Ambient Weather Station and Weather Cam (IPC-T5442TM-AS) live happily together!

Reaction score
I thought #15 cam was enough...but nooooo.... @bp2008 gave me inspiration for a weather camera! Gave me a good excuse to purchase a Ambient Weather Station WS-2902b. Was about to buy an Accurite station, but the reviews scared me off.
I slapped up a 10' chain link fence rail. Bought a Dahua post mount plate. Ran outdoor weather rated Cat6 cable. The post is not grounded. Something I may look into.
Main reason why I always wanted to do this is because HOME is 5500' above sea level. Reno, NV proper is around 4500'. Big difference for weather patterns. It could be sunny and 50 degrees in Reno but windy & snowy at my HOME. Plus, future incorporation into Home Assistant home automation software for sprinklers, turning ceiling fans on depending on temp, etc.
I have some fine tuning to do for camera setup. But I'm happy to have things up & running.
Weather Outdoor Camera 2020-06-02 08.39.43.463 PM.jpgIMG_20200602_203732.jpg

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm looking at adding a weather station to the house and would like to add one or two small cameras to it.

How's it been working out pointed up like that?

Reaction score
I'm looking at adding a weather station to the house and would like to add one or two small cameras to it.

How's it been working out pointed up like that?
100% no issues at all. I was concerned about the camera looking directly into the sun for a year straight. Maybe if I had a cheap camera....but this Dahua has been superb for outdoor purposes.
Weather Camera x18 2021-06-12 06.17.27.485 PM.jpg

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You must be close to my Brother. He's just off Mount Rose Hwy. Not far from the Galena School with the big G in the hillside. He put up a weather station about a year ago. his altitude is similar.

Reaction score
You must be close to my Brother. He's just off Mount Rose Hwy. Not far from the Galena School with the big G in the hillside. He put up a weather station about a year ago. his altitude is similar.
ah yes...that big G on the hill. That is at the base of the mountain where the trees really start upward up to Lake Tahoe. Good neighborhood over there. Do you know why they put letters on hillsides? For aircraft. I forget the reasoning behind it but eh.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I like your satellite dish mount repurposed for an OTA antenna mount, nice work!
But the RF cable could use a little dressing. And don't forget the drip loop for your weather station cable.

Reaction score
I like your satellite dish mount repurposed for an OTA antenna mount, nice work!
But the RF cable could use a little dressing. And don't forget the drip loop for your weather station cable.
yea...gotta slap in a 1/2" EMT conduit for that. I installed this back when digital OTA was just coming out. Needed this big antennae to get all the stations due to mountains in the area. #157 on my to-do list!