Amcrest IP2M-841-V3 AP Roaming

Rapido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Although there is a close repeater (mesh network) my IP2M-841-V3 sometimes prefers to connect directly to the router and the connection then is worse as it would be with the repeater.

I can't see that the cam supports Access Point Roaming.

Question to Amcrest Support: Is there any chance that support for wifi standards 802.11k und 802.11v might be added for these cams, so they would always automatically connect to the best access point?

Please consider it, it would be a major enhancement. Thanks.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the SSID of the repeaters automatically set to be the same as the SSID of the router?
I was thinking to somehow prevent the 841 from logging into the SSID of the router, if its SSID or it's password could be made different from those of the repeater.

Rapido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is the SSID of the repeaters automatically set to be the same as the SSID of the router?
Thank you Tony.

Yes, that's the prereq for a mesh network. Two different SSIDs result in two different networks, making it harder to manage the cams.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you Tony.

Two different SSIDs result in two different networks, making it harder to manage the cams.
And in the meantime creating an issue with a not-so-smart camera. I sure would not hold my breath waiting for Amcrest.

Could you create a guest or a new SSID with a password that you keep confidential and place only that cam on it?

Rapido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions. :thumb:
I'm using Onvier on my mobile phone to check the cams. I think it would fail when that garage cam would have another network.

I have created a shortcut to reboot the cam (192.168.178.222/cgi-bin/magicBox.cgi?action=reboot ) when I notice, that the cam has skipped the repeater again. That works quite well.

I had the same problem with another WiFi-device in the garage (Shelly uni) until I noticed, that the Shelly had an AP roaming option, that was not yet enabled. Once enabled, the Shelly periodically looks for the best signal. Unfortunately the Amcrest Wi-Fi seams kind of outdated, that option is not available (and 5GHz isn't either).