Amazon Echo commands

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure about this yet, but 4.5.0.0 brings some new Alexa input to the table. Copied from help section:

Amazon Echo

Most Amazon Echo home automation integration requires a solution provider to establish a dedicated central web server. However, the Blue Iris model has always been private, local control without a central-server requirement--your video and system control commands never pass through a third-party server and no Internet connection is required. Therefore in order to get Amazon Echo to talk to your Blue Iris PC directly, we have had to implement this functionality via device emulation--there are a few home automation devices with which Echo can communicate directly, such as the Philips Hue lighting systems and WeMo devices, and Blue Iris will appear to Echo as one of these.

To get started, you should have your Echo and your Blue Iris PC on the same LAN. If you have multiple subnets (routers), the Echo and your PC should be configured in such a way that they are visible to each other on the network. In addition to basic control of the traffic signal icon and profile#, you may choose to add individual camera control as well--please see the Amazon Echo setting on each camera's properties pages.

Next, use the Connect to Amazon Echo button on Options/Mobile devices. This will make your PC discoverable by the Echo device via UPNP technology. You will be notified once the Echo is able to successfully connect. If you add or remove any camera from Echo control, or if your PC's LAN address changes, you should re-run this discovery step in order to find any newly added cameras. To fully remove a camera from Echo control you may need to use the Alexa app on your Smartphone. In addition, to fully remove Echo access to your Blue Iris, you should delete the user entry that's created on Options/Mobile devices.

Once discovery is successful, you're ready to issue commands to your Echo such as:

"Alexa, turn Blue Iris On" to set the traffic signal icon to yellow/green
"Alexa, turn Blue Iris Off" to set the traffic signal icon to red
"Alexa, set Blue Iris to 10%" to set profile 1
"Alexa, set Blue Iris to 50%" to set profile 5
"Alexa, set Blue Iris to 100%" to resume the normal schedule

For individual camera control (if configured on camera properties page prior to discovery), you can issue commands such as:

"Alexa, turn My Camera 1 On" to enable, pause, record, or select the camera (as configured)
"Alexa, turn My Camera 1 Off" to disable, un-pause, stop recording, or de-select the camera
"Alexa, set My Camera 1 to 10%" to move to PTZ preset 1
"Alexa, set My Camera 1 to 50%" to move to PTZ preset 5

Sure in a perfect world, we would not use percentages to control presets and profiles, this is a side-effect of the light-bulb device emulation. If Amazon opens the ASK API (Amazon Skill Kit Application Programming Interface) to further direct device control manufacturers, or if Blue Iris builds-out a full user portal website, this may change. You may also see additional HA integration, such as Hue and WeMo control directly through Blue Iris.

hltljohn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Configured this last night. Works as stated. I like the feature to select a camera (bring to full screen) with a single command (Alexa Camera1 on). The PTZ is a little odd because of the need for percentage, but it does work (Alexa set Camera1 to 40) moves to preset 4. I have Profile 7 set to start recording on all cameras, so I can tell Alexa to go to profile 7 (Alexa set blueiris to 70) and all cameras begin recording.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Wut???

Will be testing tonight

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Culmac

n3wb
Reaction score
Configured this last night. Works as stated. I like the feature to select a camera (bring to full screen) with a single command (Alexa Camera1 on). The PTZ is a little odd because of the need for percentage, but it does work (Alexa set Camera1 to 40) moves to preset 4. I have Profile 7 set to start recording on all cameras, so I can tell Alexa to go to profile 7 (Alexa set blueiris to 70) and all cameras begin recording.
Good info, I can change profiles ok but I've yet to get a camera to go full screen.
I named a camera 'camera1' (I assume the short name doesn't matter) and when I click on it in BI, it goes full screen, when I ask alexa she says 'ok' but nothing..
Any Idea what I'm missing.
Thanks
Jim

TWallace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is great news. I'll probably mostly just use this for turning on/off the traffic signal, but it's still really handy. I have the Android Blue Iris app, which is great, but it has issues with the traffic signal. I can open the app and manipulate the signal, but if I try again after waiting some time (20 minutes maybe less) I can't alter the traffic signal until I close the app and reopen it. It's been this way ever since I got the app. I have a few Echo taps, so now I can just tell Alexa to turn it on/off.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was going to try the Alexa update when it came out, but then I realized I record 24/7 and didn't know what to use it for. Sure I'll think of something ,any ideas ??

TWallace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was going to try the Alexa update when it came out, but then I realized I record 24/7 and didn't know what to use it for. Sure I'll think of something ,any ideas ??
I record 24x7, too, but I also do motion detection email alerts. I don't want those to go off when I'm out doing yard work.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I record 24x7, too, but I also do motion detection email alerts. I don't want those to go off when I'm out doing yard work.
Ah good idea, however I have a home automation setup and use pir sensors outside to alert me when someone is around.

TWallace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah good idea, however I have a home automation setup and use pir sensors outside to alert me when someone is around.
Yeah, I'd like to convert to PIR sensors for triggering alerts. Way too many false positives with image based motion detection. Getting sick of deleting all the false positive emails. Only 2 of my cameras have an alarm port, though, so I'm not sure how I'd get the rest to trigger based on PIR.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd like to convert to PIR sensors for triggering alerts. Way too many false positives with image based motion detection. Getting sick of deleting all the false positive emails. Only 2 of my cameras have an alarm port, though, so I'm not sure how I'd get the rest to trigger based on PIR.
Same here man, I'm gonna get ahold of a zwave one to try. Are you running an NVR or blue iris or what?

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Couple things, have to tried the zone based detection in bi? It actually works great, you can set it for zone crossing only and make the zones really thin so it's basically tripwire, tested this last night. Second, if you want to add PIR you can do wired ones to a sealevel device for cams with no alarm in, or PIR that has your zwave controller trigger a camera. Full disclosure, I got the URL to trigger a cam to work from a browser but not my domoticz controller, yours may be easier haha. Wired may be better I dunno, I've been playing with a zwave contact switch not all that much and the damn thing reports 80% battery already.

hltljohn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good info, I can change profiles ok but I've yet to get a camera to go full screen.
I named a camera 'camera1' (I assume the short name doesn't matter) and when I click on it in BI, it goes full screen, when I ask alexa she says 'ok' but nothing..
Any Idea what I'm missing.
Thanks
Jim
On the individual camera options/general page "Amazon Echo Control:", use the drop down and select "Select". Then the command "Alexa turn camera1 on" will select that camera and bring it full screen. Use "Alexa turn camera1 off" to return to normal view.

Reaction score
Not sure about this yet, but 4.5.0.0 brings some new Alexa input to the table. Copied from help section:

Amazon Echo

Most Amazon Echo home automation integration requires a solution provider to establish a dedicated central web server. However, the Blue Iris model has always been private, local control without a central-server requirement--your video and system control commands never pass through a third-party server and no Internet connection is required. Therefore in order to get Amazon Echo to talk to your Blue Iris PC directly, we have had to implement this functionality via device emulation--there are a few home automation devices with which Echo can communicate directly, such as the Philips Hue lighting systems and WeMo devices, and Blue Iris will appear to Echo as one of these.

To get started, you should have your Echo and your Blue Iris PC on the same LAN. If you have multiple subnets (routers), the Echo and your PC should be configured in such a way that they are visible to each other on the network. In addition to basic control of the traffic signal icon and profile#, you may choose to add individual camera control as well--please see the Amazon Echo setting on each camera's properties pages.

Next, use the Connect to Amazon Echo button on Options/Mobile devices. This will make your PC discoverable by the Echo device via UPNP technology. You will be notified once the Echo is able to successfully connect. If you add or remove any camera from Echo control, or if your PC's LAN address changes, you should re-run this discovery step in order to find any newly added cameras. To fully remove a camera from Echo control you may need to use the Alexa app on your Smartphone. In addition, to fully remove Echo access to your Blue Iris, you should delete the user entry that's created on Options/Mobile devices.

Once discovery is successful, you're ready to issue commands to your Echo such as:

"Alexa, turn Blue Iris On" to set the traffic signal icon to yellow/green
"Alexa, turn Blue Iris Off" to set the traffic signal icon to red
"Alexa, set Blue Iris to 10%" to set profile 1
"Alexa, set Blue Iris to 50%" to set profile 5
"Alexa, set Blue Iris to 100%" to resume the normal schedule

For individual camera control (if configured on camera properties page prior to discovery), you can issue commands such as:

"Alexa, turn My Camera 1 On" to enable, pause, record, or select the camera (as configured)
"Alexa, turn My Camera 1 Off" to disable, un-pause, stop recording, or de-select the camera
"Alexa, set My Camera 1 to 10%" to move to PTZ preset 1
"Alexa, set My Camera 1 to 50%" to move to PTZ preset 5

Sure in a perfect world, we would not use percentages to control presets and profiles, this is a side-effect of the light-bulb device emulation. If Amazon opens the ASK API (Amazon Skill Kit Application Programming Interface) to further direct device control manufacturers, or if Blue Iris builds-out a full user portal website, this may change. You may also see additional HA integration, such as Hue and WeMo control directly through Blue Iris.
I made a mistake and deleted the echo entry in mobile devices, how do I get it back. I exported cam setting and did a full re-install, but still no connect to echo. It did work before, so I know it works.. any suggestions.
Brian

hltljohn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The first entry in this thread has the full instructions on how to implement Amazon Echo. Select "Connect to Amazon Echo", then tell Alexa to "Discover".

Culmac

n3wb
Reaction score
Couple things, have to tried the zone based detection in bi? It actually works great, you can set it for zone crossing only and make the zones really thin so it's basically tripwire, tested this last night. Second, if you want to add PIR you can do wired ones to a sealevel device for cams with no alarm in, or PIR that has your zwave controller trigger a camera. Full disclosure, I got the URL to trigger a cam to work from a browser but not my domoticz controller, yours may be easier haha. Wired may be better I dunno, I've been playing with a zwave contact switch not all that much and the damn thing reports 80% battery already.
Not sure where you're going but I have PIR sensors (Zwave) with a 'SmartThings' hub, is there any way to use them as camera triggers in Blue Iris??

Reaction score
The first entry in this thread has the full instructions on how to implement Amazon Echo. Select "Connect to Amazon Echo", then tell Alexa to "Discover".
Yes, sir I followed it to the letter and it worked great, then yesterday for reasons I cannot explain I pressed the "remove" entry in mobile devices and I have been researching a way to get it back working. Simply "connect to echo" is not working. failed to find any devices.
thanks for the quick reply

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure where you're going but I have PIR sensors (Zwave) with a 'SmartThings' hub, is there any way to use them as camera triggers in Blue Iris??
Never used smartthings, but if it will let you send an http command when a PIR sensor is triggered then yes you can trigger cameras in blue iris, the command is:

HTML:
http://10.0.0.124/admin?camera=Kitchen&trigger&user=UsernameGoesHere&pw=*PasswordGoesHere