Aliexpress disaster

RDC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Seller sent me the wrong camera.

I opened a dispute. Sellers English was appalling and made no sense. I eventually gave up and tried to offer that I would accept $30 refund or return it for a full refund.

The website took this the wrong way and now it is showing i have to return the item AND I will only get $30 back. This is not what i meant to say, I obviously clicked wrongly.

I'm now screwed. I contacted aliexpress support to try and reverse it, but they dont want to know and say that is what i agreed to so that is what is going to happen.

I am not happy. To make it worse seller is gloating and won't cancel it.

A lesson to others be careful what you click/enter when going through the dispute process.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seller sent me the wrong camera.

I opened a dispute. Sellers English was appalling and made no sense. I eventually gave up and tried to offer that I would accept $30 refund or return it for a full refund.

The website took this the wrong way and now it is showing i have to return the item AND I will only get $30 back. This is not what i meant to say, I obviously clicked wrongly.

I'm now screwed. I contacted aliexpress support to try and reverse it, but they dont want to know and say that is what i agreed to so that is what is going to happen.

I am not happy. To make it worse seller is gloating and won't cancel it.

A lesson to others be careful what you click/enter when going through the dispute process.
I also bet you cannot leave any negative feedback, either...right? Please post the seller's name here. :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you paid by credit card open a dispute with the card company.

RDC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I used American Express so am going to open a dispute with them. My only concern is that no doubt Aliexpress will dispute it saying i agreed.

Seller was one ive not used before - (removed until after amex have investigated). I should have stuck to the normal trusted aliexpress stores. Seller won't cancel it. I just keeping getting a NO reply. They cant believe their luck. I feel like such an idiot.

And no it wont let me leave feedback :(

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Most credit card companies side with the customer. Amex will almost certainly refund your money..they are very good that way.
Thanks for posing the name. Now we know who not to use. Sent them a link to this thread so that they know the word is out.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
[MENTION][/MENTION]
IIRC, this was after filing and losing a dispute with Paypal vs. Aliexpress, buyer went ahead and did a chargeback, and his account was canceled. YMMV.
It may have been that the user didn't go through paypals dispute process first, who knows. Regardless, that is way its always best to just use your credit card with ali....a good card, that provides extended warranties, return protection etc...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@RDC, out of curiosity, what did you order and what was sent to you?

Last edited by a moderator:

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Very curious which seller it was, because I want to avoid doing business with them. Mistakes can happen ... but at least make it right or sort something out!

I'm also surprised that aliexpress offered no help. Does Ali have a phone number you can contact them on? Rather than trying some automated thing ...

I have ordered another camera from Julia Li / CCTV earlier. I told her I ordered again from them because it was a good prior transaction, etc while indicating there seems to be some price competition undercutting. Who knows maybe they'll do some price adjustments too on their less popular products. Anyway. While looking at some other products, I didn't quite like the wording and next to no feedback for some of the other stores. (hate one word feedback akin: great, excellent, ...)

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Hopefully you can get it sorted out.

Please keep us posted on your progress with this. Good luck!

And please, do share the seller info. Even if by PM, if you want to withhold it from the public for the time being.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It might be a good idea to start a thread with known GOOD AliExpress sellers, at least as far as we can gather, as their 'feedback' system is no where near as accurate as we're accustomed to on eBay.

The "escalate dispute" section clearly suggests partial refunds are suitable resolutions, but a case shouldn't be 'closed' until all parties are agreed (in my book). :)
http://help.aliexpress.com/file_claim.html

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I clicked around aliexpress some. Did not find a phone number. Did see a chat line and also the thing alpha wave mentions regarding filing a claim and escalating a dispute.

A user error / missed click / website glitch shouldn't be absolute resolution / case closed.

Can only suggest to try again tomorrow and maybe try to get through to somebody else. Whether the owner of that shop or another, more understanding aliexpress representative. I was going to say tomorrow morning, but it is already Monday AM in CN, so maybe in a few hours.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Who do you normally use for your camera purchases?

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You really have no recourse if the seller has agreed to give you a refund if you return the camera, so return it. You also have no recourse with AliExpress, PayPal or the credit card company if the merchant has agreed to refund if you ship it back. Per PayPal policy, buyer pays return shipping, you must ship it back with tracking and make sure you get signature required.

They side with the buyer only if the seller refuses to provide a refund if returned.

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hope you get your money back or the correct camera, dealing with China is not easy.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hope you get your money back or the correct camera, dealing with China is not easy.
Dealing with China is very easy, have been buying directly in China for many years. If you have a defective camera, wrong product, I've never had them say no to a full refund if I ship it back. It's just that there's an attitude from people outside China that if there's a problem, the seller should pay return shipping from a foreign country. I feel their pain. I sold a camera to a guy in Australia even though I put "U.S. only" in my eBay auction. But he found a way to use a re-shipper to buy the camera anyway. The camera was damaged in shipping, he opened a PayPal dispute, I quickly went to the resolution center and said I'll gladly refund the money when he ships the camera back. But we wants me to pay over $120 for return shipping, why should I? I would gladly pay the $11 for return shipping in the U.S. even though it's not required, but not from Australia. PayPal closed the case, sellers favor for offering to take it back.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You really have no recourse if the seller has agreed to give you a refund if you return the camera, so return it. You also have no recourse with AliExpress, PayPal or the credit card company if the merchant has agreed to refund if you ship it back. Per PayPal policy, buyer pays return shipping, you must ship it back with tracking and make sure you get signature required.

They side with the buyer only if the seller refuses to provide a refund if returned.
That is the case here, they want him to return the camera and only refund 30 dollars of the cost...would cost more to ship it back then 30 dollars.

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If worse comes to worst you might as well use the camera even if its the wrong one...or resell it for more than $30.

What ended up happening with the Australian guy? did he return it to you on his own dime for shipping?

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From what I read, the OP at the very top of the post was offered to either return the camera for a FULL refund or keep the camera and they will refund $30. My understanding is he inadvertently accepted the $30, but honestly, that's what I would have taken and then sold the camera I didn't want on eBay, after all, he went through all this to save a few bucks, now he has a camera at $30 cheaper, why couldn't he sell it on eBay, maybe turn a profit?