Amazon Package Thiefs

Natey2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hear a police report was filed. Other neighbors are looking out for the suspect.
The suspect is possibly disguised in a wig and sunglasses.

What's wrong with the video?

Sent using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hear a police report was filed. Other neighbors are looking out for the suspect.
The suspect is possibly disguised in a wig and sunglasses.

What's wrong with the video?

Sent using Tapatalk
Hi @Natey2,

Lots... let's start with

1) NO embedded date / time stamp in the video.
Notice the time stamp does not move. A defense lawyer will notice that and challenge it - with a chance the judge may toss it as evidence.

2) Resolution is actually very poor - this can be due to compression for the cloud ( to reduce bandwidth ), or just a 720 version of the camera...
( find a way to take the best video snap shoot and see if you can ID the person.. if not, then it is not good enough.. )

Note - if you want to do this properly and have a cloud dependent video doorbell product - use also a good IP PoE camera that has real WDR ( not digital WDR ).

here's what should be one of the best captures as the suspect is right in front of the camera, really it could be better - notice how fuzzy it is. ( see next post )

area651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
my GUESS would be shes not wearing a wig. Just your typical chub, grabbing packages. If I got a chance to see her in court or via the police I would say "chub" repeatedly. I believe that alone would be a bigger headf**k with her than any legal repercussion.

Keep in mind that I'm new to this but just my immediate wonder was about where she came from and where she went.

btw, I'm considered overweight myself so I'm not looking down on her b/c of any weight. It would just be a revenge stab that I bet would haunt her. lol...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Notice the following image capture. I've highlighted areas which should be more sharp and clear.

If this is an 1080P camera and using full resolution / bandwidth for an image capture - it is imho a subpar image capture device.

Check that you're using full bandwidth and getting max quality on the image capture. If it is a 720P model - consider upgrading it when BF-cyberweek deals come around. Typically Costco will have some of the better deals that will include 1 year of cloud service included.

Attachments

Natey2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd think something like this should be sufficient to ID the perpetrator. The presence of the perp on the property (if the perp does not know the homeowner) is not sufficient?
Timestamps can always be added into a video, so I guess I question how reliable that would be as evidence in court.
Sure, a 1080p or 4K UHD video/image is always preferable.
The position/location of the doorbell cam (?) looks good for this video. Where would one mount a real security cam to get similar footage/video of the perp's face at such close proximity?

Sent using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd think something like this should be sufficient to ID the perpetrator. The presence of the perp on the property (if the perp does not know the homeowner) is not sufficient?
Timestamps can always be added into a video, so I guess I question how reliable that would be as evidence in court.
The position/location of the doorbell cam (?) looks good for this video. Where would one mount a real security cam to get similar footage/video of the perp's face at such close proximity?

Sent using Tapatalk
Hi @Natey2

Q: I'd think something like this should be sufficient to ID the perpetrator. The presence of the perp on the property (if the perp does not know the homeowner) is not sufficient?
A: Nope. Too many people look close enough to each other...

Q: Timestamps can always be added into a video..
A: Nope. Nuanced - adding a time stamp to a video AFTER it has been encoded to H.264/H.265 can be detected with image analysis tools. Discovery of fraudulent time stamps will certainly be troublesome in a court of law.

note: from another member on another forum reported they had their Arlo video data thrown out of court as it did not have embedded time stamps ( Arlo uses file naming for time stamp purposes, which was unacceptable to the court as evidence )

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Sent using Tapatalk
Mounted right next to the door, at 4-5ft high, cam with a 2.8mm lens, and turned to corridor mode in this case.
Front door ID camera IPC-HDBW4231F MiniWedge
Cheaper overall than a crap ring cam.

Natey2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That 4231 looks like a dome-cam.
Specs look amazing, but mounting that visibly on the side of the entry way to the front door looks kludgy, IMO, but I suppose that's a personal preference. Almost like mounting a ham radio antenna on a car for better reception.
And if the unit is visible from the street and looks different, many HOAs will not allow it.
I thought these dome-cams were installed at the ceiling level in obscure places.
Doorbell, door peep-hole, etc cams looks more aesthetic and blend in with the scheme of things, IMO.

Sent using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Specs look amazing, but mounting that visibly on the side of the entry way to the front door looks kludgy, IMO, but I suppose that's a personal preference. Almost like mounting a ham radio antenna on a car for better reception.
And if the unit is visible from the street and looks different, many HOAs will not allow it.
I thought these dome-cams were installed at the ceiling level in obscure places.
Doorbell, door peep-hole, etc cams looks more aesthetic and blend in with the scheme of things, IMO.

Sent using Tapatalk
HOAs are problematic. We've had numerous discussions on this. You simply can not get good quality results with any security camera which an HOA nazi will not notice.

Typically the best response to them is to threaten to hold them responsible when thefts happen because they do not allow you to properly security your property.

Natey2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HOAs are problematic. We've had numerous discussions on this. You simply can not get good quality results with any security camera which an HOA nazi will not notice.
I got away with this (V380) for over a year now, lol.

Sent using Tapatalk

DRZmaui

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reviewing the viedo, looks like she got into the blue toyota corolla. Maybe that might help the cop. Probably following the Amazon drop-off vehicle.

Keyboard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since this is such a common tactic, I was wondering if and how delivery companies train drivers to spot a package thief following them. And if they spot them, then what do they do?

On the other hand, I won't be surprised to see a rise with more people taking action into their own hands to retaliate against these thieves. Surveillance cameras are nice, but they don't help much if it doesn't translate into arrests.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Sent using Tapatalk
This cam is small.
Paint it to match. Get creative, hide it in a decoration.
Has it' been mentioned that HOA's suck?

Natey2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What I'd like to see is HOAs install commercial/military grade cams strategically placed around the community and make the videos accessible to homeowners.
Problem is many residents would object to that kind of 24/7 monitoring.
(I think it was Ben Franklin who said that people who would sacrifice essential liberty for some temporary safety deserve neither. I guess Ben never had to worry about his Amazon packages getting stolen every other day.)
That makes the burden fall on individual homeowners, each with different preferences on video security, some of which will not jive with what a HOA finds acceptable.
Hence, the dilemma.

Sent using Tapatalk