Alarm Output on Hikvision NVR... How to connect to siren/light???

Hikv

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello guys!

I'm a happy user of Hikvision NVR DS-7608-E2/8P/A connected to 5 Exir 1080p bullet camera...
Everything has worked really well, and now I want to improve my setup...

I have noticed that on my NVR there are 5 Alarm Imput and 1 alarm output (I/O)...

I'm really interested in configuring the Alarm Output..
In my ideas, I want to link a Siren and 2 big led light to that alarm output... to manually activate it from remote, or in case of "video loose" (for example when someone try to cut the cable to the cameras...).

I have searched a lot on the internet, but I can't find a good guide to configure it...

In my idea
I think I have to buy a 12v power supply... and connect the red wire (+) from the psu to one alarm output (entrance) of nvr... and again another red wire from the nvr to for example the siren... and finally the black wire (GND) from the siren to the power supply... to close the circuit... Is that correct?
This is an example image...
dvr_alarm_output_connect_siren.jpg

If is this correct... Can I link other 2 light for example to the circuit? like in series?

There is a max power limitation or I can utilize for example a 12v and 10A psu???

Thanks

[SOLVED]
See post #14

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Having looked at the technical specifications for various NVR models with alarm I/O there is no mention of the type of interface, whether it is a dry relay contact or an open-collector electronic output.
Without knowing that detail, you stand a chance of destroying the interface by applying such a power supply and load to it.
We know the cameras have an electronic output - and that the portable NVR has a dry relay output.
I think it would be best to email Hikvision tech support to ask them for the technical specifications for the alarm I/O for your specific NVR.

If you get no response, it would be safe enough to connect the output to an opto-isolator relay module such as this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Opto-isolator-1-Channel-Power-Module-Expansion/dp/B00O9YPGD4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454159204&sr=8-1&keywords=opto-isolator+relay+module
Just 5mA load which the NVR will be fine with whatever it's output - and a chunky enough relay for your siren, and can be switched between N/O and N/C for the alarm output.

Hikv

n3wb
Reaction score
Having looked at the technical specifications for various NVR models with alarm I/O there is no mention of the type of interface, whether it is a dry relay contact or an open-collector electronic output.
Without knowing that detail, you stand a chance of destroying the interface by applying such a power supply and load to it.
We know the cameras have an electronic output - and that the portable NVR has a dry relay output.
I think it would be best to email Hikvision tech support to ask them for the technical specifications for the alarm I/O for your specific NVR.

If you get no response, it would be safe enough to connect the output to an opto-isolator relay module such as this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Opto-isolator-1-Channel-Power-Module-Expansion/dp/B00O9YPGD4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454159204&sr=8-1&keywords=opto-isolator+relay+module
Just 5mA load which the NVR will be fine with whatever it's output - and a chunky enough relay for your siren, and can be switched between N/O and N/C for the alarm output.
First, thanks for your reply!
I will try to contact the Hikvision Italian support and also my seller... to ask information, as you suggested before.

But... how this opto-isolator works??
I have to connect it like that? (don't look at the dimension)

example.jpg

I have no idea on how this things works... if you can make also a simple scheme it will be really appreciated

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, your diagram looks OK, well done!
The uncertainty would be ensuring the correct polarity of the input to the opto-isolator relative to that of the NVR alarm output if it is an electronic output such as an open-collector type. Connecting the wrong way round will in this case do no harm - but the relay would not be switched. The alarm output might be helpfully labelled. If it's a relay output, polarity will not matter.
An opto-isolator is a good solution for when a low voltage circuit needs to control a high-voltage or high-power circuit and it could be hazardous if they were directly connected, especially if there is a large voltage difference between them.
As the name implies - it is light that provides the communication link across the barrier.

They work something like this:
The low-power device such as an alarm output, which has a very limited voltage and current rating, is used to switch on or off a current that flows through an LED. This can be done with a few mA or 10's of mA switching up to say 12v.
The LED shines on a photo-sensor, which is therefore electrically isolated from the LED, and a bit physically isolated too, sometimes with a transparent separator, which means there could be a large voltage between them safely.
The photo-sensor output is amplified enough to drive a relay, which can be rated at quite a high power and voltage such as a mains supply.
Simple in principle - effective in practice.

Hikv

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, your diagram looks OK, well done!
The uncertainty would be ensuring the correct polarity of the input to the opto-isolator relative to that of the NVR alarm output if it is an electronic output such as an open-collector type. Connecting the wrong way round will in this case do no harm - but the relay would not be switched. The alarm output might be helpfully labelled. If it's a relay output, polarity will not matter.
An opto-isolator is a good solution for when a low voltage circuit needs to control a high-voltage or high-power circuit and it could be hazardous if they were directly connected, especially if there is a large voltage difference between them.
As the name implies - it is light that provides the communication link across the barrier.

They work something like this:
The low-power device such as an alarm output, which has a very limited voltage and current rating, is used to switch on or off a current that flows through an LED. This can be done with a few mA or 10's of mA switching up to say 12v.
The LED shines on a photo-sensor, which is therefore electrically isolated from the LED, and a bit physically isolated too, sometimes with a transparent separator, which means there could be a large voltage between them safely.
The photo-sensor output is amplified enough to drive a relay, which can be rated at quite a high power and voltage such as a mains supply.
Simple in principle - effective in practice.
Again thanks! Really clear!

So I have one last question...
If it's an open collector (as we are supposing?)... How I have to connect the red wire to opto-isolator fron psu and nvr?

Better explaination: based on the image from amazon of the optoisolator...
Side-A
61LaWH7KehL._SL1447_.jpg
Side-B
61R7KydVJxL._SL1100_.jpg

So , in my ideas...; I think that Side-A is the side to connect with PSU/Siren??... And if it's correct, the red wire (+) from PSU (12v) will go to the "IN" port... and another red wire (+) goes from the "DC+" ports to the siren... "DC-" won't be used...

For the Side-B; I have to place another red wire (+) from the "NO" Ports of the opto-isolator to the "I" port of the "Alarm Output" and another red wire (+) from "G" port of the alarm output to the "Com" port on the opto-isolator.... ??? NC won't be used...

Probably this is totally wrong... so if you can post again a simple way to connect everything, will be really appreciated!

P.s. I can't take a photo of the ports behind my nvr :mad-new:, I'm in another house! And' I cant remember what there is under "Alarm Output"
Ps.2 Sorry for my bad english :(
P.S.3 Edit, I have found a photo of the back of my NVR! I have "1" and "G" under alarm output (I think G is like com??)
ds-7608ni-i2_8p_1.png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
No - your connections above are wrong I'm afraid.

Here is a summary in text form.
The side A, with DC+, DC- and In.
' DC+' wired to the positive feed from the 12v power supply. 'DC-' wired to the negative feed of the 12v power supply. 'DC-' also wired to the 'G' terminal of the NVR alarm output. 'In' wired to the '1' terminal of the NVR alarm out.

The side B, with NO, COM, NC
'NO' (Normally Open) to Siren. I'm assuming siren doesn't have a + and - and can be wired either way round. 'COM' (Common) wired to the positive feed of the 12v power supply. The other wire of the Siren wired to the negative feed of the power supply. 'NC' (Normally Closed) is not required.

The jumper on the relay board will need to be set depending on whether the alarm output of the NVR is 'active low' or 'active high'. It may be that the NVR can also change the mode of the alarm out to be active low or active high.

I hope that's clear. And maybe others can cast an eye over it to validate it.

*edit* And a couple of thoughts that occurred after I re-read the post.
The assumption is that the relay board must be powered with 12v. The product description isn't clear on that - but it will come with specifications and instructions.
I'm also assuming that your siren is 12v, judging from your first post, though not explicitly stated.

Hikv

n3wb
Reaction score
No - your connections above are wrong I'm afraid.

Here is a summary in text form.
The side A, with DC+, DC- and In.
' DC+' wired to the positive feed from the 12v power supply. 'DC-' wired to the negative feed of the 12v power supply. 'DC-' also wired to the 'G' terminal of the NVR alarm output. 'In' wired to the '1' terminal of the NVR alarm out.

The side B, with NO, COM, NC
'NO' (Normally Open) to Siren. I'm assuming siren doesn't have a + and - and can be wired either way round. 'COM' (Common) wired to the positive feed of the 12v power supply. The other wire of the Siren wired to the negative feed of the power supply. 'NC' (Normally Closed) is not required.

The jumper on the relay board will need to be set depending on whether the alarm output of the NVR is 'active low' or 'active high'. It may be that the NVR can also change the mode of the alarm out to be active low or active high.

I hope that's clear. And maybe others can cast an eye over it to validate it.

*edit* And a couple of thoughts that occurred after I re-read the post.
The assumption is that the relay board must be powered with 12v. The product description isn't clear on that - but it will come with specifications and instructions.
I'm also assuming that your siren is 12v, judging from your first post, though not explicitly stated.
Thanks again! You are a good teacher! :)

Yes, I will buy a 12v piezo siren (only with positive and negative)... like this
For the power supply 12V, If it's possible (read later) I want to buy something with enough power like 10A.
For the opto-isolator, I have found the same you suggested on ebay, from UK seller!

So, following your guide, I have made another visual scheme (yep, I love it to make no errors!)

connection.jpg

Tell me, If everything is correct... :love:

And also, another Idea... Can I connect for example another 2 Led Lamps (30w each one) to be armed in the same time with the siren??
I think I can connect again the "(+)" of the lamps to the "NO" of the opto-isolator and the "(-)" of the lamps to the negative of the Psu (like the siren...)
Is that ok??

Really thanks again, and happy weekend!

P.S. Example for the lights

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That diagram looks OK to me.
I think I can connect again the "(+)" of the lamps to the "NO" of the opto-isolator and the "(-)" of the lamps to the negative of the Psu (like the siren...)
That should be OK as well.

Hikv

n3wb
Reaction score
Perfect. I will buy now everything, and when I will receive it, I will make a try!
I will update the thred in the next weeks, thanks again!

Hikv

n3wb
Reaction score
That diagram looks OK to me.

That should be OK as well.
My friend, I have again another idea...

In the same house with the Videosurvailance sistem, there is already a working alarm sistem....
I have on the alarm sistem, 1 Input and 1 com free... I'm using normal Pir sensor in the house, N.C.

Can I connect the alarm output of NVR to one Input/Com of my alarm system (like a pir sensor, N.C. or N.O.?) Will does it work???

If it's possible, I have to connect 1 of NVR to Input of Alarm System and G of NVR to Com of alarm system???
And I have to set it in N.O or N.C ???
Cattura.JPG

Thanks

P.s. I'm imaging this: Event like losing video signal on NVR ---> Activate alarm output ---> Signal to Alarm system (IN-COM) ---> Syren + call + sms from the system (for example I will call this entrance: manomission video)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Can I connect the alarm output of NVR to one Input/Com of my alarm system (like a pir sensor, N.C. or N.O.?) Will does it work???
There is a good chance that will work OK. And I don't think that damage will occur if it does not. A domestic internal PIR normally has an uncommitted, ie separated, relay type of output. Unlike a PIR on an external security light.
But to be sure, ideally the specifications for the alarm system input should be checked. And ideally the alarm output of the NVR, if Hikvision respond to the query.

Hikv

n3wb
Reaction score
There is a good chance that will work OK. And I don't think that damage will occur if it does not. A domestic internal PIR normally has an uncommitted, ie separated, relay type of output. Unlike a PIR on an external security light.
But to be sure, ideally the specifications for the alarm system input should be checked. And ideally the alarm output of the NVR, if Hikvision respond to the query.
Ok, I will test in this way before the way with optoisolator + siren and psu!
Thanks again. really!

Hikv

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello my friend!

I'm back with WONDERFUL NEWS.

In this month I'had directly a contact with Hikvision Italian Support and they say that the alarm output of this NVR (probably of all Hikvision NVR) is a simple N.O. connection (Ground and 1).

Today I have connected the NVR to the allarm system and everything works fine! :saturn:

I have simply connected the "G" from the alarm output of nvr to a "COM" (negative) of the alarm system; and the "1" of the alarm output of NVR to one free entrance "ING" (in my alarm system).
Finally I have configured this entrance in the alarm system as a N.O. (normally open!)

And that's all!
Thanks again Mr. Alastairstevenson

D!ngo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello my friend!

In this month I'had directly a contact with Hikvision Italian Support and they say that the alarm output of this NVR (probably of all Hikvision NVR) is a simple N.O. connection (Ground and 1).

Today I have connected the NVR to the allarm system and everything works fine! :saturn:

I have simply connected the "G" from the alarm output of nvr to a "COM" (negative) of the alarm system; and the "1" of the alarm output of NVR to one free entrance "ING" (in my alarm system).
Finally I have configured this entrance in the alarm system as a N.O. (normally open!)

And that's all!
I was thinking of doing the same with my system when I have it up and running within the next couple of weeks.
Thanks @Hikv for sharing your result and @alastairstevenson for your inputs.

Gatozzzz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello my friend!

And that's all!
Im trying to do the same as you but i dont understand how its Work. Wich event needs to happened with your alarm to send and entrance on dvr and you get your camera image?

GLO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there also a way to remotely activate this trigger? Via mobile?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

KamirZG

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HI guys. HIKVISION NVR/DVR alarm output can handle 36V and 2A. So you don't need and isolators. This is checked with their technical support.

And yes, you can activate alarm output via hik-connect app.

1588660790027.png

Right bottom button is alarm output button ( you get access to that button when you go to live view ).

Reactions: GLO

GLO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

Is that enough to power a house siren? Or just the trigger?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk