Amazon Package Thiefs

IAmATeaf

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe the uploaded footage played back via that website is just low quality? My friend has a 720p Ring doorbell and he’s shown me vids it’s taken and they looked good enough, certainly could make out my ugly mug

Natey2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On the other hand, I won't be surprised to see a rise with more people taking action into their own hands to retaliate against these thieves.
In California, the liability associated with someone (even a thief) getting hurt on your property would far exceed the cost of all lost Amazon packages.

Sent using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In California, the liability associated with someone (even a thief) getting hurt on your property would far exceed the cost of all lost Amazon packages.

Sent using Tapatalk
I bet!... In CA they be like: "Do you have home owners insurance?"

Notes:
1) I didn't find a better video of this.. not a fan of viralhog..
2) Cloud cameras - neither the nest camera nor the ring cameras took time stamps!!!

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm sure you need to be very careful taking any action whatsoever against a thief because you could be charged with assault, and held liable for any injuries the thief may incur.

In the video above, I wonder if the thieves could sue for damages on the grounds that having "stealable" packages in plain view on your property constitutes an "attractive nuisance".

StratRider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The more videos I see like this, it just stuns me that everyone isn't thinking of having cameras that can detect license plates.
It has become my #1 priority for the system I will be installing.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
As LPR cams become more common, the crooks will just disguise their plates or use stolen ones.

It seems like our various cameras are most effective when people aren't aware of the whole idea of security cameras.

As they become more common, the bad guys will adapt their strategies to hide their identities

Frankenscript

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm interested in LPR cams as well, but it's a challenge since there are HOA rules about my mailbox/post. Can't modify it. And my house is set back far enough from the street, that getting a good angle will require a long lens. OTOH, perhaps I should put in a nice hardscape close to the sidewalk with HOA approved block structures that just happen to be a good place to tuck some discrete LPR cameras into. :highfive: It would also have cameras looking back at the house. Thieves may not hunch up and cover their faces as much when facing away from the house...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm interested in LPR cams as well, but it's a challenge since there are HOA rules about my mailbox/post. Can't modify it. And my house is set back far enough from the street, that getting a good angle will require a long lens. OTOH, perhaps I should put in a nice hardscape close to the sidewalk with HOA approved block structures that just happen to be a good place to tuck some discrete LPR cameras into. :highfive: It would also have cameras looking back at the house. Thieves may not hunch up and cover their faces as much when facing away from the house...
Yeeeeeaaa!!! Another HOA win for the team!!

snova

n3wb
Reaction score
Not very good video. They need a better camera.

Did the cops catch the person from the video ?
Yes, because it’s not a 4K camera it’s preventing identification of the suspect. /sarcasm. IMHO, Some techies have more dollars than sense when it comes to whats required here. Video is more than adequate for its intended use.

area651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And Amazon is selling devices/interfaces that allows their delivery people to get inside your front door or garage to deliver a package "safely" ?
I wouldn't let those guys into my house under any circumstance.

Sent using Tapatalk
If there was only some way to have a camera record every time the garage door opened!

I do it. I watch the vid from every in garage delivery. I've never seen them cross the threshold into the garage. They park on the street, walk to the house (about 30ft), open the garage and set the package down. They really don't even glance around the garage. Then they shut the door & leave. Personally, I'd rather have packages delivered in garage or at a manned drop site than just left sitting in the open.

Last edited:

Xeddog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I couldn't do that with my garage. It is a fully stocked woodworking shop instead of a garage, with all manner of hand tools laying around. From cheap to expensive, almost all in nice cases to keep them together, and all with easy access.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I couldn't do it with my garage, either. Some of the junk in there might topple over on the poor delivery guy, and I'd be in for a serious lawsuit.