Input

Erik

n3wb
Reaction score
What do I need to set up an alarm input for a LaView camera? (Rebranded Hikvision).
I currently have one of these alarm sensors.. Is there any way I could make the receiver an input? (When the sound goes off, have a wire running to the nvr?)

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure of the question. Plz add more details....
I currently have one of these alarm sensors
So the LaView cam has inputs for an external alarm input?

Is there any way I could make the receiver an input? (When the sound goes off, have a wire running to the nvr?)
In general, you can connect a sensor (PIR, laser line, PIR, etc) to either the a) NVR alarm input line or b) the camera's external alarm input.

Do you have an NVR? (wasn't clear in your post). Maybe you're using BI? Or neither?

Fastb

Erik

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure of the question. Plz add more details....

So the LaView cam has inputs for an external alarm input?

In general, you can connect a sensor (PIR, laser line, PIR, etc) to either the a) NVR alarm input line or b) the camera's external alarm input.

Do you have an NVR? (wasn't clear in your post). Maybe you're using BI? Or neither?

Fastb
Sorry, I wasn't clear

I currently have one of these sensors amazon - Amazon.com: Chamberlain Wireless Motion Alert Security System (CWA2000): Home Improvement

and an NVR

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh, and welcome to the forum!

I looked at the 5 page manual. I see no indication this sesnors can be connected to anything. (alarm system, camera, NVR, strobe lights, etc)

So even if your LaView cam has an input for an external sensor, the Chamberlain doesn't seem to have an output to connect the to the LaView.

Fastb

Erik

n3wb
Reaction score
I guess my question would be.. Can i physically open the receiver which makes the sound, tap into that wire, and hook it to the nvr. I guess it would depend on voltage? If so, I could hook that to a replay, and have the relay supply the correct voltage?

Or are there any alarms that make this simple?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
alarm inputs are no voltage, your just shorting it to ground.. you'd have to basically open it up and attach a relay or mosfet so that sound would close a contact.. running current through the alarm IO is not a good idea and liable to end badly.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Erik,

So the proposition seems to be:

Can I connect into a closed-loop system, and tap the tbd line that indicates the remote MD device has detected an "intrusion"?

Given:
The sensor isn't set up to signal another device.
There isn't an "alarm out" set of dry contacts [NO, COM, NC]

Then:
Can you find a signal to connect to the NVR to use as an alarm input?

Me:
I wouldn't want to fry the alarm input line to the NVR
The NVR costs more than the $50 MD sensor
My time isn't free. So figuring out a "hack" to use the $50 sensor means I won't spend too much time on it.
Esp given the risk that experiments could hurt the NVR.
And the idea a relay could be used between the NVR and MD sensor? More $, more head scratching, and experimentation....

My likely decision:
I'd shy away from the whole proposition.
Throwing good money after bad....
With risk to the NVR.

Possible Hack:
The device provides a "Unique sound and light pattern on the base unit identifies which sensor has been triggered."
You could have a camera that fills the FOV with the base unit. When the lights go active, you get an MD event.
But now, you're using a cam (investment) to utilize a $50 MD device.
And you'd have to fiddle and dink with getting the Rude Goldberg contraption to work.

Fastb

Erik

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok that's good information.

If I wanted to buy a device made for this, what would i research? Something wireless would be preferred

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Posssible search terms
wireless PIR detector
Motion detector with NC contacts
Motion sensor with relay contact outputs