, but now none of the cameras show up inside or remotely. The NVR is accessible from my Mac, after I enabled DDNS.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks,
How do you like Blue Iris? I am good and sick of the Hikvision support and the GUI is pretty damn clunky.
I think BI is great. It is certainly worth the cost of the software. Of course you'll have hardware costs as well unless you can repurpose a computer you already have to do BI duty. The flexibility of BI will be much greater than that of a NVR. The downside is that flexibility adds more complexity too, but I think BI does a great job with it's "default" settings which allow a user to get a system up and running very quickly and easily. Then you can start the process of "dialing" settings in if there is something you need to change - but the default settings might work just fine as well.

The continued development of BI is also impressive. It was a great software when I started using it a few years ago, but it has continued to improve and add new features that I have come to rely on now (sub stream integration, etc). I'm eagerly awaiting the newest developments revolving around AI and how that will be directly integrated into BI. I have AI built into my cameras so I haven't worried about AI integration previously, but will integrate license plate reading into my system when I feel it is stable enough to add (it is clearly NOT stable enough yet).

Anyway, don't be afraid to jump of the BI wagon.

thsears

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow,

Thanks for the BI info. I can tell you, I am good and sick of the Hikvision NVR. I am still battling to get my remote access up and running.
I know the gear cost of switching to BI is an issue, but at least I would be getting fairly standard equipment and NOT proprietary Hikvision stuff.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The remote access issue's are all related to the change in modem/router.
You need to figure out what needs changed in the router to allow remote access to work once again.

Exactly how were you doing remote access previously? P2P, forwarded ports in the router, Vpn?

You can purchase a very capable used PC for less than $200 that will run Blue Iris. You can download and try BI for 14 days at no charge. Home - Blue Iris Software

How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk

thsears

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the sage advice. You are correct, once I got the router configured for port forwarding correctly, everything works now. I have access to all cameras on both my and my wife's iPhones.

The responses from the people on this site was very helpful!

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
....once I got the router configured for port forwarding correctly, everything works now. I have access to all cameras on both my and my wife's iPhones.

The responses from the people on this site was very helpful!
I'd just note that using port forwarding to allow outside access to your system is extremely insecure. There is a huge number of bots that do nothing but scan the internet for open ports and then compile a list for hackers to explore. I'd say it's just a matter of time before your system is compromised IMHO. These hardware NVR systems)are a juicy target for hackers because normally the firmware on these devices is also very insecure and full of exploits. It's not so much that hackers care about seeing yourCCTV footage (although that is certainly in the realm of possibility), but instead they want to add software to your device to make it part of a global network of compromised devices that can be utilized for larger hacks and disruptions.

A much better solution would be to use a self hosted VPN connection on your network that would allow people to securely access your network (and therefore the NVR as well) while not being on the local network. There is plenty of information about self hosted VPNs on this site, but feel free to ask questions too.