Almost cracked it! But need help to fix and finish please!

ChrisRR

n3wb
Reaction score
New kid on the block here so please bear with me! Briefly: Apple router died of old age, replaced with new one - lost CCTV - as you do! Couldn't get hold of any CCTV guys to take the job on so I undertook to have a go myself. I have managed to get to the point (after so many hours!) where I can now see all 4 cam views on my iPhone both on internal WiFi and on 4G so I assume I've cracked the tricky bit of being able to view away from the house. Not been out for 3 days so don't know 100% if this is true. I run Apple Macs which prior to router death were fine and I was able to view cams on them using iVMS4200. After hours of fiddling I have now been able to see the view from all cams in iVMS BUT only through the settings; "Remote Configuration". I can't see anything in "Main View". I have probably stumbled my way to this point by guessing each step and I guess some steps were wrong as I hadn't a clue what the hell I was doing. I assume the program might have picked up remnant settings prior to the disaster and through luck I am able to see the cam views in that setting? Or I made some lucky guesses? What I need help with is what I need to do - perhaps from scratch - to bring/import/setup the system so that I can get back to normal. When I open up iVMS now, I get the setup wizard which is where I think is my problem. I literally need a wizard to sort me out! So, in summary, I can see what there is to see on my iPhone and I get all 4 cams and I can play back recordings etc. It's just on the main iVMS where I'm having issues. I've done work inside the router opening ports (8000) but again, I'm not 100% I've done everything I need to do in there, but would love to learn and reunite with my family, my job, and Earth. Apologies for the long post! Cheers, Chris.

ChrisRR

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for that - I'm just trying to work out how to open that one in the Airport Extreme router as I type. I have entered an extra port '554' and have restarted the thing. I'll report back with any news. Thanks again.

ChrisRR

n3wb
Reaction score
YESSSS!!!!! IT'S WORKED! You're a star! I am so chucking fuffed I've managed to get it all back on (only taken 3 bloody days!). Brilliant, thank you so mucking fuch. Really appreciate your help. Take the rest of the week off mate. Cheers! Chris

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you forward ports and expose your cameras to the internet, it's pretty much guaranteed that your cameras will eventually get hacked and/or bricked.

ChrisRR

n3wb
Reaction score
OK - thanks for that. What do I need to do to prevent that then? As I'm new to this, I understood that if I want to be able to see what the cameras see when I'm away from home, I need to set up port forwarding?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK - thanks for that. What do I need to do to prevent that then? As I'm new to this, I understood that if I want to be able to see what the cameras see when I'm away from home, I need to set up port forwarding?
A secure method of accessing your network remotely. Options include: setting up a vpn server (on your router is easiest if it's supported), hamachi, ngrok...

ChrisRR

n3wb
Reaction score
OK thank you - understood. I very rarely use the internet web interface with the system I have - I just used that as a way of checking that it would still work when I am away from the house. What I do use a lot is the iPhone app when I'm away. What I can do, now I have it all running well, is to only use the Mac application set to the internal IP address of 192.168.1.xx etc. Or am I farting up the wrong gum tree here? In any case, I appreciate the advice and I'm grateful for your time. I just now need to know how I get the display of playback to show little spikes of activity rather than a sold, 12-hour line of recorded nothingness that I have to scrub through to see what went on... Any help in that regard would be brilliant. ;-)