Amcrest camera with Reolink NVR

Bradfm

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, so I am aware that officially Reolink says third party cameras aren't supported with their NVRs.

My question is, is that really the case? I connected my Amcrest camera to my network and it shows up in the "IP Camera" list but I cant get a picture even after setting username/password/port.

Anybody have any luck with a workaround this limitation? I've pretty much tried everything- plugging directly into NVR ports, router ports, changing port numbers, I tried placing the Amcrest on the same subnet (172.16.25.xx)...etc.

It seems odd to me that Reolink cameras are ONVIF compliant as well as my Amcrest, but cant work with each other on the NVR. The fact that it shows up on the camera list gives me hope that with a little workaround it may work....any ideas?

I'm starting to think the Reolink NVR looks at the MAC address of the camera and rejects it if it is not one of theirs, even if everything else is kosher.

Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so I am aware that officially Reolink says third party cameras aren't supported with their NVRs.

My question is, is that really the case? I connected my Amcrest camera to my network and it shows up in the "IP Camera" list but I cant get a picture even after setting username/password/port.

Anybody have any luck with a workaround this limitation? I've pretty much tried everything- plugging directly into NVR ports, router ports, changing port numbers, I tried placing the Amcrest on the same subnet (172.16.25.xx)...etc.

It seems odd to me that Reolink cameras are ONVIF compliant as well as my Amcrest, but cant work with each other on the NVR. The fact that it shows up on the camera list gives me hope that with a little workaround it may work....any ideas?

I'm starting to think the Reolink NVR looks at the MAC address of the camera and rejects it if it is not one of theirs, even if everything else is kosher.

Thanks.
Hi Bradfm

ONVIF - you would need to set the Amcrest camera to "talk" ONVIF and the NVR channel for that camera to be talking "ONVIF" - that should give you some basic functionality.

Bradfm

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The only option I have in the camera menu of the Amcrest is ONVIF enable/disable. Of course it is set to enable. I would think the camera is "broadcasting" ONVIF capabilities constantly when set to enable. Oddly, when I run "ONVIF Device Manager" (from Sourceforge) it pops up no problem and I can control it, etc.

I wonder if the Reolink NVR will only communicate on certain ports, as the Amcrest default is TCP 37777 and the Reolink cameras is 9000. I changed the Amcrest camera TCP port to 9000 but that didn't work either.

There are a bunch of other port settings... RTSP, RTMP, as shown from my attached Reolink cameras setup page (see attached picture). The Amcrest menu doesn't include some of these settings (RTMP, etc).

I gotta be missing something here.....

Attachments

Bradfm

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so after doing some research I probably should have realized this earlier- Reolink has embedded code prohibiting 3rd party cameras connecting to their systems. Pretty crappy for us guys who have cameras from multiple vendors. But I get it- in a market this saturated it makes sense to lock down your NVR. Still though- I definitely would have been a repeat customer with Reolink if they allowe 3rd party cameras---- but no way now.

Below is taken from a review of their system off Amazon-

"One thing I noticed when attempting to pick apart their firmware:
There is a dvr.xml file that appears to contain parameters

Previous firmware:
support_rtspauth="1"
support_onvifauth="1"
support_onvif="1"
support_rtsp="1"

New fimware:
support_rtspauth="0"
support_onvifauth="0"
support_onvif="0"
support_rtsp="0"
support_change_dvr_cameramode="0"

It looks like they disabled onvif and rtsp on the NVR. This shouldn't effect Reolink cameras at all, but might possibly cause issues if you're using other 3rd party cameras with the NVR."

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so after doing some research I probably should have realized this earlier- Reolink has embedded code prohibiting 3rd party cameras connecting to their systems. Pretty crappy for us guys who have cameras from multiple vendors. But I get it- in a market this saturated it makes sense to lock down your NVR. Still though- I definitely would have been a repeat customer with Reolink if they allowe 3rd party cameras---- but no way now.

Below is taken from a review of their system off Amazon-

"One thing I noticed when attempting to pick apart their firmware:
There is a dvr.xml file that appears to contain parameters

Previous firmware:
support_rtspauth="1"
support_onvifauth="1"
support_onvif="1"
support_rtsp="1"

New fimware:
support_rtspauth="0"
support_onvifauth="0"
support_onvif="0"
support_rtsp="0"
support_change_dvr_cameramode="0"

It looks like they disabled onvif and rtsp on the NVR. This shouldn't effect Reolink cameras at all, but might possibly cause issues if you're using other 3rd party cameras with the NVR."
It doesn't make sense to lock it down. No one locks down their NVR's. They are a scamming lying crappy company who falsly advertises onvif conformant when they are not.

Bradfm

n3wb
Reaction score
That I didnt know. Im pretty well versed in networking and couldnt for the life of me figure out why the damn thing wouldnt display video. I am new with buying NVRs (killer black friday deal on this bundle) and figured being an IP system, all cams would work. Silly me.

Reolink SUCKS.

Malish

n3wb
Reaction score
I know this thread is old, but I was able to get a reolink NVR to record amcrest cameras. The recording playback is fine, I just can't figure out how to get it to display a live stream yet.