Am I expecting or asking for too much from an IP Camera?

Aristotle

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

How are ya'll doing today. I've just joined the site, and this is my very first post. Please go easy, as i am really new to all of this.
I've previously owned a Foscam IP camera (yea i know most will feel pity on me about this), I've owned a Nest IP cam, and returned it.

One the the major constraints i've had with these two security cams are that the resolution though looks ok when things are bright, but barely one can identify faces, or get crystal clear image resolution.
I am currently seeking for two IP cams, one of them goes into my garage, and the other indoor in my living room mainly for security reasons, aiming at the door.
Here are the few things i am seeking in this this cam.

1. Great wtih Indoor ambient light.
2. Not dome, but something that can be mounted. If ya'll are suggesting a dome cam, can i invert the video? I cannot mount this on the wall, instead will have to place it over the fireplace.
3. Pan, and tilt, 360 degrees be awesome.
4. Greater MegaPixel, does that even matter, would it make sense that a greater megapixel will have better image clarity/resolution?
5. The camera moves, pans, tilts based on a human's movement. As i will be placing this camera pointing towards the door, I'd like to have the camera follow the movement of the person entering the house, though it might sound intimidating, but i dont mind.
6. Ability to record in full 1080p or higher (is ok), on a NAS.
7. Be great if it has remote viewing. (this is last on the list, and not that imp).

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your not asking to much at all but with the pan tilt feature your looking into paying some money. I guess the question is are you willing to pay for the features you want. I'm guessing prob over 200.00 with pan/tilt.. also WDR should help with the light problems

Last edited:

Aristotle

n3wb
Reaction score
Your not asking to much at all but with the pan tilt feature your looking into paying some money. I guess the question is are you willing to pay for the features you want. I'm guessing prob over 200.00 with pan/tilt.. also WDR should help with the light problems
Ryan thanks for your replies mate.
For a single camera, i dont mind paying 200 bucks and upwards, but not more than 350 bucks.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Aristotle

n3wb
Reaction score
This cam is great, if you want something smaller in size, then look at this: IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology

2mp is plenty.
Thanks for your recommendation looney2ns, the camera looks great, I like the small unintimidating factor of the camera.
U userself have a Dahua SD59225U-HNI Starlight. Would u still recommend the IPC-HDBW231F-AS over your model?
The one u mentioned does it have more of a fisheye based vision? I am not much of a fan of distorted barrel vision mate.
I see a lot of camera's with 4 or 5 even 12mp for similar prices by Dahua... why would one choose a 2mp over a 12mp camera?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
megapixels dont mean dick; its about photons not pixels.. If you add 4x the pixels to the sensor without making the sensor 4x as large then you reduce its light gathering capabilities by 4x or greater..

The 2MP Starlights absolutely crush everything else at night; keep reading the thread.. this been covered over and over and over again.

Dahua Starlight Mini-Dome 3.6mm (IPC-HDB4231C-AS)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The PTZ indoors may be overkill. a couple of fixed cameras is probably more useful.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for your recommendation looney2ns, the camera looks great, I like the small unintimidating factor of the camera.
U userself have a Dahua SD59225U-HNI Starlight. Would u still recommend the IPC-HDBW231F-AS over your model?
The one u mentioned does it have more of a fisheye based vision? I am not much of a fan of distorted barrel vision mate.
I see a lot of camera's with 4 or 5 even 12mp for similar prices by Dahua... why would one choose a 2mp over a 12mp camera?
the PTZ in my sig is HUGE in size for use indoors. So yes the 4231f is the better choice. If you choose the 2.8mm lense, then you "might" get some fisheye effect. I would stick with the 3.6 or even the 6mm lense for the use you describe, using to watch a door.

Go to the Dahua website for more info.

Aristotle

n3wb
Reaction score
megapixels dont mean dick; its about photons not pixels.. If you add 4x the pixels to the sensor without making the sensor 4x as large then you reduce its light gathering capabilities by 4x or greater..

The 2MP Starlights absolutely crush everything else at night; keep reading the thread.. this been covered over and over and over again.

Great, awesome response there!! Give me a reason, and i will serve you my master, and you gave it to me. Thanks!!
I am reading around a lot,i've already spent 3 hrs on the forum today, and i think i am gonna spend a lot more time here.
Lets see what you've got, gonna read the thread cover to cover on the starlight mini dome camera, does it have great daylight resoluton as well?

Aristotle

n3wb
Reaction score

The description on your camera says that its fixed lens, does it mean it doesnt follow/track the subject on their movement? Does it just point towards one side? I am looking for something that can follow the subject until they are in the area of vision, can be panned and tilted?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 3.6mm has a 90 degree FOV, put it in the corner and it can see everything in the room.. you have absolutely no need for a PTZ, its not going to follow anything unless your sitting at the controls.

Aristotle

n3wb
Reaction score
The 3.6mm has a 90 degree FOV, put it in the corner and it can see everything in the room.. you have absolutely no need for a PTZ, its not going to follow anything unless your sitting at the controls.
The reason i was looking for the PTZ feature, was for various third party softwares that works in the background on ur server, and controls the camera automatically following the subject as they come across the area.
Is sighthound one of those? Any recommendation? or they dont exist?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
just forget about it and listen to us.. you do not want or need a PTZ regardless what you currently think... gonna cost you $350+ per camera for a feature that dont work the way you think it does.. then you got a big ass, audibly loud and expensive camera with entirely the wrong optics for your environment.

your expecting a star-trek holodeck; your going to receive an 8-bit nintendo.. yes; you expect too much out of cameras because you've watched too many movies.

Aristotle

n3wb
Reaction score
just forget about it and listen to us.. you do not want or need a PTZ regardless what you currently think... gonna cost you $350+ per camera for a feature that dont work the way you think it does.. then you got a big ass, audibly loud and expensive camera with entirely the wrong optics for your environment.

your expecting a star-trek holodeck; your going to receive an 8-bit nintendo.. yes; you expect too much out of cameras because you've watched too many movies.
The model you are talking about I am surely gonna get that one, but for my garage. Its already in my aliexpress cart as we speak. But for my room, the spot i am looking to place this camera is really far away from my av rack, and other than this location there is not much i can do about it, its a small room, and at 90 degree fov, it wont serve the purpose. Its really a small townhome. Next year when we move to a bigger house i'll have multiple of these non-ptz camera's. Hopefully technology only will get better and 4k becomes cheaper..
For nw for this tight spot i really am concerned. We had a break in the neighbourhood few days back, and its already freaking my wife out. The association doesnt allow us ADT in the townhome premises.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you should have an ID of anyone inside your house by putting cameras externally on doors.. PTZ's are for watching big open areas, not tight spots.. you can get the cameras with various optical lengths; this is why the varifocal turret is suggested is it comes with a zoom motor so you can adjust the FOV to whatever you need.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The association doesnt allow us ADT in the townhome premises.
Assuming you own the property and aren't renting, I don't think they could prevent you from getting an alarm system. However the association could probably prevent you from having a big yard sign. Some HOAs have rules against/requiring approval for cameras. So for signage, stick with some small stickers on your windows / front door.

It's also worth mentioning that ADT is arguably one of the worst alarm companies out there from a value perspective. ADT == Another Dumb Technician.

Aristotle

n3wb
Reaction score
you should have an ID of anyone inside your house by putting cameras externally on doors.. PTZ's are for watching big open areas, not tight spots.. you can get the cameras with various optical lengths; this is why the varifocal turret is suggested is it comes with a zoom motor so you can adjust the FOV to whatever you need.
ok, now u have given me hopes, a reason to go and talk to my wife on how i can protect her life with my new found gizmo. I think Ill stick with the varifocal turret that was suggested earlier
IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology
or this?
lol a bit confused about the correct one.