Alarm systems

Kendive

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an Ademco Vista 20p panel and installed and programmed myself in the house we own now. This house is payed for and we have bought another house and looking at different systems to install in the new home.

Do you all know anything about this system?

Thanks...

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I know nothing about Abode other than a quick glance to see that it's a WiFi system. If you had a 20P I'd assume it was a wired system If so and you installed it, just do the same thing in the new digs. Nothing beats a hard wired alarm system!

Kendive

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know nothing about Abode other than a quick glance to see that it's a WiFi system. If you had a 20P I'd assume it was a wired system If so and you installed it, just do the same thing in the new digs. Nothing beats a hard wired alarm system!
Yes this is true and yes I installed it myself. I was just looking at other ways. I already will be running all new cat 6 for my 32 ch dahua NVR and cameras.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Run the alarm wire while you're at it. You won't be sorry. WiFi can be defeated far too easily to consider it good security, better than nothing, yes, but not good.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use a hardwired alarm system. I installed my own system, years ago, door alarms, window alarms, break glass sensors, also inside motion detector. I have outside alarm sirens, mounted inside the house. I have a land line that is used for monitoring. I may need to upgrade that to a cell system one day. It is a Honeywell alarm. I would install a similar system again, but may have someone to pull the wires this time.

Any wifi system can be jammed.

Kendive

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Use a hardwired alarm system. I installed my own system, years ago, door alarms, window alarms, break glass sensors, also inside motion detector. I have outside alarm sirens, mounted inside the house. I have a land line that is used for monitoring. I may need to upgrade that to a cell system one day. It is a Honeywell alarm. I would install a similar system again, but may have someone to pull the wires this time.

Any wifi system can be jammed.
Yea I agree probably will go the same way I did here. I have a wireless dialer. I would never use a hard line for monitoring.

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi

if wireless is a requirement, I recommend Risco Lightsys. Its hybrid but also using 868Mhz with jamming detection as well as 2 way comms for system health checks. I have installed many of these with great success as it has a cloud based self monitoring app as well.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

GH75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Plenty of quality wireless systems that dont run on Wi Fi.

Keep in mind drilling through window sills ir into window frames could void window warranty

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Drilling into a window frame could void a warranty, the frame of the window itself, but drilling into the trim around it wouldn't. With stick-on contacts the only hole needed is a hole trough the top and bottom sills, assuming a double hung window, and that is part of the structure of the house.

Jamming detection is nice, but it only tells you something was jammed, not who, what or why.

The simplest solution is to not use anything that shows, outwardly, that there is an alarm present in the first place.