Alerts vs. Clips

Jason R

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know this has been covered before, but I'm still a little hazy after reading the manual. Can someone clarify?

On the webviewer:
1) There are "Clips" which appear to be full-disclosure - i.e. each clip is the full hour of recording from that camera.

2) There are "alerts" which are 1-2 minute clips during motion triggers.

In blue iris options-> clips/archiving:
1) There is a folder "new"
2) There is a folder "stored"
3) This is a folder "alerts"

Questions:
1) Are "clips" stored in folder new, and then moved to folder "stored" when space runs out?

2) Are webpage "alerts" stored in folder "alerts" and then moved to folder "stored" when space runs out?

3) Are webpage "alerts" separate clips, or just database marks that point to time points inside the full-disclosure "clips" files?

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know this has been covered before, but I'm still a little hazy after reading the manual. Can someone clarify?

On the webviewer:
1) There are "Clips" which appear to be full-disclosure - i.e. each clip is the full hour of recording from that camera.

2) There are "alerts" which are 1-2 minute clips during motion triggers.

In blue iris options-> clips/archiving:
1) There is a folder "new"
2) There is a folder "stored"
3) This is a folder "alerts"

Questions:
1) Are "clips" stored in folder new, and then moved to folder "stored" when space runs out?

2) Are webpage "alerts" stored in folder "alerts" and then moved to folder "stored" when space runs out?

3) Are webpage "alerts" separate clips, or just database marks that point to time points inside the full-disclosure "clips" files?

Thanks!
alerts are nothing but pointers to locations in the clips...nothing is recorded or saved twice.
movement between folders is entirely up to you..you dont have to move it at all..see help file and video tutorial.
nothing is stored in the alert folder other than jpeg images ONLY if you select to store hi res jpeg images of alerts which is off by default and not needed.

Jason R

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, why then would it be I can only go back ~48 hrs to look at "alerts" on the webviewer but I can go back weeks to look at "clips"?

It seems if alerts are just pointers I should be able to go back as far as I have clips?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, why then would it be I can only go back ~48 hrs to look at "alerts" on the webviewer but I can go back weeks to look at "clips"?

It seems if alerts are just pointers I should be able to go back as far as I have clips?
because those pointers are being deleted...uncheck the day limit for the alert folder (even though nothing is being stored there).

Jason R

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The "limit clip age" in the alerts folder is unchecked.

I can even see on the timeline on the bottom that the motion alerts only go back abut 48 hrs, then it's just solid blue before that (clip only, no motion triggers)

Is it possible when the clips are moved from the new folder to the stored folder they lose the alert link?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The "limit clip age" in the alerts folder is unchecked.

I can even see on the timeline on the bottom that the motion alerts only go back abut 48 hrs, then it's just solid blue before that (clip only, no motion triggers)

Is it possible when the clips are moved from the new folder to the stored folder they lose the alert link?
have you rebuilt or deleted the database? that would cause the alerts to disappear.
I dont think that moving it has an effect, though I keep all my clips in the new folder, its pointless to move it unless its another drive.

Jason R

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there any other way to utilize more than one drive other than have new on one drive and stored on a second?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any other way to utilize more than one drive other than have new on one drive and stored on a second?
yes. A much better way to do it would be to record some of your cameras to one drive and some to the other using the aux folder options.

Jason R

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah. Ok - so for my 3 HDDs, I'll get rid of the "stored" folder, just have some cameras to "new" on HDD1 and others to AUX1 on HDD2 and other to AUX2 on HDD3, and set them all to just delete when full. And I can set my alert folder to be very tiny since I don't save JPGs. Sound right?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah. Ok - so for my 3 HDDs, I'll get rid of the "stored" folder, just have some cameras to "new" on HDD1 and others to AUX1 on HDD2 and other to AUX2 on HDD3, and set them all to just delete when full. And I can set my alert folder to be very tiny since I don't save JPGs. Sound right?
exactly...this will provide some level of redundancy in the even of a drive failure (though rare)...