Alternative to the Blue Iris mobile app

FLGator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

Is there any alternative to the Blue Iris mobile app? I see it is $10 but also the complaints are huge, and very low rating. I need an app for my phone to see the cameras (when I get some and set them up) and get alerts\snapshots.

Thanks in advance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use the native UI3 that is free and part of BI.

Simply open a web browser and type in the IP address of your BI computer followed by :80 or :81 or whatever your port number is.

BTW there is nothing wrong with the BI app - the complaints are user errors such as not understanding what IP address to type into the app.

I have both the paid app and UI3 and use UI3 99.9% of the time.

But for most, the only reason to buy the app would be for cameras with two-way talk and push notifications.

I have two way talk cameras and used the BI push for awhile but found the Pushover app to be better as the BI app would need either forwarded ports or VPN on while away to get the image with the push. Pushover app sends images regardless of whether connected to VPN or not.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is there any alternative to the Blue Iris mobile app? I see it is $10 but also the complaints are huge, and very low rating. I need an app for my phone to see the cameras (when I get some and set them up) and get alerts\snapshots.

Thanks in advance.
The app works just fine. Most of the complaints are from inept users. Its You can also simply use your phones web browser to log in to ui3 for free - however you will not get alerts. The mobile app will give you alerts however if you are using a vpn and not connected to it you wont get an alert image. If you dont want to use the mobile app and want alerts you have several options - text message, email and pushover. Pushover is by far the best, fastest and most reliable. Search for the threads on how to set it up.

FLGator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you, guys. I am using a VPN. So I just need to configure everything (Alerts and how to send) in the BI server, then once connected via VPN from mobile, I just browse to the server IP:port and I'll see all my cameras? Once I have some. I just ordered a 5442 ZE and 5441Z12E based on your (Wittaj) post The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes that is correct. I love how UI3 tiles them all up on one screen. With the BI app, I have to scroll down.

Each serves a purpose and each has their pros and cons, but most probably favor UI3.

Awesome choices on your camera selections! We cannot wait to see them in action and help you out if needed setting them up!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have no issue's using the BI app, nor does my wife, it's what we use most.
You can have all the cameras on the same screen with the app as well when configured correctly.
I agree, the reviews are from those that didn't bother to read the instructions in a lot of those case's.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have no issue's using the BI app, nor does my wife, it's what we use most.
You can have all the cameras on the same screen with the app as well when configured correctly.
I agree, the reviews are from those that didn't bother to read the instructions in a lot of those case's.
+1^^^...ditto from me. :cool:

FLGator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I love this site and all the help so quickly. I wish I found you all prior to the hours and months with The Hook up. I like the guys presentations but it sounds like he needs a bit more details in them.

Those camera selections are all you wittaj and the videos the Wildcat_1 did. Thank you!

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just a FYI, I just added Pushover (Android), the app gives you the full version for 30 days and if you like it and want to keep the functionality you can pay at the 30 day mark, don't recall the price, $5 I believe. I will be paying when the 30 day time limit comes.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I love this site and all the help so quickly. I wish I found you all prior to the hours and months with The Hook up. I like the guys presentations but it sounds like he needs a bit more details in them.

Those camera selections are all you wittaj and the videos the Wildcat_1 did. Thank you!
Many people here share your experiences lol. The hookup is definitely getting better and I think he is looking at this site and has improved because of it, but it is clear he sells more reolinks than anything so he isn't going to completely dismiss them either.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just a FYI, I just added Pushover (Android), the app gives you the full version for 30 days and if you like it and want to keep the functionality you can pay at the 30 day mark, don't recall the price, $5 I believe. I will be paying when the 30 day time limit comes.
Same here.....happy Pushover user for 4 months now.:cool:

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
My entire family use the BI app including my wife who finds it so simple to use that she’s never really asked me “how do I do this?” With me having to show her the same thing for the umpteenth time.

There have been a few problems with it but a quick support ticket and an update fixes the issue.