Alert on en/dis-able, pause/unpause, or select/deselect

chartley

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there any way to set an alert, or run a script, or make an HTTP call when a specific camera is enabled/disabled, or paused/un-paused, or selected/deselected?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any way to set an alert, or run a script, or make an HTTP call when a specific camera is enabled/disabled, or paused/un-paused, or selected/deselected?
Welcome to the forum..what are you trying to accomplish with this?

chartley

n3wb
Reaction score
I have had a number of different purposes for which I have sought this functionality; at current, I am wanting it in order to activate a smart light whenever a specific camera is enabled/selected or disabled/deselected (pause/unpause is not quite as on the nose for my needs, but would also work)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have had a number of different purposes for which I have sought this functionality; at current, I am wanting it in order to activate a smart light whenever a specific camera is enabled/selected or disabled/deselected (pause/unpause is not quite as on the nose for my needs, but would also work)
I dont believe this can be done...email support and ask for the feature

chartley

n3wb
Reaction score
Very disheartening to hear, but thanks for the second opinion. At least now I can stop banging my head against the wall, trying to figure out how to do this :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Very disheartening to hear, but thanks for the second opinion. At least now I can stop banging my head against the wall, trying to figure out how to do this :)
Disheartening? you need to understand that this is a special use case...its not a feature that should be expected.

chartley

n3wb
Reaction score
In and of itself, the ability to be alerted when a camera is enabled or disabled (especially if there is more than 1 administrator) is not a far reaching expectation.
Regardless, the lack of expectation for a feature does not diminish the disappointment at finding that a functionality you desire is not yet available. To say that it makes me sad is not to say that there was arbitrarily any error on the part of the designer, it is merely to say that it makes me sad. Perhaps, having posed the question to the developer, the functionality will be added in a later release and my 'frown will be turned upside down.' :)
If not, it's all good. I have always been quite satisfied with BI. I would no sooner criticize it for features I would like that it does not possess than I would criticize my car for not flying.

I appreciate your input, fendeman.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In and of itself, the ability to be alerted when a camera is enabled or disabled (especially if there is more than 1 administrator) is not a far reaching expectation.
Regardless, the lack of expectation for a feature does not diminish the disappointment at finding that a functionality you desire is not yet available. To say that it makes me sad is not to say that there was arbitrarily any error on the part of the designer, it is merely to say that it makes me sad. Perhaps, having posed the question to the developer, the functionality will be added in a later release and my 'frown will be turned upside down.' :)
If not, it's all good. I have always been quite satisfied with BI. I would no sooner criticize it for features I would like that it does not possess than I would criticize my car for not flying.

I appreciate your input, fendeman.
It is a far reaching expectation...I have not seen that on any other vms. Why would someone else be enabling and disabling cameras? Again, you are asking for a specialized function that would be used by very few...good luck getting it added.

chartley

n3wb
Reaction score
Gotta say, not sure why this merits repeated incredulous remarks, but; occasionally, those with direct access to a security component (such as cameras), will disable said component in order to prevent being identified as they are doing something wrong (theft or vandalism, for example). In such A case, alerts or logs are helpful in identifying the guilty party.
I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THE LACK OF THIS FEATURE, JUST THAT I HAD HOPED IT WAS POSSIBLE.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Gotta say, not sure why this merits repeated incredulous remarks, but; occasionally, those with direct access to a security component (such as cameras), will disable said component in order to prevent being identified as they are doing something wrong (theft or vandalism, for example). In such A case, alerts or logs are helpful in identifying the guilty party.
I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THE LACK OF THIS FEATURE, JUST THAT I HAD HOPED IT WAS POSSIBLE.
So you have given someone you dont trust access to your blue iris pc? That's pretty dumb. All they need to do is delete the clip from the storage folder...Your comments suggested more than mere hope that it was possible..

chartley

n3wb
Reaction score
Geez. What's dumb is being pointlessly confrontational. Have you ever worked in a retail or entertainment venue where numerous managers and assistant managers had access to security cameras and associated recording equipment? I apologize if my disappointment struck a personal chord with you. I am done with this line of discussion.
I remain sincerely appreciative of your initial response/assistance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Geez. What's dumb is being pointlessly confrontational. Have you ever worked in a retail or entertainment venue where numerous managers and assistant managers had access to security cameras and associated recording equipment? I apologize if my disappointment struck a personal chord with you. I am done with this line of discussion.
I remain sincerely appreciative of your initial response/assistance.
No they should never have access to the equipment if you cannot trust them as I have stated. All they would have to do is turn off the equipment, "oops, there was an outage"..you are not thinking clearly. My problem with your comments is that you are over dramatic and imply that these should be standard features on a 60 dollar software package."Very disheartening to hear" Get real.