alternatives to BI for webcasting

LambWatch

n3wb
Reaction score
I am really only using Blue Iris for it's HTTP webcasting functionality (Windows Media) but am really struggling to get a reliable and stable webcast (it lasts for only about 5 to 10 minutes before freezing).

I want to stream my IP cameras via Webcams Streaming Live & Free on Camstreams and their broadcasting software doesnt natively support RTSP.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Cheers

DAniel

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have to "push" a stream to them, then I recommend trying ffmpeg or VLC. Neither will be particularly easy to set up but they should both work.

LambWatch

n3wb
Reaction score
Camstreams "pull" a HTTP stream I think on a port you specify. It's not a push platform. So it only consumes bandwidth when somebody actually tunes in.

I am wanting to webcast my RTSP IP camera at the URL LambWatch Channel 2 - a Webcam in Earby, Lancashire, UK, Streaming on Camstreams

BI only succeeds in webcasting audio and video for between 5 and 10 mins and then the video stops but audio continues. If left for much longer, the actual camera on BI refuses to restart.

Pretty sure it's a bug with BI :(

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It does sound like a bug with BI.

I recommend VLC media player then, as it should be able to act as the streaming server for camstreams to connect to. FFmpeg is not as easy of a solution, as its streaming server is for linux only.

Here is a thread I wrote that demonstrates how to run VLC from the command line to make it consume an rtsp stream and host it via http. In my example it is transcoding the video though this is probably unnecessary for you. You can also set up the stream using VLC's GUI which is likely easier. http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?1395-How-to-Use-VLC-to-transcode-IP-video-to-an-HTML5-compatible-format

Last edited:

LambWatch

n3wb
Reaction score
I've had a go with VideoLAN stream but got a bit confused. Ideally I do want to use Windows Media Video 9 codec for the video and windows media audio 9.2 for the audio.

I can't see those options for codecs in the VideoLAN profile options.

Camstreams themselves have an encoder which works really well for non-IP cameras. It makes the encoding process a breeze. It's just it doesn't support IP cameras very well so I am trying to achieve the same thing that their encoder achieves for my IP camera.

Here's a link to their encoder

Download and set up the Camstreams Encoder or Windows Media Encoder.

If I can achieve this with VideoLAN, that would be great, but I can't see much sign of Windows Media codecs in video LAN. :(

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No idea, as I've never used the windows media encoding stuff. Maybe something extra needs downloaded from Microsoft and installed.

LambWatch

n3wb
Reaction score
Ooh exciting! If this fixes the problem I will be well chuffed and must arrange for some beer tokens for Mr Blue Iris.