Amcrest or Annke?, I finally found my camera

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've spent two months researching for the best low cost LAN camera system for my needs (two or three cameras). After bouncing back and forth between a analog DVR system, a IP NVR system, and a stand alone system connected to a route, I chose the stand alone system strictly because of its low price

Its now down to either the Amcrest 5MP ultraHD IP turret camera, or the Annke C500 5MP turret IP camera. They both have all the features I have been looking for

1. They both can be used as local CCTV cameras (connected to a offline router) and dont need internet access or a proprietary app to function

2. They both have h.265 compression and 256gb memory card slots

3. They are both onvif compatible to some degree, don't need a NVR, and function with third party software and RTSP, and they are both $50.

Amcrest holds the advantage with a 103 fov against the Annke 71.5 fov, even though both use 2.8mm lenses. And, it appears Annke is a rebranded Hikvision and Amcrest is a rebranded Dahua. I have stayed away from researching those two companies because of their high prices.

I am heavily leaning towards the Amcrest but have one concern about a mobile app that will work with the Amcrest. It says in the description on Amazon that Annke works with many different third party software's, but Amcrest says its basically limited to blue iris , which I can't buy at the moment, and because I will be using a mobile app and not a PC to view recordings.

So does anyone know of any free mobile apps that will connect and let me control this Amcrest camera locally from my phone?.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Amcrest has a mobile app that should work? And since they are Dahua cams, the gmss app should work as well. I have used the gmss app for Dahua, Lorex, and Amcrest without having an internet connection, which I know is what you are going for.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
If they are standard IP cams that provide a RTSP stream, then just about any IP cam software can connect with them. I use IP Cam Viewer Pro on my Android phone.

A 2.8mm lens will produce a really wide shot. Depending on how high you mount it may make it difficult to ID a persons face.

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Amcrest has a mobile app that should work? And since they are Dahua cams, the gmss app should work as well. I have used the gmss app for Dahua, Lorex, and Amcrest without having an internet connection, which I know is what you are going for.
I download the Amcrest app from the play store, but was not sure if it requires internet access to function. I did not know of the gDMSS app, thanks for mentioning it.

Also, I saw a watched a video on YouTube titled "turning a $100 security camera into a $300 security camera", in which the guy downloaded the Dahua firmware onto his Amcrest and got many more options for his camera that weren't included with his Amcrest firmware. That was a big selling point for me. I have been impressed with the Dahua cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should not need the internet for the Amcrest app to work, but if you do, then go with gDMSS.

Yeah, many threads here about people finding the comparable Dahua camera to their Amcrest or Dahua cam and doing exactly that. Not that you will need to with what you are using this for, but yeah, it typically means they are a little better than some no-name on ebay LOL.

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If they are standard IP cams that provide a RTSP stream, then just about any IP cam software can connect with them. I use IP Cam Viewer Pro on my Android phone.

A 2.8mm lens will produce a really wide shot. Depending on how high you mount it may make it difficult to ID a persons face.
I'm new to all of this, so taking it one step at a time. Both cameras support RTSP, so then you're saying both cameras should function with ispy, tinycam etc?

I'll check out IP cam Viewer pro, thanks. I have about 5 IP camera apps on my phone right now.

I need wide view to use fewer cameras. I know everyone in my warehouse so in don't need a higher mm lens to see faces. But I was surprised to find out not all mm lenses have the same fov

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I can't edit my post. I meant But I was surprised to find out not all 2.8mm lenses have the same fov

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The difference in FOV can also happen due to sensor size. A larger sensor usually will have a wider FOV with a given lens size when compared to a smaller sensor.
Yes, I read there were other variables to fov. But one would think someone who wants a 2.8mm lens wants more than a 71.5 fov

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If the sensor is smaller, and I haven't looked to see sensor sizes on those cameras, it will have a smaller FOV by simple physics and those laws won't change no matter who makes the camera. Just a guess, but I'll bet the wider FOV camera has a larger sensor which, in turn, should translate to better video in marginal lighting conditions.

ttplayer4life

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use gDMSS (Dahua) app to view my Amcrest 5MP ultraHD IP turret cameras onsite at home with cameras. Also viewing / recording with Dahua PC NVR software on a Windows 10 pc. I view the cameras remotely by logging into the Windows pc using RemotePC remote access software. My daughter didn't want an Asus router running OpenVPN for remote access viewing.

I've been a Hikvision camera user / advocate for years but now having seen the Amcrest (Dahua) value cameras, I may switch. Dahua supports web browsers while Hikvision still requires stupid plug-ins.

Btw, currently I'm having problems viewing Annke C500 turret cameras on my Windows 10 pc running ivms4200 PC NVR. I can view them on my android ivms4500 app. Annke support has yet to answer re problem so I may return them.

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use gDMSS (Dahua) app to view my Amcrest 5MP ultraHD IP turret cameras onsite at home with cameras. Also viewing / recording with Dahua PC NVR software on a Windows 10 pc. I view the cameras remotely by logging into the Windows pc using RemotePC remote access software. My daughter didn't want an Asus router running OpenVPN for remote access viewing.

I've been a Hikvision camera user / advocate for years but now having seen the Amcrest (Dahua) value cameras, I may switch. Dahua supports web browsers while Hikvision still requires stupid plug-ins.

Btw, currently I'm having problems viewing Annke C500 turret cameras on my Windows 10 pc running ivms4200 PC NVR. I can view them on my android ivms4500 app. Annke support has yet to answer re problem so I may return them.
I'll look into RemotePC, my boss would like the ability to see the cameras from home. I was extremely impressed with the video quality of the $50 amcrest 5mp camera, the color saturation and clarity are great. I can only imagine what the 4k cameras looks like. But what impressed me the most was its color night vision. Right after the sun sets it still looks like its 4pm.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'll look into RemotePC, my boss would like the ability to see the cameras from home. I was extremely impressed with the video quality of the $50 amcrest 5mp camera, the color saturation and clarity are great. I can only imagine what the 4k cameras looks like. But what impressed me the most was its color night vision. Right after the sun sets it still looks like its 4pm.
What does it look like at night with motion? I can make a cheap camera look like noon at midnight, but motion is complete garbage...

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What does it look like at night with motion? I can make a cheap camera look like noon at midnight, but motion is complete garbage...
The camera is in the parking lot and I see no difference with cars driving by after dark. It uses Sonys starlight sensor

Look on YouTube for "Dahua Full-color camera"

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to pause the live video when a car is in motion. How much blur is there when you pause? Can you make out the color/make/model when paused?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am fully aware what the starlight and full color camera is and have such cameras....and know they are marketing terms as well....and that doesn't answer my question....

How does a $50 Amcrest 5MP camera look on motion...as @biggen gets to more pointed than I did - can you pause a playback and get clean images of people walking or cars in motion that you can IDENTIFY or is their motion blur?

Most people that have posted videos or stills of motion on a 5MP camera cannot be used for identification purposes at night because the motion is a blur.

People here care about getting clean motion videos and still images from someone in motion.

Now maybe yours is an unique case getting parking lot captures from a lot I would assume has lights in it.

Everyone has a different opinion on what "I see no difference with cars driving by after dark" means, so a sample video of a car in motion or a freeze frame picture of a car in motion is helpful for folks to determine how a particular camera performs at night at a particular price point.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 3 in the laundry rooms at my Condo. I cannot attest to night motion, but it has decent lowlight ability to stay in color when the lights turn off with ambient light from the hallway. And of course with the lights on, I can recognize which resident is using the machines. But I can put names to faces becuase i know all 100 of them. I like the built in audio. I might buy a couple to try at home.

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe you meant pause the recorded video, I can't pause live video on the amcrest app. I just tried pausing last nights recorded video and the still image of trucks driving by and people walking look flawless. Even with the digital zoom

I would think the framerates, bitrates or the megapixel of the camera might effect the quality of the paused image. I record at the highest pixelation

Last edited: